• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

9 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Did we what?

Go to them for a game before they came to us.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,914
  • Days Won:  33

6 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Go to them for a game before they came to us.

They came to us first.

I remember on the first incarnation of USF message board that @Dave_Glaser ran, I posted a message from "Paul Griffin's trash can" stating that I was looking at the contract right now.

• Haha 2

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  855
  • Days Won:  1

16 minutes ago, Triple B said:

While the dominos are indeed still falling, I don't think that's the biggest one. Success there definitely won't hurt but the next G5 call up won't be like the last one, pre-SMU, where sustained success on the field was indeed the biggest domino. If there's expansion involving G5's in the eastern time zone, we should be at or near the top of the list ...... it's the other dominoes falling to create that expansion we have to worry about.

You could be right, but with the PAC falling apart, the ACC, B1G and B12 collectively moved west a fraction and will want/need more travel partners (SDSU?), and have to think that properties in the ACC/B12 are on the top of each other's list. If the ACC falls apart (highly unlikely, but possible), the B12 would prefer those properties in the east (Louisville, Duke, Miami, etc). I believe all conferences will be stronger with a second FL school (ACC only one with two right now), but wouldn't the ACC try to attract Utah/ASU before USF at the current moment/state of things? I don't think we can expect to be called up next because we are a big FL school. We have to win in football/basketball before we become a shoo-in, for anyone. 

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,117
  • Days Won:  6

4 hours ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

We have to win in football/basketball before we become a shoo-in, for anyone. 

I am honestly not so sure about that anymore.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,465
  • Days Won:  19

Conferences want schools who will make them the most money. They don't care who earns it by winning. (ex Boise)

Winning doesn't matter (ex Rutgers) ....... but - schools that win, often are the ones who can make conferences the most money as they draw the most tv viewers.

Yes we want to win, always, but a narrative "we haven't earned it" is not a factor. With many schools just being in the right place at the right time is what matters. 

Did DePaul earn their way into the Big East? Did Maryland and Rutgers in the Big 10? Does Vandy belong in the SEC? Wake in the ACC?  

Yes win, I love winning, but we don't need to wait until we won "enough". 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

4 hours ago, USF_Bullsharks said:

We have to win in football/basketball before we become a shoo-in, for anyone. 

11 minutes ago, MMW said:

I am honestly not so sure about that anymore.  

5 minutes ago, Mike Stuben said:

Conferences want schools who will make them the most money. They don't care who earns it by winning. (ex Boise)

Winning doesn't matter (ex Rutgers) ....... but - schools that win, often are the ones who can make conferences the most money as they draw the most tv viewers.

Yes we want to win, always, but a narrative "we haven't earned it" is not a factor. With many schools just being in the right place at the right time is what matters. 

Did DePaul earn their way into the Big East? Did Maryland and Rutgers in the Big 10? Does Vandy belong in the SEC? Wake in the ACC?  

Totally agree. If it's about winning like the 3 AAC call ups did to get the invite we are ****** if the next round is any time real soon. Nobody knows what the next criteria will be if more G5's get the call to move up. There's just too many moving parts still. Winning definitely couldn't hurt but it won't be a guarantee.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  855
  • Days Won:  1

Conference realignment takes in a multitude of factors to produce a score based on value of the addition. In the past, major drivers were DMA and cable televisions because adding Rutgers and Maryland pushed the B1G network and viewership into NYC and DC (created in 2006, they were added in 2014). With cord cutting, the advertising revenue is less "who can we force to pay for via cable" and more "who will WANT to watch via OTA or subscriptions, aka advertisers will pay more for placement on our network". Therefore, the advertising revenue follows the teams who draw the most viewers (i.e. Stanford/Cal being left out of B1G). Would Rutgers or Maryland be as attractive if they were re-evaluated today? Who knows, but chances are it would be a different story and they'd be more similar to Stanford/Cal (hell, even Oregon and Washington were not thought of as full-B1G value members by Fox and Co). Winning attracts viewers, ignites the fanbase, increases donations and support via ticket sales. These are ultimately all factors that are considered. We are not entitled to a spot because we have AAU and a nice location. Sure, those are factors that will 100% help us, but we cannot expect an invite because we were #2 for a week in 2007, that we had a few bad coaching hires (feel bad for us), or that we have a 10,000+ seat basketball arena. Ultimately we still have to prove we are a quality addition to any conference who will extend us an invite. 

There is a lot of speculation on the value of Florida for all conferences via demographics shifts, alumni location, quality of schools, and recruiting on/off the field for colleges and their athletics departments. We have to win now and capitalize on the windfalls that come of it before we can expect any sort of promotion.

Edited by USF_Bullsharks
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,518
  • Days Won:  25

3 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

Vandy has been in the sec forever. I fact the Vanderbilt are some of the wealthiest and most influential families in American history. The university is one of the most influential research universities and gives the SEC the Nashville market keeping it from anyone else. They are very dominant at other sec sports such as baseball.  Almost the whole state of Tennessee roots for the vols unless you have a direct  tie to Vandy. The sec has most of the oldest and most powerful universities and they are by far the best conference for all sports overall. Being in the sec is the goal for any college athletic program, but I don't think we will ever get there.  The sec unlike the B1g is a regional conference. All of their programs are not far from their east and west division opponents. They were smart to add Mizzou,tamu,Ok, and Texas. 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  2,941
  • Days Won:  2

• Topic Count:  196
  • Content Count:  6,615
  • Days Won:  51

These chart comparisons are so stupid.  Put us in a conf that gets $40 mill per team from Disney then factor our revenue/expenses.  Might as well show the type of cars people making $250k per year drive vs those making less than $100k per year.

• Upvote 3