• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Bring Danny home

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,497
  • Days Won:  25

1 hour ago, bulloni said:

Yeah unless the retread is a HUGE fish (Muschamp level) I'd almost rather have some up and coming P5 position coach I've never heard of.

Tom Allen was the linebackers and special teams coach at ole miss before we got him. Give me someone that makes me think you've done your homework, not just the hot name on twitter

I would love my champ he would light a fire under these players rears but I would bet he would never take a job here

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,472
  • Days Won:  13

13 minutes ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Would Danny want to come here and work for a coach that is currently 8 to 1 odds of getting canned knowing he might get fired after next season?  He might because it’s his alma mater.  Similar situation to Kerwin Bell coming here in Chuckles last year.  Coincidentally Danny was Kerwins DC at Valdosta state.

Why do I feel I just summoned puc to this thread?

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Scott won't be fired until 2023/2024 at least.... and while some people here don't believe it, I think actually think he will be successful and remain here for a few years until the right job opens up.  He won't take the first P5 head coaching job he's offered - unless it's Clemson.

But... let's say you pessimists are right about Scott.  Verpaele as DC for 2-3 years will get another DC gig at a G5 or P5 school fairly easily.  Especially if he is able to turn the defense around and get to the middle of the pack.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

Advantage of Danny, if anyone else has a good first year they'd probably bolt for a lower tier P5 DC job. Danny may stay here as a DC until a good DC position opens up or he gets a HC opportunity

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  58
  • Content Count:  3,576
  • Days Won:  6

Man oh man tough crowd. That's twice I've read the word "retread" as it relates to Spencer or other potential college coaches. Say what you might about Spencer but he did enjoy years of success at other colleges just not consistent here- he isn't the first. Some of these coaches dont dazzle at some schools but at others they do just fine and create winners. Most have more football coaching talent/experience in their left nut than the folks dishing out the nastiness. Coaches know they keep producing and winning they keep their paychecks. If not, they know it's the highway.  

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

51 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

Yes. A thousand times yes.

Scott won't be fired until 2023/2024 at least.... and while some people here don't believe it, I think actually think he will be successful and remain here for a few years until the right job opens up.  He won't take the first P5 head coaching job he's offered - unless it's Clemson.

But... let's say you pessimists are right about Scott.  Verpaele as DC for 2-3 years will get another DC gig at a G5 or P5 school fairly easily.  Especially if he is able to turn the defense around and get to the middle of the pack.

You are completely correct here. We have passed the rubicon of firing a head coach quickly and now have to stay all in for a while. This does create an advantage for securing someone decent. Danny may be that guy but I hope we take a thorough review. The position does pay $500k a year. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,546
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, El_Toro_86 said:

Would Danny want to come here and work for a coach that is currently 8 to 1 odds of getting canned knowing he might get fired after next season?  He might because it’s his alma mater.  Similar situation to Kerwin Bell coming here in Chuckles last year.  Coincidentally Danny was Kerwins DC at Valdosta state.

Why do I feel I just summoned puc to this thread?

Easy, he gets a DC position at a G5 school that is BIGGER than FCS Kennesaw State. A school where his defenses will play Alabama, UF, BYU and probably 1-3 ranked AAC teams. Our defense is ranked like 125th. If he can get us in the 70s or better yet 60s, he will be the hottest DC in this country period. His defenses have been stout in the FCS level. - "In Verpaele's first year with Kennesaw State, the defense finished the season with the No. 3 total defense in the nation, while also ranking in the Top-25 in the country in a slew of other categories, including rushing defense (5th), fumble recoveries (15th), third down defense (18th) and passing yards allowed (22nd)"

Im good with this guy if we can get him. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

14 hours ago, &rew Bull said:

The good news is a defensive turnaround tends to be much quicker than an offensive one. With a good DC hire, a defense can improve dramatically in one offseason.

without an influx in alot of talent it doesnt matter who dc is

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612

11 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Easy, he gets a DC position at a G5 school that is BIGGER than FCS Kennesaw State. A school where his defenses will play Alabama, UF, BYU and probably 1-3 ranked AAC teams. Our defense is ranked like 125th. If he can get us in the 70s or better yet 60s, he will be the hottest DC in this country period. His defenses have been stout in the FCS level. - "In Verpaele's first year with Kennesaw State, the defense finished the season with the No. 3 total defense in the nation, while also ranking in the Top-25 in the country in a slew of other categories, including rushing defense (5th), fumble recoveries (15th), third down defense (18th) and passing yards allowed (22nd)"

Im good with this guy if we can get him. 

Current year stats

https://ksuowls.com/services/download_file.ashx?file_location=https://s3.amazonaws.com/ksuowls.com/documents/2021/11/20/KSU_Regular_Season_Final_Stats.pdf

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,546

1 minute ago, El_Toro_86 said:

22 sacks for the year so far. I dont think we have reached double digit sacks in like 3 or 4 years. Next year can't come quick enough. Man this defense was painful to watch. I'm glad the D-line all gone. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

28 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

22 sacks for the year so far. I dont think we have reached double digit sacks in like 3 or 4 years. Next year can't come quick enough. Man this defense was painful to watch. I'm glad the D-line all gone. 

I would expect improvement but if people are expecting a "significant" increase in quality D they will most likely be disappointed.