• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Conference realignment "Rumors" "tweets" "etc"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,669
  • Days Won:  424

2 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

I'm just telling you, be prepared to get your heart ripped out and stomped on within the next 30 days.  Again.  I hope I am wrong, but I probably won't be.  If you don't want to hear that, then fine, that's up to you. 

My heart will be just fine no matter what happens. Would I prefer to be in a P5 conference? Absolutely, but as long as USF is playing football, no matter what affiliation, I'll be there and supporting.

Honestly, MBB has me a lot more concerned right now. I do not want to start over, AGAIN. Hopefully whatever transgressions occured, Oliver fell on the sword for them.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

5 hours ago, deters- said:

If the thing about the TV money going to 800 mill is true, i don't see how Houston, USF and UCF get left behind. That's 3 top 20 TV markets. When you look at USF it really is a goldmine waiting to be tapped. TV market is #11, huge enrollment / alumni base, previous history of success, good facilities and academics, and biggest of all is our recruiting base. I know B12 already recruits here, but now they can have games every week as well as frickin billboards and other local advertisement. It honestly can't be any easier of a choice. Add USF already!

They have 4 Texas schools already.... FOUR! They already have tons of viewers in Houston. UH doesn't really add much in the way of TV markets or recruiting. 

I will not understand if they pass on USF and UCF due to tv markets and recruiting (and my own bias). 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  14
  • Content Count:  68
  • Days Won:  0

Hopefully this is a major factor in expansion candidates as adding USF and UCF would dramatically change this:  

Population base[edit]

Like the Southwest Conference, the Big 12 footprint has a small population base. It has the smallest population base by far of the Power Five conferences. Texas, Oklahoma, Kansas, West Virginia and Iowa have a combined population of 37.8 million.

As of 2013, out of the 115.6 million TV households nationwide there are only 13,427,130 TV households in those states (11.6%)[31][32] The Big 12's share of the nation's TVs is a fraction of that reached by the rest of the Power Five. This likely works against the conference in TV negotiations, but the conference negotiated tier 1 and 2 TV contracts with total payouts similar to those of the other Power Five conferences.[33]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_12_Conference

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

^ Interesting. FWIW, they won't have many more opportunities to change that dynamic, assuming they care to.

• Topic Count:  130
  • Content Count:  1,867
  • Days Won:  2

9 hours ago, BullsFanInTX said:

If USF had the opportunity to showcase this year and started out fast, beating FSU, watch how fast USF would have rocketed up expansion lists.

I pray our getting into the B12 has nothing to do with whether or not we can beat FSU. With the exception of MAYBE OU, FSU is better than every team in the B12.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Saw article vote to happen before season starts.

• Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

^ Here's a link to the article in case it hasn't been posted yet:

http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/big-12-prefers-to-decide-on-expansion-teams-before-start-of-2016-season/

Looks like a decision will be made within the next 30 days.  Chin straps on, guys, here we go...

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,469
  • Days Won:  25

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

My heart will be just fine no matter what happens. Would I prefer to be in a P5 conference? Absolutely, but as long as USF is playing football, no matter what affiliation, I'll be there and supporting.

This. ↑  And agree with the comment on the ACC... if I was choosin'

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722

Not to worry! We are in!

@J1012Jeff When B12 has press conference on 8/16/16, don't be surprised to see ADs from UCF & USF sitting with Bowlsby. Big 16 looks likely.

• Topic Count:  246
  • Content Count:  6,348

9 hours ago, deters- said:

If the thing about the TV money going to 800 mill is true, i don't see how Houston, USF and UCF get left behind. That's 3 top 20 TV markets. When you look at USF it really is a goldmine waiting to be tapped. TV market is #11, huge enrollment / alumni base, previous history of success, good facilities and academics, and biggest of all is our recruiting base. I know B12 already recruits here, but now they can have games every week as well as frickin billboards and other local advertisement. It honestly can't be any easier of a choice. Add USF already!

If the $800 mil payout is true, which I believe to be the major incentive for expansion, I don't even see what Houston adds. 

The growth in revenue comes from expanding into new markets such as Florida and/or Ohio/KY. 

The Houston markets already pick up The other Texas schools.  The would be like saying by adding USF and UCF to the SEC that Tampa and Orlando would start watch SEC games.  

From a revenue standpoint, I am not sure Houston adds much new TV revenue.  

The $800Mil (or $400 Mil) additional payout needs to be covered by new revenue (i.e expanded, new tv markets).