• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Getting to know Citadel....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  811
  • Days Won:  1

ASYTKYVBLNDVHGWW7PA7MWMJPU.jpg

By Joey Knight
Published Yesterday
Updated Yesterday
ADVERTISEMENT

A look at the Citadel, which plays USF on Saturday at Raymond James Stadium

Nickame: Bulldogs

2019 record: 6-6 (4-4 in Division I-AA Southern Conference)

Coach: Brent Thompson (fifth season, 26-20)

The breakdown: Because the Southern Conference opted to postpone fall-sports competition, Saturday’s game is one of only four the Citadel will play this fall (Southern Conference schools had the option of scheduling non-conference contests). A primary reason Jeff Scott booked the Bulldogs to fill a hole on USF’s non-conference slate was to help the Bulls prepare for Navy (Nov. 21). While no one runs a triple-option system quite like the Midshipmen’s, the Bulldogs will offer a skilled, seasoned variation. Quarterback Brandon Rainey (2,014 total yards, 30 touchdowns) is among 10 returning offensive starters for a Bulldogs unit that ranked sixth in I-AA in rushing (268.2 ypg) and upset Georgia Tech, 27-24 in overtime, in 2019. Arguably Rainey’s top backfield complement, graduate-transfer tailback Alex Ramsey (1,322 rushing yards for VMI in ’19), is among a half-dozen Bulldogs who have opted out this season. If these guys are on their game, USF won’t get many possessions, plain and simple. The Citadel ranked fifth in I-AA in time of possession (33:01) last season. Defensively, watch for 2019 first-team All-America linebacker Willie Eubanks III, a 230-pound senior whose 2019 stat line is pretty staggering (112 tackles, 11.5 tackles for loss, four sacks, 11 QB hurries, three forced fumbles, one interception).

Odds & ends: Scott’s father, USF chief of staff Brad Scott, got his first college coaching gig (as a graduate assistant) at the Citadel in 1981. ... The Bulldogs roster includes redshirt freshman defensive back Tyler Long (St. Petersburg High). ... USF is 1-1 all-time against the Citadel but hasn’t played the Bulldogs in 22 years. ... Because of COVID-19 travel protocols, the Citadel reportedly will travel with only about 60 players instead of the usual 63 or 64, and will reduce the number of administrators making the trip.

Audible: “They’ve got us this week and then they turn around and play Clemson next week, so they’re trying to wreck some dreams. ... When you can play free and play loose like I’m sure they will on Saturday night, it makes us definitely need to be focused and be ready." — Scott

Edited by 94 Bull
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

They only have a four game season, they can put it all on the line each week. 

• Topic Count:  47
  • Content Count:  811

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

They only have a four game season, they can put it all on the line each week. 

Yep... plus plenty of time for prep.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,990
  • Days Won:  12

Im actually worried about this one

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

1 minute ago, hm101 said:

Im actually worried about this one

I'd feel a little better about it if they weren't triple option ....

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  3,233
  • Days Won:  8

Win or lose, we're " Bowl Eligible" baby!!! Woot!!!

Edited by Azmodi

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  848

I was hoping "Getting to know Citadel...." was code for another "Girls Of" thread but that's way too much wishful thinking in a year where everything is sh***y. This awful year makes Girls of Pitt thread look good in comparison.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

I'd feel a little better about it if they weren't triple option ....

Exactly how I feel, with a new defense...going to need the offense to start clicking quick and put up points and get them out of comfort zone.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,634
  • Days Won:  424

1 hour ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Exactly how I feel, with a new defense...going to need the offense to start clicking quick and put up points and get them out of comfort zone.

With ND a week later, I just can't see them doing a whole lot of extra triple option work on defense. O definitely needs to be effective early and often ....