• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

In Game Thread: Women's Basketball at Memphis Tigers - 3 PM - ESPN+

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

3 hours ago, Doc said:

Still here. Don’t post much, though. Been to plenty of women’s games and the crowd here isn’t too bad, comparatively speaking. 

Doc! I was trying to get someone to say hi to you today from me. I didn't know you were on here. Great to see you from a distance today. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,462
  • Days Won:  25

Just my opinion, but I thought this was a pretty good win today. IIRC Tulsa was picked to win the conference. And after crushing them I thought this could be a trap game. Congrats to the ladies for taking care of business.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

9 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Just my opinion, but I thought this was a pretty good win today. IIRC Tulsa was picked to win the conference. And after crushing them I thought this could be a trap game. Congrats to the ladies for taking care of business.

Your USF Bulls were picked to win the conference. Tulsa was the only other team to receive any preseason first place votes besides us.

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,693
  • Days Won:  108

14 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

The men play where the Grizzlies play but this arena is probably for women's basketball and anything else requiring an arena.

You mean the men play in an off Campus stadium?  What about their football team? :hijack:

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  161

South Fla. Logo
South Fla. 20-4,9-0 AAC
Memphis Logo
Memphis 12-9,4-4 AAC
Score By Periods
Team 1 2 3 4 F
South Fla. 18 16 18 15 67
Memphis 10 14 17 21 62

Game Recap: Women's Basketball | January 28, 2023

South Florida Wins Its 20th Game of the Season In a 67-62 Victory at Memphis

East Carolina

Next Game:

East Carolina

1/31/2023 | 7 p.m.

ESPN+

Bulls Unlimited

Game Details
RV/25 USF 67, Memphis 62
USF (20-4, 9-0 AAC), Memphis (12-9, 4-4 AAC)
Saturday, Jan. 28, 2023 | 3 p.m. ET | ESPN+
Memphis, Tenn. | Elma Roane Fieldhouse

MEMPHIS, Tenn. (Jan. 28, 2023) — The University of South Florida women's basketball team won its 20th game in a season for the 11th time in program history with a 67-62 victory at Memphis in Elma Roane Fieldhouse on Saturday afternoon. The win improves the Bulls to 20-4 on the year and 9-0 in the American Athletic Conference. The Tigers fall to 12-9 overall and 4-4 in league play.

The win is also the 10th straight for South Florida and its 13th win in the last 15 games.

Elena Tsineke poured in a game-high 23 points and Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu had 17 points and 13 rebounds in the win. Fankam Mendjiadeu hit another impressive milestone, grabbing her 1,000th career rebound with her ninth of the game.

Sammie Puisis also made her way into double figures in the scoring column with 14 points.

The Bulls led 34-24 at the half and by 11 points, 52-42, at the end of the third quarter.

South Florida extended its lead to a game-high 14 points, 57-43, with 8:23 left in the game on a three-point shot by Sammie Puisis. Despite holding that same margin twice over the next two minutes, Memphis battled back to cut the Bulls' lead to five points in the final two minutes but couldn't get any closer.

Fankam Mendjiadeu hit a layup with just over a minute left and Tsineke hit two free throws with under 30 seconds left to secure the win. 

With the win, South Florida Head Coach Jose Fernandez recorded his 117th career conference win in The American, just one shy of tying UConn Head Coach Geno Auriemma's 118 league wins in the AAC, and two from becoming The American's all-time leader in conference wins.

Notable
  • Saturday's starters for the Bulls were: G Elena Tsineke, G Aerial Wilson, F Sammie Puisis, F Carla Brito and F Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu … South Florida is 17-4 with this lineup.
  • The win over Memphis improves the Bulls' record against the Tigers to 16-15 in the all-time series … The win for South Florida is the fifth straight over Memphis and the 14th in the last 17 games.    
  • Elena Tsineke's 23 points against Memphis mark her 80th career double-figure scoring game in her 103rd career game with the Bulls ... It is also her third-straight 20-point game.
  • Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu's 17 points and 13 rebounds mark her 50th career double-double and her 25th in a South Florida uniform.
  • With her ninth rebound of the afternoon, Dulcy Fankam Mendjiadeu reached the 1,000-rebound plateau between her time with Memphis and South Florida.
Up Next
The Bulls will return to the Yuengling Center for two out of their next three games, beginning on Jan. 31 when they take on East Carolina at 7 p.m. (ESPN+) for Team Tykes Night. South Florida will also face Houston at home, on Feb. 12 (2 p.m. ESPN2) during the three-game stretch. The Bulls' lone road game during that time will be at SMU on Feb. 4 at 3 p.m. ET (ESPN+).

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  161

image.thumb.png.a056ec83f31bf5547e9cf8d3dd23d854.png

how the heck does this score make any sense?

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

51 minutes ago, MikeG said:

That Houston defense against us was pretty tough. Not looking forward to our rematch.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

On 1/29/2023 at 4:44 PM, USFBulls12 said:

That Houston defense against us was pretty tough. Not looking forward to our rematch.

If they shoot better, it could be a nail-biter. We shot well from the field against them, but were abysmal from the FT line and turned the ball over like crazy (23). It was a very weird game, for sure. I don't see the sequel playing out the same way. Houston will shoot better, but we won't be as careless with the ball....I hope. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

On 1/29/2023 at 3:51 PM, MikeG said:

Houston was picked to finish second in the conference in the pre-season. They have lost a bunch of games by single-digit margins. Houston hit 12 of 24 from 3 point range against Tulane....that is highly unlikely to happen again. They shot 4 of 20 against us and they are only 26% on the season from 3, so this was definitely an outlier. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Just keep winning women Bulls