• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,262
  • Days Won:  1

Leavitt had only 2 losing seasons while he was here and went 3-2 in bowl games. Outside the inaugural season and 2004 he won at least 6 games every season.

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

CCS walked in and one of his first comments was absolute idiocy. 

GO BULLS! 

I know which one you speak of.  At first, I thought it was an attempt at humor.  Sadly, it was not.

I have thought about this.  If you have an average or worse offense, I get why a defensive minded coach might think that. When you are able to score almost every time you have the ball, who cares if it is only a couple of minutes or less.  I would see it as my defense needs to be conditoned and able to step up while being allowed some wiggle room to be able to commit 2 or 3 big mistakes in a game which would , in effect, not be all that costly. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

1 minute ago, Mission9 said:

I know which one you speak of.  At first, I thought it was an attempt at humor.  Sadly, it was not.

I have thought about this.  If you have an average or worse offense, I get why a defensive minded coach might think that. When you are able to score almost every time you have the ball, who cares if it is only a couple of minutes or less.  I would see it as my defense needs to be conditoned and able to step up while being allowed some wiggle room to be able to commit 2 or 3 big mistakes in a game which would , in effect, not be all that costly. 

It's worked in the B12 for years. Now, I don't profess, like some, to know all there is to know about football, but I think the whole idea of offense is to score as many points as possible in the allotted 60 minutes.

And please, don't even get me started on the "prevent defense." I think that's what I like about our new DC. Kick'em in the teeth until they fall... And then kick'em in the balls.

GO BULLS!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Steve said:

This was way before my time, so I’m sorry if this is a dumb question or if anyone takes offense…was he that great? I know we had a couple of good seasons under him, but he doesn’t seem like someone that built a strong foundation, so I question his greatness. I mean, it all fell apart after he left.

I saw Taggart have some success and I feel like he could’ve done some great things if he stayed.

I’ve only been here as a student & fan for one almost-great season (2017) and it’s been downhill since then.

I do not think anyone thought he was "great".  I think the debate is whether or not USF would easily be able to not only pinpoint someone who could do better but actuallly pay for it.  Some erroneously thought he could be replaced with the greatest of ease.  He also had shown loyalty to the university (earlier) which is not all that normal these days. 

Since USF was always moving up in class during his time, he actually only had a couple of seasons where he had a full roster of recruits from the level he was playing at.  I see it as he overachieved in that sense. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 1

14 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

It's worked in the B12 for years. Now, I don't profess, like some, to know all there is to know about football, but I think the whole idea of offense is to score as many points as possible in the allotted 60 minutes.

And please, don't even get me started on the "prevent defense." I think that's what I like about our new DC. Kick'em in the teeth until they fall... And then kick'em in the balls.

GO BULLS!

First of all, anyone who professes to know everything probably can be dismissed. You are absolutely correct about the object being to score as much as possible.  You are also correct about defense.  The prevent defense only makes sense if you are up say 37-15 with a few minutes to go.  Don't let anyone get deep or out of bounds.  One score prevent defense  (say up 21-14) only prevents you from winning. 

Like I said, if I am a defensive coach and the offense is not all that dynamic, I would rather a slower approach.  With Flowers at QB, USF was usually good for 30 plus and I did not care how fast they scored, only cared that they scored. It would be up to me and my defense to ensure we stop the other team enough to win.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,241
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully the next departure is us when we fold the program 

• Downvote 4
  • ???? 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,732
  • Days Won:  425

2 hours ago, Mission9 said:

I have thought about this.  If you have an average or worse offense, I get why a defensive minded coach might think that. When you are able to score almost every time you have the ball, who cares if it is only a couple of minutes or less.  I would see it as my defense needs to be conditoned and able to step up while being allowed some wiggle room to be able to commit 2 or 3 big mistakes in a game which would , in effect, not be all that costly

I fully understand the uproar when he came in saying what he did but not sure why it's still being bandied about with  20/20 hindsight ..... it worked. Q still averaged 38 points a game, with the total offense per game being higher than 2016, and the wiggle room was actually larger in 2017 with the cushion averaging 15 points a game compared to 12 points a game in 2016. Chuck's final 2 years were a disaster but trying to diss him for 2017, just don't see it.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

2 hours ago, DontPushMe said:

Haha this guy never dissapoints. I'll give you credit for consistency.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 hours ago, DontPushMe said:

Mr Rogers Clown GIF

• Haha 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

And for the record, this is a thread about the three teams departing the AAC.  That would be:

Cincinnati

UCF

Houston

Not USF, unfortunately.  So please bring it back on to topic, join one of many threads with this same criticism, or start a new one.  We can't have too many Jeff Scott threads.  

Thank you.