• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Yet another polarizing discussion on the current state of USF Athletics

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  1

Man, I step away for a day and have some entertaining stuff to read, haha. Here’s my 2 cents, like it’s worth anything 😂 Like most things today, everybody has points that I agree with and disagree with. 
1) We all need to see and talk about reality. While there has been an excessive amount of losing, we must still talk about positives. A world in which people look the other way, while wrongs are being committed is not a world I want to be apart of and it goes the other way as well, we must strive to see the positives in life.

2) Hiring a coordinator as a first time head coach comes with growing pains. You will usually lose a lot at the beginning as they learn the ropes, I don’t know about anyone else, but I was expecting SOME of this. 
3) I don’t know what VPMK is doing behind the scenes; but anyone off the street that has watched college football will tell you that an IPF, OCS and athletics facilities have to be state of the art if your going to build a program in modern football. 
4) Giving a blanket extension to ALL coaches was irresponsible. I am not opposed to some of them; and as much as I like CBG, that was not warranted. 
5) I love CJL, but rehires rarely workout. It was time to try a young and up and coming coach. We tried CCS and Tuberville was a disaster at Cincy, I don’t want any of those again. 
6) We have wasted a ton of time, money and momentum. We have lost a  lot of fans and we have been mismanaged, I think we can all agree to that, BUT we are finally building an IPF and the OCS is further along than it ever has been. 
7) Lastly, as bad as UCF passing has been, it seems like it has awaken the powers at be in the athletics department. We just need to be hopeful. 

I actually enjoyed reading the different points of views and that’s why I keep coming back. 

Dave, I actually really liked the thread you started, it was fun and a nice new topic. If you have any other ideas like this, I would enjoy it!

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

On 6/4/2022 at 9:15 AM, NewEnglandBull said:

(please forgive this “War and Peace” post but it’s therapeutic for me.)

Dave, this was my position as recently as last year but I must admit my fandom is falling and falling fast. I have found myself shifting my time to the pro teams I love with the Rams, Red Sox, and Rangers taking up more and more of my interest. UCF passing us in the Big12 sweepstakes was such a gut punch for me. And now they dominate us in all sports and USF is not even on the map with the big three sports. Last place in the conference for all three of the major programs. My support of Michael Kelly is also over. He is terrible at hiring and apparently firing people as well. He can get the stadium and then move on.

On top of that, like most of the world, I could care less about the women’s programs. I would be the luckiest person in the world if that did it for me. There is no buzz and no excitement to it. I mean am going to go over to my neighbor and beam with excitement telling him how well the women’s tennis team is doing? Indeed, I see people on this board who probably feel the same way about the women’s teams but they hang on to it and follow it because the men’s team are so bad. I just can’t do it.

Perhaps it’s because I live far away so I don’t here or see much about USF as much as you guys do in the Tampa area. So when the teams sucks the university is literally out of my eye. The alumni association has regional sites but they are basically dead and if any do in fact have an event (so rare) it’s usually not geared toward older alumni. The Athletic Program and the university rarely reach out to alumni who are out of state. Almost everything in terms of communication, opportunities, and functions are in the surrounding area of Tampa. Hell, I could not even watch the spring game on the Internet because of some lame excuse. I get it, most of everyone is in Tampa but how throwing a bone once in a while. This is an international university but the administration and athletic department acts local.  

But here I am and I have not yet given up. I am waiting for something good to happen from Scott and Gregory. I am excited about the IPF and the potential of a stadium but that will mean zero unless we win games. So I am here to support and give USF my love but they should not take it for granted….win some ******* games and be a player in getting this program in a better conference. 

Ahhh…I feel better now. Have a nice day everyone. 😀

Post of the year right here. I pretty much agree with everything you wrote, including being done with Michael Kelly. I am back to supporting the Raiders first and USF second. Raiders off-season news is more important to me than USF off-season  news. Ucf passing us into the P5 along with the AAC turning into Conference USA 2.0 in 2023 is what did it for me. Combine that with the changes in college football that I hate (The NIL being the main one) and I grow less interested in USF football by the day. Maybe an OCS will rekindle my passion, who knows? Probably too little too late. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  26
  • Content Count:  459
  • Days Won:  0

On 6/4/2022 at 8:55 AM, Dave_Glaser said:

