• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What are signs that the team has actually improved during the offseason?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Brad
This post was recognized by Brad!

bulloni was awarded the badge 'Conversation Starter' and 10 points.

Definitely not comments from coaches, reporters, or players. We heard all last offseason about how good Cade was supposed to be and how improved we were then fell flat.

I tried to come up with a few:

• Returning players on the 2 deep are pushed down the depth chart. Shows that the newcomers may actually be improvements.
  • Improved size in the front 7 when the roster is updated in the fall. I remember last offseason people immediately we're pointing out how we seemed pretty small on the dline and linebackers and we showed that all season trying to stop the run.
  • Timmy McClain absolutely runs away with the job from the get go. Whens the last time we had a pretty much undisputed starter before late in fall camp that could just get all the 1st team reps and build chemistry with his wide receivers?
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Topic Count:  2,338
  • Content Count:  21,346
  • Days Won:  10

Combined weight of the team?    😀

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

55 minutes ago, bulloni said:

Definitely not comments from coaches, reporters, or players. We heard all last offseason about how good Cade was supposed to be and how improved we were then fell flat.

I tried to come up with a few:

• Returning players on the 2 deep are pushed down the depth chart. Shows that the newcomers may actually be improvements.
  • Improved size in the front 7 when the roster is updated in the fall. I remember last offseason people immediately we're pointing out how we seemed pretty small on the dline and linebackers and we showed that all season trying to stop the run.
  • Timmy McClain absolutely runs away with the job from the get go. Whens the last time we had a pretty much undisputed starter before late in fall camp that could just get all the 1st team reps and build chemistry with his wide receivers?

I don't think we can answer that question by just looking at players. We will see at least the spring game...got to see these guys in action to be fair. 

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

The news about the incoming transfer class was good news, and that brings hope, but I think it is way too early to say whether there are signs that the team has improved or not.

Based on last years performance, it would be difficult not to improve, so we have that going for us.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,479
  • Days Won:  13

For me one way to know is the depth chart... if any is released.  If the same people are starting over the newcomers, especially the transfers, that spells trouble.  If the newcomers break into the 2-deep or starting over existing players, that shows us the coaches feel there is a talent upgrade.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,269
  • Days Won:  255

If there is one thing the CJS regime has demonstrated it’s the ability to properly rank depth charts going into a season

• Haha 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,410
  • Days Won:  3

Unfortunately, not a **** thing... offseason is as brutal as the season has been lately. 

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,714
  • Days Won:  6

My advice for all is to not buy into any of the off-season hype. Everything is going to sound great during Spring Ball and the Jeff Scott coach-speak will be out in full force. It’s easy to get caught up in the hope and the hype. 

Personally, I may allow some hope to creep in if we can look respectable on September 3rd against BYU. If we pull another Wisconsin/Notre Dame/NC State type of game in the opener………forget it 

• Upvote 1
  • Crying 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,547
  • Days Won:  25

There is only one way to tell if the team improved upset a team, win a road game, and improve division play record. CJs is all talk and no action until  if and when he produces .

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

**** all of that… I am buying you into any hype that is there. Like Daniel said in the movie “There Will Be Blood, I’m going to suck it up like a milkshake. If I’m disappointed, then I’m disappointed. It’s not like that is a new experience.