• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

It seems like McCloud will get the keys

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

37 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

It is also a wild swing downgrading a returning QB who had crap coaching and was injured. While, at the same time, supporting two QBs who were were not good enough to make it with their original university and retreated to USF.

Noah Johnson transferred here as a Grad transfer and is upgrading.   He was SWAC offensive player of the year and Championship Game Offensive MVP in 2018.  He had several other accolades as well that year.  His 2019 season was shortened by injury.   

Cade Fortin was beaten out by the guy, Sam Howell,  who broke the FBS freshman record for TDs last season.... in a P5 conference with a P5 schedule.   Howell was the number 3 pro style QB in the nation and the number 2 player in NC coming out of high school.  He is a potential Heisman Candidate.   

I agree with giving McCloud the benefit of the doubt against the Citadel and he could turn it around this year, but it is a far wilder "swing" to call either of these guys "not good enough to make it with their original university and retreated to USF" than it is to question McCloud's ability to play at this level.

Edited by chapelbull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

37 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

Lots of people forget how lost Flowers looked against SMU. It's crazy to me to think that players are who they are the first time they touch the field and will never get any better. Is McCloud the answer? Who knows but to outright right off an player so young and raw is foolish imo. 

Yes Flowers looked pretty bad vs a winless SMU team which Is why you have to accept that a freshman qb will have struggles.  Very few freshman qb just look brilliant from the start. 

He has valuable game experience from last season that will help him.

In the end we have time to let all three get real game reps to see who is best fit moving the offense before conference play starts. 

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

12 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Noah Johnson transferred here as a Grad transfer and is upgrading.   He was SWAC offensive player of the year and Championship Game Offensive MVP in 2018.  He had several other accolades as well that year.  His 2019 season was shortened by injury.   

Cade Fortin was beaten out by the guy, Sam Howell,  who broke the FBS freshman record for TDs last season.... in a P5 conference with a P5 schedule.   Howell was the number 3 pro style QB in the nation and the number 2 player in NC coming out of high school.  He is a potential Heisman Candidate.   

I agree with giving McCloud the benefit of the doubt against the Citadel and he could turn it around this year, but it is a far wilder "swing" to call either of these guys "not good enough to make it with their original university and retreated to USF" than it is to question McCloud's ability to play at this level.

Well, I guess my point to Bry was McCloud beat them both out...at least for the first game...and that should count for something as opposed to trashing the kid before he has played a down this year.

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

Well, I guess my point to Bry was McCloud beat them both out...at least for the first game...and that should count for something as opposed to trashing the kid before he has played a down this year.

That's fine, but your points about the other 2 were erroneous.   I don't think the criticism of McCloud is unwarranted (within reason).   I'm not sure that he "beat" the other 2 out at this point as much as CJS deferred to the incumbent for the opener.  When it is being said going in that all 3 will see snaps it isn't exactly a ringing endorsement for anyone.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Coach has already said all 3 are playing......against the Citadel. Who actually handles the 1st snap is irrelevant. We will know more by the end of the game. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

9 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

This. Let the kid play he might surprise you or might be a place holder but let's find a out before we write him off 

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712

11 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

Listen I will eat my own words if I am wrong but Mccloud was indecisive and did not see the field well. A moderate runner so even when he did escape he didn’t get far and arm strength was questionable. I don’t get it.

It's almost as though he was a freshman.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Fold FB Invest in BB said:

It's almost as though he was a freshman.

So was Sam Howell

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,919
  • Days Won:  33

Very sad to see some of the negativity in this thread. 

Could it be as simple as the new offense that we will run is more suited for Jordan than what we were trying to run last season?

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  76
  • Content Count:  6,712

3 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

So was Sam Howell

There was a reason he was the #3 prostyle QB in the country coming out of high school. There was also a reason we brought in Blake Barnett in 2018. All of the QBs on the roster after Flowers graduated were projects. That is evident by what we saw last year.