Maybe I come from a different perspective as an alum who worked at the university, worked with the athletic department, and now has a daughter who’s an alum. Believe me, I’m just as frustrated - if not more - about how our three primary sports programs are performing. That said, having been around the campus frequently, I suppose the real reason for my hope comes from the transformation I’ve seen in the university itself. While none of us are happy with the investment or commitment we’ve seen in athletics, the same can’t be said on the academic side. USF has become a vibrant academic institution that is building a national reputation. It is on a trajectory to become one of the top public, national research universities in the U.S. If - and it’s a big if at this point - we can find that same energy in athletics, we have ourselves a well-rounded institution that makes us very attractive to any major conference. Can you envision USF as a member of the ACC some day? That, to me, would be the culmination of this university’s journey. Rather than bemoan where we are today, I prefer to do my small part in making USF what it can be tomorrow. I’ll admit that I haven’t been that active as a donor, ticket buyer in athletics of late because of the struggles. I’ve focused my giving on the academic side. But now that we can see the payoff that’s happened there, and the seeming alignment to push athletics to another level, I’m ready to do my part.

(First off, wow - Brad did you really break off my contrib?  Flattered, if so. Ha.  Didn't even know that could be done)

Cleary I respect your opinion in all of this as we did it together for a while.  We snorted (joke) the highest highs and I thought we were there for the lowest lows (turns out, we weren't).  They've done well academically.  No argument there.  But they ain't Harvard.  They aren't even UF.  They may be someday but they aren't as of yet.  College is a summation of parts and the confidence it gives you to walk out in the world.  I had an amazing experience there and I'm sure everybody on this board did as well.  We all wouldn't be here otherwise. Still, we are a regional university with regional reach.  What it gave you, me, Sarah (hoping I can use her name here) is a boost and then it was up to each of us what we did with that boost.

I'll go back to the OCS.  USF absolutely misjudged the importance and now is chasing its tail.  It is the thing missing from the USF college experience.  Just a fact.  Think of some of those nights in the Sun Dome.  I think an OCS would have given a LOT MORE of those in the "Football Stadium" and probably build on more of those in the Sun Dome (or whatever it is called these days).  Success breeds success.  USF will never be a dynasty but those starry nights show up once and a while and they are magical.

I like your ACC vision but it is so non-important.  It really is.  My brothers went to USC (South Carolina) and Georgia Tech.  They're pretty well-reasoned alums that follow their team but probably subscribe more to the John Mulaney view of the whole college-experience.  Me too.  College sports have become pro sports and this guy loves the Broncos.  But I don't fund their payroll.

12 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

OK, so you want to talk Jeff Scott? Let me tell you why your take on him may be completely correct, but right now it’s total horsecrud.

I currently work with Dan Krone, who was USF’s Assoc. AD for Athletic Facilities under Taggart and Strong. He tells me that eventually the common feeling in the building about Strong and his staff was that they fully expected to be at USF for ONE season and then they would get another shot somewhere in the P5. Dan said at some point Strong and staff were clearly so convinced of this that they flat-out stopped recruiting.

So Scott walks into a program that’s lost 15 of 19, has a culture of losing and not caring about it, and is devoid of talent - in a pandemic, with no practice - and has a forgettable first season. Totally predictable. The rebuild then officially starts - again during a pandemic, trying to recruit for a down-in-the-dumps program. The 2021 season is another forgettable one that could have been better, but not a whole lot, given the circumstances. What 2 or 3 more wins, realistically?

So you and others are now fully in fire Jeff Scott mode. It flat out doesn’t make sense at this point. It’s not making excuses, it’s just reality. You wanted a miracle worker. Me too. But the odds were well stacked against it. Am I anointing him the next Nick Saban? Surely not, but to be so sure he’s not the guy at this point just doesn’t make sense.

I’m not saying you may not ultimately be right, but give the guy a break.

I’ll tell you what, let’s make it interesting. If the Bulls don’t win 6 games this season, I’ll write John Lewis a check for $500. If they do, you write him one - and maybe John arranges a photo of you handing it to Coach Scott, Horns Up! I have all the risk here. I face another cruddy season and having to write a check.

I've made this point in the past and I've been laughed off the site (reasonably so as his settlement likely doesn't allow it).  The ONLY way this program would be restored to any prominence would be CJL.  That's just a fact.  If it could have happened it should have happened 8-10 years ago (see Oregon and Colorado).  Now he's like Iceman in Top Gun: Mav.  Not exactly, but the ship has sailed.  This is a rebuild program.  You do it in 2-3 and climb back up the ladder or you **** the bed and end up at FAU or worse.

