• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Michael Kelly Press Conference Today at 11:30am

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Comments from Kelly:

thanked CCS for contribution

MK visited at 2:00 to fire him

meet with other staff after that about recruiting 

meet with players after to give the news to them ...told them to focus grades and workouts

all of this was done in 1.5 hours

moving forward: search started last night

will not use search firm

was on the phone last night

no public comments until when they announce a new coach.

he is very energized about the program moving forward...the best yet to come 

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS:

Not going to pin in a time line 

buyout is considerable. Not paid out in a lump sum

financially the buyout will not hurt in getting a new coach. Will be in top half of salary in AAC

Will be open minded to different levels of experience. Need someone who wants to make their mark here.

Strong took the news well

came to the decision to fire Strong on Saturday 

Continuing to make the facilities better. Was a factor in strong’s lack of success but not the only factor. 

USF athletics is at a critical juncture. Have to realize the AAC plays big boy football. Must find ways to win the conference and move beyond

people need to be open minded about different coaches he will interview 

MK had consultation with the USF Pres and board before firing

he has received many calls for the position

Anticipates some recruits will stay and some will leave

next coach has to have good PR skills and comfortable in getting out into the community to sell the program.

existing coaching staff is on contract now and will recruit but their long term future is up to the new coach.

Players understood the professional aspect of the situation when MK talked to them

MK is open to talking to former players and expects to talk to them in the coming days. But the ultimate decision is his.

MK has a short list right now. Using his contacts from the past.

hoped that the team would push forward after being 4-4.

thanks for the synopsis

• Topic Count:  60
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  2

41 minutes ago, WWMJD said:

I don't know what to expect. Joey's tweet about Bassacia ("I'm sure Michael Kelly will discuss that name and all candidates (or not) at today's 11:30 presser.") didn't make any sense either. Why would the AD hold a presser to discuss the candidates and potential coaching hires? Especially naming names? That would be bizarre. I wish this team had legit coverage like the old days.

Why is that guy's name even being thrown out there?  Is Steve DUImig's ghost reaching out to them to push this pablum?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

Kelly has always proven himself to be a capable executive.  His connections from leading the CFP could pay some huge dividends here.  Not necessarily in a name, but I have no doubt that Kelly can talk with coaches and other ADs about potential coaches to keep an eye out for.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254

3 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Comments from Kelly:

meet with players after to give the news to them ...told them to focus grades and workouts

will not use search firm

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS:

financially the buyout will not hurt in getting a new coach. Will be in top half of salary in AAC

Will be open minded to different levels of experience. Need someone who wants to make their mark here.

Continuing to make the facilities better. Was a factor in strong’s lack of success but not the only factor. 

USF athletics is at a critical juncture. Have to realize the AAC plays big boy football. Must find ways to win the conference and move beyond

next coach has to have good PR skills and comfortable in getting out into the community to sell the program.

existing coaching staff is on contract now and will recruit but their long term future is up to the new coach.

Players understood the professional aspect of the situation when MK talked to them

MK is open to talking to former players and expects to talk to them in the coming days. But the ultimate decision is his.

Great comprehensive summary NEB.  I got the sense from Mike that he already  has a direction he's looking to go with his search.  The only thing I would add is that there was a pointed question about there being some 'clamoring' in social media about bringing back a former coach (CJL or CWT not cited by name) and Mike retorted with a pretty vanilla reply implying they would seek the best coach for the program.

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

6 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Comments from Kelly:

will not use search firm

ANSWERS TO QUESTIONS:

Thanks for giving us the rundown. I like what I’m hearing. Let’s hope MK pulls through with a fantastic hire

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 minutes ago, dclenden said:

Great comprehensive summary NEB.  I got the sense from Mike that he already  has a direction he's looking to go with his search.  The only thing I would add is that there was a pointed question about there being some 'clamoring' in social media about bringing back a former coach (CJL or CWT not cited by name) and Mike retorted with a pretty vanilla reply implying they would seek the best coach for the program.

Thanks. I was a little surprised that a more direct question about USF prior coaches would be considered. But you are right, I get the sense that everything and everyone is a possibility. MK is certainly very business like with a sharp focus. We will be fine.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  254

2 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Thanks. I was a little surprised that a more direct question about USF prior coaches would be considered. But you are right, I get the sense that everything and everyone is a possibility. MK is certainly very business like with a sharp focus. We will be fine.

NEB my wife and I just moved to St. Pete from Boston in 2018.  She is from Gilford, NH near Lake Winnespesaukee just north of you by about an hour.  We would attend USF-UCONN games throughout the years.  I would assume you had as well. Perhaps we even unknowingly attended one together.  Lived in Tampa from 1991-2006.   So glad to be home.  My wife has had a tough time with the heat as you can expect.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just now, dclenden said:

NEB my wife and I just moved to St. Pete from Boston in 2018.  She is from Gilford, NH near Lake Winnespesaukee just north of you by about an hour.  We would attend USF-UCONN games throughout the years.  I would assume you had as well. Perhaps we even unknowingly attended one together.  Lived in Tampa from 1991-2006.   So glad to be home.  My wife has had a tough time with the heat as you can expect.

Very cool. I do a lot of biking and hiking near Gifford. Yep was at every USF game vs Uconn game up here. Not going to miss Uconn but will miss driving 2 hours to see USF play. I am sure we ran into each other at some time. So you made it back to the Tampa area? I am not ready yet, but as I head out now to snow blow 14 inches of snow I am starting to think about it. 😂😂😂

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,331
  • Content Count:  97,076
  • Days Won:  469

Great PR with fans, not so much with media back then.  

He even tweets now.  

Which reminds me, bring back Leavitt and Tampa Bay Times can bring back McMurphy.  Fun times.