• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

No More Rumors - Official AAC Expansion

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,401
  • Days Won:  10

18 hours ago, MaltLiquorBull said:

Remember how when you first found out we were left back and stuck with the AAC the first time around?   It’s like that feeling but way worse.  Then when you remember that we’ve never won a conference championship in any conference, you start to look inward.

Look inward???  Are you crazy?  Have you seen what's IN THERE???

• Haha 2

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  232
  • Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

How many Owls will we have in this new lineup?  

I know, someone most likely pointed this out, but after 15+ pages I am late to the game.  🤣

Edited by hightechbull

On 10/23/2021 at 9:49 AM, DontPushMe said:

What an embarrassment. Honestly we should investigate either going independent or more likely just shutting the football program down

No thanks.  I remember when there was no football at USF.  All it takes is winning to get the fans back.  Maybe adding some cupcakes will result in more wins and give the team the confidence boost to step up and make the next jump.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, hightechbull said:

How many Owls will we have in this new lineup?  

I know, someone most likely pointed this out, but after 15+ pages I am late to the game.  🤣

Two…although we could have had three if Charlotte had not changed their name from the Owls to the 49ers. 

• Haha 1

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Two…although we could have had three if Charlotte had not changed their name from the Owls to the 49ers. 

Temple Owls

Rice Owls

FAU Owls

USTA is the Road Runners

Did I miss any feathered mascots?   UAB is the Blazers, which is a dragon, and dragons are kind of based of dinosaurs.  New research indicates that dinosaurs had feathers, so does that count.  🤣

This conference is for the birds   😂

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, hightechbull said:

Temple Owls

Rice Owls

FAU Owls

USTA is the Road Runners

Did I miss any feathered mascots?   UAB is the Blazers, which is a dragon, and dragons are kind of based of dinosaurs.  New research indicates that dinosaurs had feathers, so does that count.  🤣

This conference is for the birds   😂

Ahhh I thought you wanted to only know about the “new” owl additions.  

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  7,004
  • Days Won:  12

Pretty good podcast here (available where you get your podcasts)

10670848.jpeg

As Michael Stipe once said, it's time I had some time alone.

I'm getting to the acceptance part of this. You know, we never won CUSA. We never won the big east. There is a small part of me that embraces the chance to actual do this thing the right way. Let's win this conference. Let's EARN our place at a bigger table versus having it handed to us like maybe our earlier success, which we didn't know what to do with - and IMHO that got us in this mess in the first place. We assumed success would always just BE THERE cause hey we're USF and we went from trailers to #2. We don't need to invest in the fan experience or facilities or have someone mind the ship for where CFB is going. So I say - I am ready to accept that this is where we belong today but I do NOT believe this is where we belong for good. This is our chance to redeem ourselves and build this thing the right way. 

A few more tactical comments - 

1. This conference should be easier to win, and god willing we will get one finally in this arrangement. 

2. With CFP expansion, this may actually make it easier to make an appearance. There is a chance that, in the future, being a Boise State type program is better than just going to Middle of The Road Bowl Game every year as a 7-5 P5 team. 

3. Travel costs will stay down and road trips should be easier/doable. 

4. We have a hard enough OOC schedule in 2023-2025 that we have the opportunity to balance out a weak in conference sched. 

5. I actually think the odds are AGAINST a simple "Big 12 adds 2 teams in 202X". I think with the Pac/AAC/B1G alliance, with CFP expansion, with less and less emphasis on cable packages and more on markets and recruiting, I think the CFB world will look different in 3-5 years and there may be other tectonic shifts (e.g. what if the Big 10 gobbles up the ACC outright and creates 4 divisions.... something wild out there like that) 

One last comment - attendance will absolutely be a factor. There is 0 doubt about that. If you don't like our current record that is fine, but I hope if youre one of the "screw this" crowd, you reconsider. No one will want us if we are winning 10+ games but you don't want to come watch USF because you are above watching us pummel Charlotte 40-10.

Edited by hm101
  • Upvote 4

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

26 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

When was Charlotte the Owls?

24 minutes ago, Brad said:

When was Charlotte the Owls?

I have a friend from work who went there and he gave me the rundown. The college was initially to be created for soldiers returning home and using the GI Bill. It was initially a branch of UNC Chapel Hill. It was designed to be a college that would only last until 1949 then it would be incorporated back into Chapel Hill. It was during time they were called the Owls. Like USF’s early years they had just a few Olympic sports. However, in 1949 when the college was going to be disbanded the community stakeholders got together fought to have the college not Cesar to exit but instead be it’s own UNC college. Apparently this was a very difficult and emotional process to make happen. Once it occurred the name was changed to the 49ers to represent the hard work from those who made the college it’s own in “1949.”

Edited by NewEnglandBull

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Thanks.  That is something I never knew despite familiarity with UNCC from way back, basketball in the Sun Belt.  Hmm.  The Bulls Pen should really seek to become an institution of higher learning.  

It's beginning to feel like an Owl conspiracy...