• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Replacements for Jeff Scott

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,773
  • Days Won:  3

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever asked (really, honest-to-God, straight up) Leavitt if he would consider returning to coach at U of SF? Not asking your opinion if xCJL would come back, but what is HIS take on returning to USF. The reason I ask this is there is a lot of keyboarding, and shooting salt water from tear ducts, pining over the good ole days. It seems to me that if - huge, enormous if - USF were to entertain re-hiring xCJL, would there be an apology in the offing? Or is simply re-hiring him an apology enough? Is it a case of "aw shucks, how’s 'bout we just let bygones be bygones"? It could well be that xCJL has put USF in the rear-view mirror and feelings of nostalgia might not run both ways, or certainly not as deep. 

What would happen, since we're all just spitballin' here, if CJL 2.0 doesn't have the same magic / mojo / success as the original recipe? Don't say "Oh, but if we could just get three or four wins a season that would be such a phenomenal improvement, we'd be happy with that!" Un uh. Not buying it. Seems to me that the subject of ‘plateauing’ came up some years back…hmmm, trying to remember the context of that 🤔. I know, I know, some of you like to pine over romance of yesteryear, but I just don't think hitting the replay button is the way to go.  Find some guy who’s been a head coach at the sub-FBS division, a proven track record of winning and wants to coach here at USF (even though it's an audition for the bigs, we all know it). Apparently, there is a huge chasm between being assistant deputy vice undersecretary for football offensive operations (shortened to co-coordinator) and being a head coach in FBSland. Lesson learned, improve the next time around. 😎

Edited by WoolyBully
punctuation
  • Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

36 minutes ago, WoolyBully said:

Just out of curiosity, has anyone ever asked (really, honest-to-God, straight up) Leavitt if he would consider returning to coach at U of SF? Not asking your opinion if xCJL would come back, but what is HIS take on returning to USF. The reason I ask this is there is a lot of keyboarding, and shooting salt water from tear ducts, pining over the good ole days. It seems to me that if - huge, enormous if - USF were to entertain re-hiring xCJL, would there be an apology in the offing? Or is simply re-hiring him an apology enough? Is it a case of "aw shucks, how’s 'bout we just let bygones be bygones"? It could well be that xCJL has put USF in the rear-view mirror and feelings of nostalgia might not run both ways, or certainly not as deep. 

What would happen, since we're all just spitballin' here, if CJL 2.0 doesn't have the same magic / mojo / success as the original recipe? Don't say "Oh, but if we could just get three or four wins a season that would be such a phenomenal improvement, we'd be happy with that! Un uh. Not buying it. Seems to me that the subject of ‘plateauing’ came up some years back…hmmm, trying to remember the context of that 🤔. I know, I know, some of you like to pine over romance of yesteryear, but I just don't think hitting the replay button is the way to go. 

CJL has been (what I interpret as) hinting about wanting to come back both at the occasion of CJS's hiring and now.  I have no doubt that he would jump at the chance.  The guy is my age and I've been retired for seven years.  He would come back for a few years, find peace, and hand it off to someone in waiting.  In the meantime, the headlines throughout the sports media will shock the former fans into at least intrigue as to what he will do and his first year back will be marked with improved attendance.

The man had passion and a love for USF.  We owe the offer to him and if he accepts, I believe you would see many former donors suddenly interested in their alma mater again.

If it doesn't work out for some reason, we still would be better off than now and can just hit reset.  We have to do it anyway.

I admit, I am firmly a Leavite.  I have never been so excited for USF football as when Leavitt was coach.  I want to see him go crazy on the sidelines, make the "Me No Likey" face, and body slam the stands like at UCF when we beat them at the Citrus Bowl.

They say you can never go home again.  I say "let's right a wrong" and enjoy the karma that brings.

proxy-image?piurl=https%3A%2F%2Fimages.csmonitor.com%2Fcsmarchives%2F2010%2F01%2F0108-jim-leavitt-football-coach.jpg%3Falias%3Dstandard_900x600&sp=1667726318Te31eb501042a0dae772a347bafa6973bece862b09b0cd0c56ae8372df95dd935

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

15 hours ago, pc17 said:

If you want to constantly lose one-possession games, he's your guy

he didnt lose much in orlando

leavitt is a liability. no usf president would sign off on this

no school president would put him in charge

we should hire someone that has won championships in the lower levels

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

12 hours ago, TExpress said:

Deion Sanders is getting 4 and 5 star recruits to go to a no name school and is about to be 9-0. Would be interesting to see what he could do here.

deion isnt coming here when power 5 schools will give him a fat contract

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,081
  • Days Won:  39

10 hours ago, Peatearpan said:

I heard he posed nude with a shark

Sounds like he likes to party.  Seems Tampa adjacent.

4 minutes ago, smazza said:

deion isnt coming here when power 5 schools will give him a fat contract

Yeah we whiffed on that opportunity.  Could have been the kings in the NIL era.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,651
  • Days Won:  424

9 hours ago, Brad said:

And my anger over the years has been about my alma mater and how they handled that "situation".  I was so ashamed, so negative and so disconnected from USF because of it.  Selfishly speaking, it's just the fact that this powerful institution could right the wrong and show some ******* decency, contrition and interest in the rest of us.  It would be spectacular.   Afterall, they try to teach us all to do the same.  They broke ethical norms.  I thought MK was not cut from the same mold.  I thought he'd at least find a way three years ago.  He didn't. CJL was hoping for it, this I know.  Final chance to fix the program, the University and the fans.  If we pass on this time, we'll NEVER do it right.  Inviting him back at your pleasure when he's 80 years old is no good.  ******* end this nightmare.  Don't continue to make it worse.

Ya couldn't just leave it at rehire The Jim, had to go off the ******* deep end .......... you're killing me.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,410
  • Days Won:  3

I would assume VPMK takes the easy route and goes with Chad Morris with extensions. 

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

What would happen, since we're all just spitballin' here, if CJL 2.0 doesn't have the same magic / mojo / success as the original recipe? Don't say "Oh, but if we could just get three or four wins a season that would be such a phenomenal improvement, we'd be happy with that!" Un uh. Not buying it. Seems to me that the subject of ‘plateauing’ came up some years back…hmmm, trying to remember the context of that 🤔. I know, I know, some of you like to pine over romance of yesteryear, but I just don't think hitting the replay button is the way to go.  Find some guy who’s been a head coach at the sub-FBS division, a proven track record of winning and wants to coach here at USF (even though it's an audition for the bigs, we all know it). Apparently, there is a huge chasm between being assistant deputy vice undersecretary for football offensive operations (shortened to co-coordinator) and being a head coach in FBSland. Lesson learned, improve the next time around. 😎

I think Brad has stated, or at least hinted, that he knows CJL wants to come back .... I'm sure he'll correct me if I have that wrong.

• Topic Count:  358
  • Content Count:  4,148
  • Days Won:  56

5 hours ago, WoolyBully said:

Doesn’t matter if he wants to come back or not, the university isn’t re-hiring him. The program will fold before that happens, just as a matter of principle. We’re not the 70s-80s New York Yankees and Jim isn’t Billy Martin.

8 hours ago, Mango028 said:

Well he got him to go there. He also brought in his successor. They hit a homerun to picked up where he left off but he can recruit and has proven he can build a team.

Frost had success at an AAC program, took them to, and won, a BCS bowl on the back of an awesome college qb .... went to a P5 and **** the bed. Sound familiar? Then tack on the Oveido stank ..... this is a no brainer pass.

• Upvote 1