• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Women's Basketball vs #15 Texas

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,697
  • Days Won:  7

12 minutes ago, bullsfan27 said:

And Texas stays ranked above us as the only 0-1 team in the top 25. This early in the season Texas should've been knocked below us. They've proven nothing yet, so why are they deserving to stay ahead of us at this point? #P5Bias 

• Topic Count:  193
  • Content Count:  5,252
  • Days Won:  1

9 minutes ago, USFBulls12 said:

And Texas stays ranked above us as the only 0-1 team in the top 25. This early in the season Texas should've been knocked below us. They've proven nothing yet, so why are they deserving to stay ahead of us at this point? #P5Bias 

It probably has a little to do with us only beating them by 7. Had we beat them by 20+ they might have moved us ahead of them but p5 bias is probably the biggest reason

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

25 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Been wanting to recap my day as guest coach for the Texas game. Will try to keep it as brief as I can.

Got to spend 10 or 15 minutes with CJF in his office and then got to go to a film session.  When I walked in it was in progress minus the film.  The coaches were quizzing the players on their specific matchups. What does your player like to do (go right/left, drive, shoot from the outside, etc) and what don't they do well. Went thru all the players that would likely see playing time. Then they watched video of those players. Then they watched and analyzed inbound plays and discussed how they wanted to guard each. Fascinating how much work goes into each and every game, play and player.

Got to watch the walk thru with the Generals playing the part of Texas.  Ran some offensive sets but most of the time was spent on the defensive side and the inbound plays. Our coaching staff, down to the video guy, is a well oiled machine. Discussed a lot about when to go over or under screens.  CJF did put in 3 new offensive sets to start the game.  Amazing how quickly these ladies pick things up. But in discussions with the coaches they talked about the high basketball IQ of all of them. I wouldn't be able to remember their handshakes.

Got to join them for the team meal. Sat with the coaches and talked about non BB stuff.  3 proteins and lots of carbs.  Food was actually pretty good. No bourbon to be found. 😥

Rejoined the team around 6 on the floor.  The players and female coaches go back into the game day locker area down the tunnel and male coaches/personnel are told when to come in. Coach went over the keys for the game and then back out onto the floor.  The game itself goes by so quickly when you are down there it is incredible. The first media timeout came and I was like, WTF?  Why is their a stoppage?  Looked up at the clock and we were already under 5 mins.  Whole game was like that. At halftime coach focused on all the positives, went over the keys again and let them know that one particular option on offense should be avoided.  All in calm, confident tones. No yelling or screaming. 

My sole contribution was having a couple of the players say "Coach, can you grab me a water bottle?". Otherwise I did my best to stay out of the way.  The best takeaway was that we won which gives me the opportunity to maybe do it again. Was threatened with not being invited back if we lost. Not sure how serious but my heart raced the entire 2nd half.  My FItBit had me at 115 bbm the few times I checked it during that half. Going through the line with the other team at the end of the game was pretty cool as well.

Awesome.

With your perfect record they should force you to do it for tourney games.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Awesome experience. Thank you for sharing. 

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Pretty freaking cool

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,697
  • Days Won:  7

54 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Been wanting to recap my day as guest coach for the Texas game. Will try to keep it as brief as I can.

Got to spend 10 or 15 minutes with CJF in his office and then got to go to a film session.  When I walked in it was in progress minus the film.  The coaches were quizzing the players on their specific matchups. What does your player like to do (go right/left, drive, shoot from the outside, etc) and what don't they do well. Went thru all the players that would likely see playing time. Then they watched video of those players. Then they watched and analyzed inbound plays and discussed how they wanted to guard each. Fascinating how much work goes into each and every game, play and player.

Got to watch the walk thru with the Generals playing the part of Texas.  Ran some offensive sets but most of the time was spent on the defensive side and the inbound plays. Our coaching staff, down to the video guy, is a well oiled machine. Discussed a lot about when to go over or under screens.  CJF did put in 3 new offensive sets to start the game.  Amazing how quickly these ladies pick things up. But in discussions with the coaches they talked about the high basketball IQ of all of them. I wouldn't be able to remember their handshakes.

Got to join them for the team meal. Sat with the coaches and talked about non BB stuff.  3 proteins and lots of carbs.  Food was actually pretty good. No bourbon to be found. 😥

Rejoined the team around 6 on the floor.  The players and female coaches go back into the game day locker area down the tunnel and male coaches/personnel are told when to come in. Coach went over the keys for the game and then back out onto the floor.  The game itself goes by so quickly when you are down there it is incredible. The first media timeout came and I was like, WTF?  Why is their a stoppage?  Looked up at the clock and we were already under 5 mins.  Whole game was like that. At halftime coach focused on all the positives, went over the keys again and let them know that one particular option on offense should be avoided.  All in calm, confident tones. No yelling or screaming. 

My sole contribution was having a couple of the players say "Coach, can you grab me a water bottle?". Otherwise I did my best to stay out of the way.  The best takeaway was that we won which gives me the opportunity to maybe do it again. Was threatened with not being invited back if we lost. Not sure how serious but my heart raced the entire 2nd half.  My FItBit had me at 115 bbm the few times I checked it during that half. Going through the line with the other team at the end of the game was pretty cool as well.

1-0 record.. you deserve an extension

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

What an amazing experience!