• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Of OCS Interest

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

4 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

And yes... I am expecting a coach to routinely notch 10-12 wins yearly.  I don't go off the deep end when that doesn't happen... but that is what I am expecting.  And I expect that by the time we're in the OCS that Jeff Scott will have gotten this team to 10+ wins... maybe even more than once.  Two different coaches did it here... neither of them named Jim... so I know it can happen.

So, how much did Strong really contribute to that 10 win season?  Seems like it was more of a carryover to what Taggart achieved. Just my observation. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Took Taggart four years to get there.  With no wins over Top 25 teams and no conference championship as everyone else seems to define success.  The 11 wins were fun ones in a mid major.  We needed it.  It was fun to watch that year.  But still not a strong performance as some are out to make it.  And Willie scooted as soon as he could.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,914
  • Days Won:  33

30 minutes ago, Brad said:

Took Taggart four years to get there.  With no wins over Top 25 teams and no conference championship as everyone else seems to define success.  The 11 wins were fun ones in a mid major.  We needed it.  It was fun to watch that year.  But still not a strong performance as some are out to make it.  And Willie scooted as soon as he could.

Coach Taggart did have wins over Temple and Navy, who were both Top 25 teams at the time the game was played.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks for the info. I looked at the official site and I guess those are final (non)rankings.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

34 minutes ago, Mission9 said:

So, how much did Strong really contribute to that 10 win season?  Seems like it was more of a carryover to what Taggart achieved. Just my observation. 

Indeed... you and Brad are correct that it was Strong winning with Taggart's players... but that also meants Taggart's first season, and the loss to McNeese, was on Holtz, right:?  The same thing with Scott's 2020 year was really Strong's fault, right -- but some people don't seem to want to suggest it goes both ways.

Holtz and Strong had clear downward trajectories when they were fired... Leavitt had a neutral trajectory, a plateau if you will.

I believe (kinda have to at this point) that Scott will turn it around like Taggart did.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

Jim's point regarding Leavitt is still valid though. Too many folks wax poetic regarding his tenure and tend to gloss over some really prevalent Big East conference losses.

He didn't adapt or deviate from his game plan. Schools like UConn or Rutgers took advantage. We'd fare better against WVU and Louisville, which had similar style of play.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,712
  • Days Won:  6

4 hours ago, Jim Johnson said:

Fair to middlin' for sure... still better than Holtz, Strong, and the first three years of Scott..

Can’t argue with you there. However in my humble opinion USF football has yet to employ a great football head coach. Leavitt was the best of the bunch….and he defines the word “mediocre”

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, Brad said:

I'm not in that argument, but I think it is possible one to believe that the damage done firing Leavitt has has had a lasting effect on our ability to achieve anything.  There are two different eras in USF football.  The Leavitt era and then the rest.

I'm still in the camp that the most relevant two different eras in USF football are the BCS and post BCS eras, with the latter having had that lasting effect on our ability to achieve anything because of the former ...

• Upvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,473
  • Days Won:  13

51 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I'm still in the camp that the most relevant two different eras in USF football are the BCS and post BCS eras, with the latter having had that lasting effect on our ability to achieve anything because of the former ...

This is a salient position... and, while a few people on here back then and today may disagree, there was nothing USF (from Genshaft on down) could have done on it's own.  ESPN killed it via Pitt.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, Jim Johnson said:

This is a salient position... and, while a few people on here back then and today may disagree, there was nothing USF (from Genshaft on down) could have done on it's own.  ESPN killed it via Pitt.

With a little help from Cuse