• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coaching through adversity

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286
  • Days Won:  1

1 hour ago, OhioBull said:

I believe we need to win a game soon that we aren’t expected to win or this season will get away from us. Someone has to step up.

Agreed, and if a turnaround is to take place this year, Bohanon will likely be the someone who sparks it I'd imagine. There are plenty of weapons on offense, and if he manages to get in sync with his receivers, then maybe the confidence problem that you mentioned gets fixed and this starts to look a lot different.

• Topic Count:  45
  • Content Count:  473
  • Days Won:  2

4 hours ago, USFBulls727 said:

Agreed, and if a turnaround is to take place this year, Bohanon will likely be the someone who sparks it I'd imagine. There are plenty of weapons on offense, and if he manages to get in sync with his receivers, then maybe the confidence problem that you mentioned gets fixed and this starts to look a lot different.

Agreed 100%. I hope it happens because I like CJS. Seems like a good guy and a good representative for USF. However, you have to win!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,996
  • Days Won:  12

The more I've processed this loss the more this seems clear. We are way too talented on paper for what we're seeing. 

I actually do believe CJS is competent. Perfect? No. But I believe he has all the tinder and firewood he could possibly provide for a bowl season, but the players have to stop being afraid of winning. They need a spark. That fear is causing timing issues, dropped balls, missed assignments. I think what they probably need more than another practice is a party or some laughter or a just a sick moment on the field... some spark.

15 minutes ago, hm101 said:

We are way too talented on paper for what we're seeing. 

I'm thinking the same. With all the weapons on this team, especially at WR and RB, as well as the addition of Bohanon, it's easy to see why there was some hype coming into the season. Just hoping Bohanon doesn't get demoralized early in the season and lose confidence, because he'll be key if any turnaround happens this year. If he manages to get in a rhythm and maybe gets a little swag going, the rest of the offense will certainly feed off that. There absolutely is something to work with here. As far as CJS, at 4-19 with 1 FBS win, there's not much that I can point to that would suggest that he's the right guy for the job. He did bring in some talent, and changed OC and DC. He's trying, just hasn't clicked yet. Still hoping he can fix this, but maybe OhioBull is right. Maybe somebody on the playing field will have to lead any potential turnaround here...

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

11 hours ago, OhioBull said:

Agreed 100%. I hope it happens because I like CJS. Seems like a good guy and a good representative for USF. However, you have to win!!

cjs  does seem like a good guy but that isnt enough

something is missing

in the first 2 games we came out flat and with little emotion

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,090
  • Days Won:  39

16 minutes ago, smazza said:

cjs  does seem like a good guy but that isnt enough

something is missing

in the first 2 games we came out flat and with little emotion

It's a bummer because they have all the qualities that we would want except the actual results.  Crossing fingers...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

New week, new attitude.  We have talented players and I believe in our coaching staff.  They want to win probably more than we do.    The potential problem was getting enough time to gel, anticipate what each other will do, etc. and that seems to have been the case.

I admit, I let my fear of another year of doo doo get the best of my patience.  But, I would love to see us scaring the heck out of Florida this week.  And this next game is a new game.  Looking for more improvement.  We still have almost a full season ahead of us and after that eight long months of off season.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,890
  • Days Won:  67

15 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

New week, new attitude.  We have talented players and I believe in our coaching staff.  They want to win probably more than we do.    The potential problem was getting enough time to gel, anticipate what each other will do, etc. and that seems to have been the case.

I admit, I let my fear of another year of doo doo get the best of my patience.  But, I would love to see us scaring the heck out of Florida this week.  And this next game is a new game.  Looking for more improvement.  We still have almost a full season ahead of us and after that eight long months of off season.

I am not sure you actually believe any of what you just wrote?  I believe in our coaching staff?  Why, what have they shown during their realm to give you this confidence.  I hope we scare the heck out of Florida?  How in the world could this happen? What have you seen that can even have you remotely believe this?  
We will come out, unprepared, out manned, and out classed.  They will roll up a bunch of points on us and take the foot off the gas, we will score some meaningless points late and we will have the same conversation next week.  Rinse and Repeat.   I like your optimism, really do but it sounds more like naïveté IMO.  Maybe because I have lost the ability to believe I am simple jealous of you dad, hope you are right but we both know you are not. 

• Downvote 1

36 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

The potential problem was getting enough time to gel, anticipate what each other will do, etc. and that seems to have been the case.

That definitely does seem to be the case, and I'm still hoping that happens. I would point out though, that Marshall brought in 24 players from the portal according to an ESPN article, many of them transfers, many starting, a lot from P5 programs, and they have very poor depth according to the article. They seem to have put it together rather quickly. I'm hoping for some kind of turnaround, but honestly, what would you point to exactly to argue that Scott is the right guy based on what you've seen so far? I'm still hoping something or somebody kick starts this team , but it is kind of hard to make a case for Scott at the moment. Hopefully that changes soon.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,386
  • Days Won:  10

Two new coordinators, new players, and only two games worth of data.  Small sample size.  Frisco, I could have written your post a couple of days ago.  But, each game is an independent event.  How are we going to do it?  I don't know.  But, I believe that everyone from the players to the coaches will try their damnest to come away from the swamp with a win.  I'm willing to (try to) wait until the end of the season before giving up.  There's too much football left.

• Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1