Last point you a-holes.  In an earlier post I said:

" That stadium might be made of coat-hangers and chewing gum but for a directional school they got it mostly right."

C'mon, beyond being fairly accurate it is a real place steps from on-campus housing.  But you know what?  You can pre-game on the quad and hope to hell that thing doesn't collapse week in and week out while bragging about being in two BCS bowls (and ******* winning one) and beating Florida and Auburn in two others.  That ain't made up.

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

15 hours ago, Brad said:

Ok, just more wonderful repetitious stuff.  Although I do read @CousinRicky and he was at least injecting some humor.  

Please get back to topic.  Destroying threads like this is not helpful to the board and Bulls fans.  

Trip, I am on the road.  If you want to delete all the off-topic stuff (including this post) or put it in another thread, I am thankful.  

Well said Brad. 

• Topic Count:  2,343
  • Content Count:  21,362
  • Days Won:  10

6 hours ago, USFreak said:

Last point you a-holes.  In an earlier post I said:

C'mon, beyond being fairly accurate it is a real place steps from on-campus housing.  But you know what?  You can pre-game on the quad and hope to hell that thing doesn't collapse week in and week out while bragging about being in two BCS bowls (and ******* winning one) and beating Florida and Auburn in two others.  That ain't made up.

If you don't build a stadium, we are basically in dying mode.  The game now is to borrow on the future, sad but true.  Back to playing catch-up.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

8 hours ago, USFreak said:

(First off, wow - Brad did you really break off my contrib?  Flattered, if so. Ha.  Didn't even know that could be done)

Cleary I respect your opinion in all of this as we did it together for a while.  We snorted (joke) the highest highs and I thought we were there for the lowest lows (turns out, we weren't).  They've done well academically.  No argument there.  But they ain't Harvard.  They aren't even UF.  They may be someday but they aren't as of yet.  College is a summation of parts and the confidence it gives you to walk out in the world.  I had an amazing experience there and I'm sure everybody on this board did as well.  We all wouldn't be here otherwise. Still, we are a regional university with regional reach.  What it gave you, me, Sarah (hoping I can use her name here) is a boost and then it was up to each of us what we did with that boost.

I'll go back to the OCS.  USF absolutely misjudged the importance and now is chasing its tail.  It is the thing missing from the USF college experience.  Just a fact.  Think of some of those nights in the Sun Dome.  I think an OCS would have given a LOT MORE of those in the "Football Stadium" and probably build on more of those in the Sun Dome (or whatever it is called these days).  Success breeds success.  USF will never be a dynasty but those starry nights show up once and a while and they are magical.

I like your ACC vision but it is so non-important.  It really is.  My brothers went to USC (South Carolina) and Georgia Tech.  They're pretty well-reasoned alums that follow their team but probably subscribe more to the John Mulaney view of the whole college-experience.  Me too.  College sports have become pro sports and this guy loves the Broncos.  But I don't fund their payroll.

As someone who works in higher education I can tell you USF is not just a regional university. It is global relative to students and research application and impact. In terms of rank you are correct that it is not Harvard but it has made the greatest jump in rank in the past 20 years than any other university ever. At this pace it will be #2 in the state within 20 more years. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 hours ago, USFreak said:

I've made this point in the past and I've been laughed off the site (reasonably so as his settlement likely doesn't allow it).  The ONLY way this program would be restored to any prominence would be CJL.  That's just a fact.  If it could have happened it should have happened 8-10 years ago (see Oregon and Colorado).  Now he's like Iceman in Top Gun: Mav.  Not exactly, but the ship has sailed.  This is a rebuild program.  You do it in 2-3 and climb back up the ladder or you **** the bed and end up at FAU or worse.

A coach who has not been a head coach in more than 10 years is the one who can lead us to the promise land? Come on man get real. You are just reaching for the past, a past that is gone. I do respect what he has done but to suggest that it is “FACT” that this would lead to our success is just silly. 

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,119
  • Days Won:  39

22 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Just for the record, I have ZERO problems with opposing opinions. That’s not the issue with these guys. It’s the obsession.

I think in random Rush lyrics, but I am not sure how they apply here: 
But dreams don't need to have motion to keep their spark alive
Obsession has to have action 
Pride turns on the drive
    :iconic_u_black:

:iconic_u_black:    :iconic_u_black: