• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory Gone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

3 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

USF development folks are kinda like traveling revivalists. They keep on on preaching better times ahead if you only keep putting dollars in the plate.  Only thing is, the reward won't come 'til after I'm dead.

Don't leave us yet, my friend!

I truly believe that - with the right, proven guy - hoops can find almost instant respectability in this age of the transfer portal. Quite honestly, it should have happened this year with Harris, Miguel and Bryant. That was an 18-20 win team that wasn't.

And football? Look at the conference we're currently in. It's not exactly murderer's row. No reason that shouldn't turn around within two/three seasons if our new head coach doesn't end up being another up-and-comer who isn't.

Baseball? That one remains a bit of a mystery when we're getting beaten by Northeastern and Dartmouth.

So there's my "better times are ahead" speech. I just have to convince myself, too. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

42 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

John, honestly, it's really difficult to see that "better times are ahead." When it comes to progress toward a new stadium, definitely, yes! That's tangible. When it comes to our key programs - football, men's hoops and baseball - it's REALLY hard to look at them today and definitively say that better times are ahead. What indications do we have that that is the case? New coaching hires in all three (probably) don't guarantee that better times are ahead. There is no evident upward trajectory that can be pointed to in any of the three programs.

Just being around the FB program the last few months has my reason for optimism being very high. The one thing that has been lacking since Coach Taggart, i.e. recruiting, is not lacking here. This staff, as was the case with Coach Leavitt and Coach Taggart, is not going to be afraid to go after anyone on the recruiting trail.

Will be curious to see how long the coaching hire for MBB takes. I know that you don't necessarily have to rush things, so this will an interesting ride as the NCAA Tournament takes place.

14 minutes ago, SilverBull said:

USF development folks are kinda like traveling revivalists. They keep on on preaching better times ahead if you only keep putting dollars in the plate.  Only thing is, the reward won't come 'til after I'm dead.

The reward is hopefully coming before that.

1 minute ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I truly believe that - with the right, proven guy - hoops can find almost instant respectability in this age of the transfer portal. Quite honestly, it should have happened this year with Harris, Miguel and Bryant. That was an 18-20 win team that wasn't.

Was discussing this with a co-worker last week and this team should have won 21 games during the regular season.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

14 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Just being around the FB program the last few months has my reason for optimism being very high. The one thing that has been lacking since Coach Taggart, i.e. recruiting, is not lacking here. This staff, as was the case with Coach Leavitt and Coach Taggart, is not going to be afraid to go after anyone on the recruiting trail.

Will be curious to see how long the coaching hire for MBB takes. I know that you don't necessarily have to rush things, so this will an interesting ride as the NCAA Tournament takes place.

Thanks for that perspective, John. I hope you're right about Coach Golesh and staff and they are the right formula.

I will say, though, that if we're waiting for the NCAA Tournament to finish before we hire a MBB coach, then we're probably looking at a name-brand program assistant (Orlando Antigua at Kentucky) or some low mid-major coach who makes a temporary splash (Steve Masiello at Manhattan) - and neither is encouraging to me. If someone tells me my guy isn't interested, I'll move on and look at other options. But until I hear that, I'm beating the drum.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

5 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Thanks for that perspective, John. I hope you're right about Coach Golesh and staff and they are the right formula.

I will say, though, that if we're waiting for the NCAA Tournament to finish before we hire a MBB coach, then we're probably looking at a name-brand program assistant (Orlando Antigua at Kentucky) or some low mid-major coach who makes a temporary splash (Steve Masiello at Manhattan) - and neither is encouraging to me. If someone tells me my guy isn't interested, I'll move on and look at other options. But until I hear that, I'm beating the drum.

Not sure if we are waiting or not.

If memory serves me correctly, Coach Heath was fired before the NCAA Tournament and we waited a couple of weeks before he was ultimately hired.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,724
  • Days Won:  109

1 hour ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Too conservative is right.  It’s like they are more afraid of the possibility of offending somebody than they are of picking a guy who can’t win.  

Without getting political I think Will Weatherford was some high ranking conservative so not everyone there is what you are calling woke.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

5 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Without getting political I think Will Weatherford was some high ranking conservative so not everyone there is what you are calling woke.

Not really calling anybody woke or anything here, but just suggesting that its difficult/nearly impossible to find a known/successful coach that doesn't have some aspect that will upset some people.  Anybody who stands for something will have some people who disagree with that stance.  Anybody who has a past will have some people who don't approve of their past.  I think that's what I meant.  It goes both ways.  I just want USF to win basketball games.

• Upvote 4

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,508
  • Days Won:  13

50 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Weatherford was Speaker of the House

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433
  • Days Won:  3

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Isn't conservative the opposite of woke?

Too conservative would mean too anti-woke, no?

Los Angeles What GIF by LA Clippers