• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gregory Gone

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,038
  • Days Won:  10

3 hours ago, flsportsfan83 said:

He will have better options.

I am not sure. If we put enough money I think we can get May. He's kind of the same pedigree as Taggart or Holtz (I know he didn't work out); upcoming coach from a mid major. if we were able to get Holtz and Taggart I think we can get May. Mike Kelly needs to just get it done.

And if not May someone of similar quality.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  393
  • Days Won:  0

I think hiring the Kennesaw State Basketball coach, Amir Abdur-Rahim would be a really great hire! I hope Michael Kelly calls him ASAP!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,693
  • Days Won:  424

20 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Home run hires? I really doubt it. Great year for Dusty May and FAU in 2022-23. In his four previous seasons there, the Owls were 66-56. He's just as likely to be Steve Masiello Part II, who was a hot name after a 25-8 season at Manhattan in 2013-14 and then bottomed out. Bob Richey? Nice win totals, but he won his first SoCon title this year - his sixth season at Furman. None of these low mid-major coaches are home runs. You take a shot with them and hope, because that's all you can do. But definitely NOT home run hires.

If we end up with a guy like one of these two, we may have a shot, but who knows? Just like the gamble we take with Golesh.

Definitely no such thing as a home run hire. Even though a hire with head coach experience may have a little better chance than an assistant because of no ojt, all you can do is hope with any of them.

Richey is kind of intriguing though. Even though he only won his first conf title this year, he's had a .720 winning pctg, .743 in conference, never finishing lower than 3rd in reg season. Believe he'll be going somewhere this year ...

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,167
  • Days Won:  56

5 minutes ago, CoralSpringsBull said:

I think hiring the Kennesaw State Basketball coach, Amir Abdur-Rahim would be a really great hire! I hope Michael Kelly calls him ASAP!

Career record of 45-73. That would play really well.

47 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I am not sure. If we put enough money I think we can get May. He's kind of the same pedigree as Taggart or Holtz (I know he didn't work out); upcoming coach from a mid major. if we were able to get Holtz and Taggart I think we can get May. Mike Kelly needs to just get it done.

And if not May someone of similar quality.

Although it's kind of hard to translate pedigrees across sports, he's a lot closer to Willie's than Skip's.

He may turn out to be awesome at his next spot but I don't see a need to "put enough money" together to try and get him at this point in time .... although he is a Hoosier so he's got that going for him.

12 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Definitely no such thing as a home run hire. Even though a hire with head coach experience may have a little better chance than an assistant because of no ojt, all you can do is hope with any of them.

Richey is kind of intriguing though. Even though he only won his first conf title this year, he's had a .720 winning pctg, .743 in conference, never finishing lower than 3rd in reg season. Believe he'll be going somewhere this year ...

I think every hire comes with different odds of success.  There are no exact numbers so I know I am making these numbers up for the sake of my argument, but you hire someone like Pitino and the odds of success are probably 9 in 10, you hire someone like May or Richey its probably around  3 out of 4, perhaps even 8 out of 10. You hire someone like Gregory or Antigua and your odds are much much  lower.

3 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

I think every hire comes with different odds of success.  There are no exact numbers so I know I am making these numbers up for the sake of my argument, but you hire someone like Pitino and the odds of success are probably 9 in 10, you hire someone like May or Richey its probably around  3 out of 4, perhaps even 8 out of 10. You hire someone like Gregory or Antigua and your odds are much much  lower.

Can't really argue those odds considering those are just opinions but Gregory's overall resume was better than May or Richie so not seeing that correlation. Agree odds better with May/Richie, not much much though, than someone like COA but that's because of head coach experience vs no hc experience ....

3 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Can't really argue those odds considering those are just opinions but Gregory's overall resume was better than May or Richie so not seeing that correlation. Agree odds better with May/Richie, not much much though, than someone like COA but that's because of head coach experience vs no hc experience ....

Gregory had a 76-86 record at Georgia Tech before he came to USF. Also didn't he get fired? Gregory did well earlier in his career, but was at best average at Georgia Tech.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  686
  • Content Count:  7,656
  • Days Won:  6

1 hour ago, belgianbull said:

I am not sure. If we put enough money I think we can get May. He's kind of the same pedigree as Taggart or Holtz (I know he didn't work out); upcoming coach from a mid major. if we were able to get Holtz and Taggart I think we can get May. Mike Kelly needs to just get it done.  And if not May someone of similar quality.

Would like to get May, but not sure we have enough to offer him that FAU wouldn't match - money, better facilities?  It sure isn't a better conference at this point.

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,364
  • Days Won:  5

4 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Gregory had a 76-86 record at Georgia Tech before he came to USF. Also didn't he get fired? Gregory did well earlier in his career, but was at best average at Georgia Tech.

Gregory was better at Dayton than May has been at FAU.  Can't compare performance in the ACC to Conf USA

• Upvote 1