• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Accountant’s 2 cents

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  2

USF didn’t lose this week, so go bulls! 

Memphis’ defense allowed around the same amount of points to SMU as we did, meaning their defense is on par with ours. However, Memphis’ offense put up 54 points against a defense that we scored 21 (garbage time points) against. Our defense is in for a long day against Memphis in a few weeks but our offense should be able to put up some points. Additionally, Memphis plays 10x better at home than away. So perhaps this could turn out to be a more interesting game than people think.  

Cincinnati almost lost to ECU. The same ECU that we just blew out. Perhaps cincy just had a bad game, happens to everyone. But if that same cincy shows up at Raymond James, we could have a shot for an upset. 

Mickey Mouse community college is 💩 and I hope they lose every game they ever play. Thought Houston had a shot at this one but then they shirt the bed. 

USF is better than last year’s team, UCF is overrated, Memphis’ defense can cause their team some trouble, and cincy has some issues. Maybe, just maybe there’s a chance we make some no name bowl game. If we do, I’ll be there!

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  484
  • Days Won:  1

While I hate UCF with a passion, I don't think they are overrated right now. In fact, I think they are currently underrated. Their offense is still extremely deadly when it clicks, especially Dillon Gabriel's deep ball. I agree with the rest of the analysis. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  847

1 hour ago, TheAccountant said:

USF is better than last year’s team,

If we win twice in November, no doubt. We need at least one to debate progress from 2018. We cant have another winless November.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

9 hours ago, TheAccountant said:

Memphis’ defense allowed around the same amount of points to SMU as we did, meaning their defense is on par with ours.

I think we've improved on both sides of the ball since our game vs. SMU. We've won 3 of 4 since, the OL has improved quite a bit, and the defense seems to be playing better as a unit. We're a slightly better team than the one we fielded against  SMU at this point, so the Us vs. SMU/Memphis vs. SMU comparison might not be that accurate.

Cincinnati almost lost to ECU. The same ECU that we just blew out. Perhaps cincy just had a bad game, happens to everyone. But if that same cincy shows up at Raymond James, we could have a shot for an upset. 

Probably this, but maybe ECU exposed something? Cincy basically gets a week off (UConn) before they play us. They will still be ranked coming into Tampa. Great opportunity to beat a Top 25 team, something Charlie has yet to do in his tenure here.

Mickey Mouse community college is 💩

Wishful thinking here. They are still very good, and this looks to be the least winnable game left. They look to be the most balanced, and that offense will be a problem. 

USF is better than last year’s team

The season isn't over yet, but I agree with this, regardless of what our record ends up being. The schedule is tougher this year, and I get the feeling that there is at least hope at this point. I think we have improved tremendously since the first couple of weeks, especially on offense, and can continue to do so if McCloud (or any of the QBs) improves the passing game.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273

Teams either improve and get worse throughout the season..I think we can play with Cinci and Mephis...UCF will be a tough test in Oviedo although their defense isn't very good...but they can still run up and down the field on offense

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I can only recall one or maybe two USF football teams who got stronger as the season went along. CJL was notorious for late season swoons. CSH followed his upset of Notre Dame with four wins then promptly lost seven in a row. CWT in his final year got hot in the end but the Temple loss was a killer. Of course CCS lost seven on a row last year. Not likely we win the next four (for a five game end of year winning streak) but two ain’t crazy. 

• Me no likey 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,009
  • Days Won:  38

I like this feature of the Accountant's 2 Cents.  Maybe the Accountant's Football Ledger or Month End Closing is too nerdy.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  48
  • Content Count:  684
  • Days Won:  2

I’m early, and my opinion may change after today’s slate of games. But here we go. 

The highlight of this season for USF has been our defense when they show up (see GT, SC State, UConn, BYU, ECU, and temple). The defensive stats in those 6 games are as follows:

1. 19 points per game - 18th in the nation
  2. 335 yards per game - 29th in the nation
  3. 196 Pass yards per game - 35th in the nation
  4. 139 Rush Yards per Game - 45th in the nation
  5. 3 turnovers per game - 1st in the nation
  6. 10 Tackles for Loss per game – 1st in the nation
  7. 3 sacks per game – 23rd in the nation

At times, the defense does give up big plays and is not very consistent, but the stats above don’t lie. When they show up, they are darn good compared to the defenses USF has been putting out for the last couple of years. The unfortunate thing is that we lose a lot of the defense to graduation (Reaves, Livingstone, Macon, Studstill). So for everyone saying that we need to raid the portal in the off-season for offensive players, keep in mind our defense will also be lacking depth. 

I stand beside my statement that Mickey Mouse Community College is 💩 (see Tulane). It is still possible to make a bowl game if 2 things happen. 

1. Offensive line shows up and we rush for 200 yards or more (Team is 18-1 under strong when it rushes for 200 or more)
  2. Defense shows up and has a stat line along the stats listed above in the 6 games they have shown up

If both of those 2 things happen, I can see us squeaking out a close one at home verse Memphis and taking it to a defeated and discouraged UCF. I have already written off Cincy as a loss since they look like the most complete team in the conference.

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  1,273

9 minutes ago, TheAccountant said:

I’m early, and my opinion may change after today’s slate of games. But here we go. 

The highlight of this season for USF has been our defense when they show up (see GT, SC State, UConn, BYU, ECU, and temple). The defensive stats in those 6 games are as follows:

1. 19 points per game - 18th in the nation
  2. 335 yards per game - 29th in the nation
  3. 196 Pass yards per game - 35th in the nation
  4. 139 Rush Yards per Game - 45th in the nation
  5. 3 turnovers per game - 1st in the nation
  6. 10 Tackles for Loss per game – 1st in the nation
  7. 3 sacks per game – 23rd in the nation

At times, the defense does give up big plays and is not very consistent, but the stats above don’t lie. When they show up, they are darn good compared to the defenses USF has been putting out for the last couple of years. The unfortunate thing is that we lose a lot of the defense to graduation (Reaves, Livingstone, Macon, Studstill). So for everyone saying that we need to raid the portal in the off-season for offensive players, keep in mind our defense will also be lacking depth. 

I stand beside my statement that Mickey Mouse Community College is 💩 (see Tulane). It is still possible to make a bowl game if 2 things happen. 

1. Offensive line shows up and we rush for 200 yards or more (Team is 18-1 under strong when it rushes for 200 or more)
  2. Defense shows up and has a stat line along the stats listed above in the 6 games they have shown up

If both of those 2 things happen, I can see us squeaking out a close one at home verse Memphis and taking it to a defeated and discouraged UCF. I have already written off Cincy as a loss since they look like the most complete team in the conference.

If we stay committed to the run...Mathis being sick really put us back (we went away from the two te set which may have been the most successful formation ran all year) and Evans can play I like our chances...I'm not concerned with our d...they have been pretty good all year