• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

Just now, Brad said:

I answered that.  Competent and courageous leadership.   

And who is that?

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

4 hours ago, Triple B said:

Now? How was it meaningful before ...?

50 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

You don’t think teams cared if they won the Orange Bowl or not? Seriously? C’mon.

You think the teams stopped caring about winning? If anybody stopped caring it was fans hoping to see a decent game ...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

44 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

And who is that?

Apparently no one in the NCAA.  

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

You think the teams stopped caring about winning? If anybody stopped caring it was fans hoping to see a decent game ...

When 40 guys opt out, yep, they stopped caring about winning. Whatever, seems like lately your position on most things is just the contrary.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,737
  • Days Won:  425

14 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

When 40 guys opt out, yep, they stopped caring about winning. Whatever, seems like lately your position on most things is just the contrary.

Not when it comes to bowl games. My position's always been that non-playoff bowl games, outside of special instances like ours this year, are meaningless ..... and this OB was no different, before or after opt outs.

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  1

The B1G can't compete with the SEC on most years. Adding Oregon and USC will help though. Teams like Michigan St., Wisconsin, Iowa, (division leaders many years) will almost always get boat raced by the mid-tier SEC teams. 

But here we are - an all B1G vs all SEC playoff. And both B1G teams won. So can't wait to listen to how the B1G is the best football conference when they've won, *checks notes*, 2 out of the last 10 championships and 3 championships since the turn of the century (not counting USC's two which they won in the PAC, even though I'm counting Wash technically as a B1G member now). 

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

17 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

And who is that?

Sonja Henie is out

• Haha 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,641
  • Days Won:  25

16 hours ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I guess the culture isn't that good in fsu to play for pride of your school  and team.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

The more I see and read about all the crap going on in college football the more I like the idea of separating football from all other sports. Portal opens the day after the championship game and closes on Feb. 15th. And again the day of the last spring game for one week. Have two signing days. Maybe Feb. 28th and 2 weeks after the last spring game.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  11
  • Content Count:  883
  • Days Won:  1

Here's a different perspective than anything I've thought about. This is a big SEC homer on another site who advocates for USF to the SEC (feels weird even typing those words). Discuss - 

Initial Post (as a response to someone else talking about FSU leaving ACC reminds them of Tulane/GaTech leaving SEC... and how the state of those programs are today. 

Excellent post! One quibble, never cite Bleacher Report as their info, as in this case, is far from the truth. The SEC wants a second Florida school for one reason, they need to be able to schedule more games in the state to accommodate the expanded membership who all want to play games there to enhance recruiting. Whether that is Florida State, Miami, or perhaps South Florida is not that relevant, though each is listed in the order of the number of viewers they command in the state.

Selling the SEC on expansion with one Florida school is not an issue at all. It is true they would rather add UNC and a Virginia school for the market reach to 20 million people.

Other than that this is a cautionary tale for one reason. FSU has enjoyed enormous success in the ACC. I think what you are saying by example is that a move outside of that milieu is a dangerous proposition. It will always be a threat to win the ACC. And until recently that meant a threat to win the national championship.

Where the analogy ends is here: In 1964-6 when Tulane and then Tech left the ACC, the national championship was not decided as much on the field as in the polls. In fact, the most likely champions in any given year didn't play each other in bowls so no determinative decision could be made on the field of play, and it was always in the realm of a beauty pageant with voters favoring those from the larger cities where the majority of sports writers were employed.

Now however when just the moves that are pending are completed it will be a Super 2 world. And the payouts within the Super 2 will be double or more what they will be in the ACC and Big 12. And that is where the comparison ends.

When separation from the NCAA happens and basketball is monetized this will all happen again. In the meantime Florida State and Clemson see themselves as football first schools and they realize survival is on the line, if not before, certainly now. Miami is a tougher read. The fans and donors see it as football first, but the school itself identifies more with the academic side of things. For this reason I can't categorically anticipate they will side with Clemson and FSU, or with UNC and Virginia, especially if Notre Dame, Stanford and Cal stick around.

If ESPN wants to keep all of the property rights it has acquired and built, then finding a way to get FSU and Clemson into the SEC and locking up the rest of the ACC with a couple of key expansion targets will be essential. Otherwise, this dangling thread will be pulled by the Big 10 and things will unravel.

For the SEC accepting that move would not be difficult because to get to 20 there is still an opening for a North Carolina or Virginia school and with the South secured they can certainly wait. At least their need of a second Florida school will be satisfied and pro rata exists contractually for the moves.

GaTech fan response to the above - 

SEC or Big10 could add USF and survive! FSU could leave the ACC and end up in the Big12 or as an Independent! Before FSU joined the ACC they had zero FB National Titles! Since joining the ACC they have 3 natties and have a chance to represent the ACC in the 12 team playoff every year.

Now they may have a soft invite from the SEC or Big10, for their sake I hope they do as if it is Indy or Big12 I think they might be making a huge mistake, the same that Tulane and Georgia Tech made.

Now the SEC guy's response to that - 

Most of my business life I tried to stay ahead of the curve on where things were headed. If I could call a shot for the SEC it would be to pick up USF and possibly Miami and not to worry about the state of Florida anymore. IMO the upside on USF is very strong. Same reason for real-estate values, location, location, location. And they have room to grow even though they are in a metropolitan area. There's not much there to dislike except numbers which improve dramatically with the right patch on the jersey and the right schools coming into to play. They are like the unappreciated painting at a garage sale which turns out to be from an old master. The only risk with USF is the same risk for every Florida school already, a hurricane.

If the SEC were guaranteed that the ACC would remain stable and there was no need to reserve potential slots for defensive moves I'd say take USF and Kansas and call it a day at 18. With FSU and Miami staying put, South Florida off the market, and Kansas to upgrade SEC basketball we would have acquired 2 of our key objectives without disrupting anything in the South. We have plenty of money. If ESPN gave pro rata to pick up Kansas and South Florida within 10 years both would be paying dividends, sooner with Kansas.

Once the CFP is operational at 12, possibly 16 teams ESPN's eyes will be on a new hoops tournament. It's easier to pick up the Jayhawks now than it will be later.

The SEC is comfortable where it is. Give it a second Florida school and a mainstay for winter sports like Kansas and it would be fine. It's just antsy about the Big 10's desires to get into Southern markets. ESPN should share that concern as all 3 of us (ESPN/SEC/ACC) would suffer revenue loss if they did. South Florida in the SEC would tie up an AAU loose end in Florida. ESPN has had its eyes on Kansas and gave them a sweetheart T3 deal in the past. That move would stop 2 itches, ESPN's and Missouri's need of a real rival. It would also perk up UK's fan base with another blueblood for a rival in conference.

• Like 1