• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  414
  • Days Won:  2

44 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Firing him may or may not have put us where we are today, but not hitting on his predecessor surely did, while the Kanigits struck coaching gold. You can wax on all you want about facilities, or lack of, but I find it hard to believe that if our and UCF's football records are reversed from 2011 to when the Big12 made it's choices, they get picked over us.

I agree. But it goes hand in hand to me, winning and facilities that is. Investing in the right facilities early on and hitting more often than missing on coaching hires both would be signs of an engaged administration. Though it's definitely possible to end up with just half. Right now that's AAC newcomer UNT. They've put some good money into facilities, are ina great market/recruiting area, but need to make a coaching change and be back in the win column. If UCF hadn't made the right hires and won the way we have, we'd basically be the Florida version of UNT. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

14 minutes ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

signs of an engaged administration.

Wait, say that again???

• Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, Ghostbuster said:

That's like saying "you can wax on about going to the gym, but if I was in shape and you were fat, I would have gotten the girl over you".

Of course they had the better results they put in the the work (and cheated...but that's another story)

Exactly ..... plenty of programs "go to the gym", have facilities, but only the ones that put in the "work" while at the gym, hiring the right coaches, get the better results.

1 hour ago, UCF_rustbucket said:

I agree. But it goes hand in hand to me, winning and facilities that is. Investing in the right facilities early on and hitting more often than missing on coaching hires both would be signs of an engaged administration. Though it's definitely possible to end up with just half. Right now that's AAC newcomer UNT. They've put some good money into facilities, are ina great market/recruiting area, but need to make a coaching change and be back in the win column. If UCF hadn't made the right hires and won the way we have, we'd basically be the Florida version of UNT. 

Then every program with facilities would be a winning program.

I'm kind of shocked that we've got some of our people arguing about the impact of coaches versus the impact of facilities. They've obviously forgotten the first 12 years of our program.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

7 hours ago, puc86 said:

In 111 years WVU has played Marshall 12 times having won them all with the last meeting in 2012, that seems like it would have been a more reasonable model and I’m pretty sure that not a single WVU fans ever once advocated for Marshal to be moved to their conference to solidify their rivalry and make them both stronger.

So it isn't a rivalry game?  You can take anything out of context. You haven't lost your touch. Law school keeping you sharp?

7 hours ago, puc86 said:

In 111 years WVU has played Marshall 12 times having won them all with the last meeting in 2012, that seems like it would have been a more reasonable model and I’m pretty sure that not a single WVU fans ever once advocated for Marshal to be moved to their conference to solidify their rivalry and make them both stronger.

12 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

So it isn't a rivalry game?  You can take anything out of context. You haven't lost your touch. Law school keeping you sharp?

I can live with the rivalry if we're only playing them once out of every ten years ....

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  730
  • Days Won:  4

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Exactly ..... plenty of programs "go to the gym", have facilities, but only the ones that put in the "work" while at the gym, hiring the right coaches, get the better results.

I say this all the time and no one believes me but you won't get good coaches if you don't have good facilities.  Here, have a quote from a coach that knows it:

Watch how coaches take jobs now. Coach is down to these four jobs. Well, before, [the decision was based on] facilities or whatever. If the coach is smart, the first question should be what?

Tell me about your [NIL] collective?

https://www.si.com/college/2022/05/25/lane-kiffin-nil-recruiting-boosters-nick-saban

There, Lane Kiffin talks about facilities and how the NIL is replacing them as most important thing for top coaches to look at in prospective jobs.

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

Then every program with facilities would be a winning program.

I'm kind of shocked that we've got some of our people arguing about the impact of coaches versus the impact of facilities. They've obviously forgotten the first 12 years of our program.

From a certain point of view, Jim Leavitt was the worst thing to happen because so many just look at him and say "he did more with less".  But that was a totally different era.  The year is not 1997.  More school have facilities today than they did back then.  Money infects everything more today than it did then.  Even if you went back in time and brought younger Jim Leavitt forward to be the coach today, he would still have trouble recruiting top players in Florida because other Florida schools are ahead of USF in the arms race.  Would he get better results because he bled green and gold and didn't take vacations?  Yes.  Would his work ethic (and extra couple of wins) make us substantially more attractive to top recruits?  No.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

Firing him may or may not have put us where we are today, but not hitting on his predecessor surely did, while the Kanigits struck coaching gold. You can wax on all you want about facilities, or lack of, but I find it hard to believe that if our and UCF's football records are reversed from 2011 to when the Big12 made it's choices, they get picked over us.

But we don't have an OCS.  

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,501
  • Days Won:  43

9 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

But we don't have an OCS.  

Not yet. Hopefully soon! WSS!

• Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,688
  • Days Won:  8

So depressing looking at the future AAC. In 2007-2008, when I was a USF freshman, this was inconceivable. 

Edited by Gismo