• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So our game with NCState is moved and . . .

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

5 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Its just a matter of time until they phase out these games completely or drastically reduce the number of these games against Group of 5 teams. With the 12 team playoff strength of schedule will become more important

Sooooo, should they play a top 50 team from a G5 conference or a bottom 50 from a P5? Or does a #68 P5 carry more weight than a #38 G5? I'm pretty sure that's not the way strength of schedule works. 😎🤘

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

I just hope the team improves enough next season so that Raymond James is not a comfortable place for Owls to nest. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

3 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Sooooo, should they play a top 50 team from a G5 conference or a bottom 50 from a P5? Or does a #68 P5 carry more weight than a #38 G5? I'm pretty sure that's not the way strength of schedule works. 😎🤘

Besides a handful of teams there are really no group of five teams left that are consistently in the top 50 of the country. The scheduling of a particular team is usually done several years ahead, so its hard to predict what group of five teams will be good years from now. Troy, Coastal Carolina, and UTSA are verry good right now, but its hard to say where they will be lets say two years from now. Also with  strength of schedule I am not talking about a computer calculated one, but about perception. A Power 5 team would rather play a 75th rated Texas Tech vs a 55th rated Temple because in the eyes of those who decide on the playoffs it will look better

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,546
  • Days Won:  28

40 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Its just a matter of time until they phase out these games completely or drastically reduce the number of these games against Group of 5 teams. With the 12 team playoff strength of schedule will become more important

I disagree with you. If the playoffs are expanded from 4 -12 teams and now includes, not 1, but possibly 2 G6 teams, there is less pressure to have a perfect record or have the strongest SOS.  With 12 teams and a guaranteed spot for a G6 team, a 1-3 loss team can make the playoffs. This actually takes away a crapload of pressure off from schools to have to make their opponent schedule tougher. No matter what the SOS is, the highest ranked G6 team that wins their conference makes the playoffs.

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,029
  • Days Won:  10

13 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I disagree with you. If the playoffs are expanded from 4 -12 teams and now includes, not 1, but possibly 2 G6 teams, there is less pressure to have a perfect record or have the strongest SOS.  With 12 teams and a guaranteed spot for a G6 team, a 1-3 loss team can make the playoffs. This actually takes away a crapload of pressure off from schools to have to make their opponent schedule tougher. No matter what the SOS is, the highest ranked G6 team that wins their conference makes the playoffs.

Good points, but still you have 12 teams, 6 of them will be conference champions, at least 2 or even 3 more will come out of the SEC ( since they are and probably will be by far the strongest conference) which leaves only 3 or 4 teams left to make it to the playoffs. In that scenario for teams not in the SEC there will not be  a lot of room for error; hence many teams will look to strengthen their schedule. If that's the case it would make more sense for an ACC team to play a lower rated Big 12 team vs playing a lower rated group of 5 team.

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

20 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Once the P5s stop playing the G5s, I think you'll see a lot fewer "highly ranked" G5 teams because they simply won't have the resume that either the Coaches' Poll or the AP poll, or even the CFP conglomerate will want to see to rank them higher.