• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Now we're into fashion - helmet change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,340
  • Days Won:  43

1 minute ago, usf97 said:

I get that. But I do not believe blowing up the staff mid-season would be the best thing for USF football at this point. 

Other posters have alluded to CCS getting phased out. We are looking at two different coaching staffs here. One of those staffs has only been here 5 games. Do I think we need to have patience with CCS? No.

Do I think KB will be the end all be all? That I do not know. But I do not think it would be fair if Kelly didn't at least give him a year to prove he can coach. Just because CCS is deadwood doesn't mean KB is. 

I don't think the UConn game win is a sign of progress but what I do see as progress is the fake FG and the new uniform. Maybe CCS is loosening up but if he is I suspect it is being forced upon him. 

Well said. I share the same thoughts about the state of the program. It is not as bad as many think. We will be fine soon 

• Topic Count:  743
  • Content Count:  13,357
  • Days Won:  63

1 hour ago, usf97 said:

I get that. But I do not believe blowing up the staff mid-season would be the best thing for USF football at this point. 

Other posters have alluded to CCS getting phased out. We are looking at two different coaching staffs here. One of those staffs has only been here 5 games. Do I think we need to have patience with CCS? No.

Do I think KB will be the end all be all? That I do not know. But I do not think it would be fair if Kelly didn't at least give him a year to prove he can coach. Just because CCS is deadwood doesn't mean KB is. 

I don't think the UConn game win is a sign of progress but what I do see as progress is the fake FG and the new uniform. Maybe CCS is loosening up but if he is I suspect it is being forced upon him. 

Good way of looking at it

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

If CCS gets fired there is pretty close to a 0.0% chance any coach that comes on would retain CKB. KB was brought in as a hail marry attempt to save CCS' job, either he does enough to save them both or they both are gone. 

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

15 minutes ago, puc86 said:

If CCS gets fired there is pretty close to a 0.0% chance any coach that comes on would retain CKB. KB was brought in as a hail marry attempt to save CCS' job, either he does enough to save them both or they both are gone. 

I agree. I think the 2 year contract to KB is telling. It didn't match CCS 3 years left on his contract. Based on Kelly's reactions back in November and December, it seemed pretty clear to me that Kelly was acting in a way that only made sense if that 3 years of CCS contract was mostly guaranteed.

I am sure Kelly would have loved to start from scratch after the UCF game last year but his actions and the 2 year KB contract lead me to believe he guaranteed CCS and KB 2 seasons to turn this thing around. It will be interesting to see how the this season plays out but I don't believe Kelly has any intention of firing CCS this year. I think he is hoping KB can turn things around and is shifting power and control in his direction. I anticipate CCS losing more coaches and KB bringing in more coaches this offseason. Someone like Danny Verpaele seems likely. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

2 hours ago, usf97 said:

May make the job a more difficult sale if it comes with a predetermined OC...

• Topic Count:  179
  • Content Count:  3,647
  • Days Won:  4

3 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

May make the job a more difficult sale if it comes with a predetermined OC...

If Kelly buys out CCS early then KB is gone also.

Once Kelly fires CCS then he has to pay him all of that money. As long as CCS is still the “Head Coach”, he could still technically mess up and somehow be in default of his contract ( do something incredibly stupid) and let USF off the hook. Not saying that is likely but I think Kelly is hoping KB and his offense and coaches can buy him a year or two. Even if this thing is turned around somehow, I don’t see anything that CCS could do (dare I say it) to get an extension past 2021. 

Guest Jonesy Bull
7 minutes ago, usf97 said:

If Kelly buys out CCS early then KB is gone also.

Once Kelly fires CCS then he has to pay him all of that money. As long as CCS is still the “Head Coach”, he could still technically mess up and somehow be in default of his contract ( do something incredibly stupid) and let USF off the hook. Not saying that is likely but I think Kelly is hoping KB and his offense and coaches can buy him a year or two. Even if this thing is turned around somehow, I don’t see anything that CCS could do (dare I say it) to get an extension past 2021. 

Dont say anything.  Winning a conference championship should do the trick.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

3 hours ago, usf97 said:

I agree. I think the 2 year contract to KB is telling. It didn't match CCS 3 years left on his contract. Based on Kelly's reactions back in November and December, it seemed pretty clear to me that Kelly was acting in a way that only made sense if that 3 years of CCS contract was mostly guaranteed.

I am sure Kelly would have loved to start from scratch after the UCF game last year but his actions and the 2 year KB contract lead me to believe he guaranteed CCS and KB 2 seasons to turn this thing around. It will be interesting to see how the this season plays out but I don't believe Kelly has any intention of firing CCS this year. I think he is hoping KB can turn things around and is shifting power and control in his direction. I anticipate CCS losing more coaches and KB bringing in more coaches this offseason. Someone like Danny Verpaele seems likely. 

I for one want to see KB get a second year...

Guest Jonesy Bull
10 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I for one want to see KB get a second year...

I do too.  Historically, the second year is when his offenses take off.

The problem is he may not get that chance if CCS is canned.

Alot of football left to see how this all plays out.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

What if the offense later in year looks really good say avgs 35+ a game but you arent winning many games cause of a bad defense. So you you have a offense that should have won 7+ games but only won 4 or so.

Do you still can Strong or do you make changes at DC.  

Tricky situation for Kelly.