• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory Gone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

7 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I agree. Each time you have to pay out a coaches contract after firing them early before their contract ends you lose money. I assume this upcoming season we will be paying Scott and Gregory for doing nothing. Would have been better to invest that lost money on a proven coach from the get go. A coach that we didn't have to fire because of performance, or in some cases even gain money because that coach moves on to a power five conference.

I know no coach brings guaranteed success. However going the cheaper route could in many cases be more expensive then going with an established coach

Welp we swung and missed on a “brand name” coach before and he took us for at least 5 mill. I guess USF sucks at hiring coaches.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

29 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Welp we swung and missed on a “brand name” coach before and he took us for at least 5 mill. I guess USF sucks at hiring coaches.

We really haven't gone for a "brand-named" coach often. And everyone's definition of what "brand name" means will be different, but in my opinion right now we are 2-1. Taggart and Heath ended up being good hires. Holtz ended up being a bad hire, although we still had a good year and some notable wins under him ( Notre Dame, Clemson,Miami,..).

I think your chances of success are higher when going with an established coach with a track record of winning vs someone who hasn't been a HC before, or someone with a mixed record but recent losing.

Edited by belgianbull
Didnt beat West Virginia
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

34 minutes ago, jchem1995 said:

Actually we need a slam dunk coach now. We already tried the brand name coach. Now we need Pitino..

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,504
  • Days Won:  43

D3A6A9EB-0160-4D8E-BA1B-E225E16FF2E1.png

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  40

28 minutes ago, Bull Awakening said:

D3A6A9EB-0160-4D8E-BA1B-E225E16FF2E1.png

It is a selling point 🤔

We also have Portillos.

Edited by Rocky Style
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374

On 3/15/2023 at 1:11 PM, USF_Bullsharks said:

Fair point. I do think the proven vet vs rising assistant is an art, not a science, there will never be a "right" nor wrong. I also believe hiring a successful coach from a successful program tends to be far more expensive than what USF has been able  willing to pay, not that we haven't wanted to. 

Either way, hopefully we can get a couple coaches right at the same time. Then, hopefully we generate the support that allows us to keep them. 

FIFY

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,046
  • Days Won:  10

How about Bob Richey the Furman coach? They just beat Virginia in the NCAAT. Has a 138-54 record at Furman. They were 27-7 this year; 22-12 last year. Also took them to the NIT.

Edited by belgianbull

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374

2 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

How about Bob Richey the Furman coach? They just beat Virginia in the NCAAT. Has a 138-54 record at Furman. They were 27-7 this year; 22-12 last year. Also took them to the NIT.

Will he work for.chickens and goats  🐐 

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,322
  • Days Won:  2

20 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Pretty sure he was in the running and now you can get rid of any realistic talk about him coming here lol. He’ll have much better opportunities than USF. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

28 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

NO