• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Welcome atsKnight

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,336
  • Days Won:  10

The "rivalry" thing was something that UCF wanted badly.  They believed that it would bring name recognition to both programs.  As you stated, we had a different strategy (and still adhere to it somewhat).  But we shouldn't confuse the program strategy with the fans' strategy.  I have had little problem with UCF football program.  To me, outside of recruiting the same players, they are just another conference foe.  But you may not have been around when we played our initial game at RayJay.  The UCF fans were horrible.  I witnessed three UCF girls harassing a very pregnant USF fan trying to stop over the fence on Hines.  Parking lots trashed, cans turned over, cars scratched.  We wanted nothing to do with your fanbase and still don't.  I appreciate your tone and I am sorry for the rough time you already have experienced here but there is bad history and it has not much to do with the games.

I am somewhat in a distinct position as I have a BA from USF and an MS from UCF.  I have interacted with UCF students for years.  UCF is a good academic school.  Students are students and, institutionally, you guys will get where we are (preeminence).  There is not much difference in most aspects except fanbase.  That goes back to when USF first got a team and I don't see anything in the attitude of the fanbase at UCF that has changed much.

What I don't understand is this "concern" that UCF fans have for our program.  UCF pushes the rivalry thing, "hates" our program, celebrates that they are far ahead, but then expresses fraternal concern that we may be damaging our program with our scheduling, lack of OCS, facilities (I'm starting to depress myself...), etc.  and if we would just follow their blueprint we could enjoy the success that they have.  Seems disingenuous, but I may be off base.  There are decent fans in every program.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  139
  • Days Won:  0

3 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

What I don't understand is this "concern" that UCF fans have for our program.  UCF pushes the rivalry thing, "hates" our program, celebrates that they are far ahead, but then expresses fraternal concern that we may be damaging our program with our scheduling, lack of OCS, facilities (I'm starting to depress myself...), etc.  and if we would just follow their blueprint we could enjoy the success that they have.  Seems disingenuous, but I may be off base.  There are decent fans in every program.

What I think you're picking up on is that the advice isn't disingenuous, but the motivation is. We all struggle with whether to root for conference mates, so our wins are more meaningful, or against them, as they are rivals for limited resources. 

If you could give a conference-mate good advice, knowing that they will ignore or probably go against that advice because you're the one sharing it, wouldn't you? You've done your duty as a conference-mate and it makes it WAY more fun when they experience consequences as a result of ignoring good advice. 

I think that's what you're sensing, UCF fans are happy to give advice and are even happier to watch y'all ignore it. 

Edited by atsKnight

4 hours ago, atsKnight said:

If you could give a conference-mate good advice, knowing that they will ignore or probably go against that advice because you're the one sharing it, wouldn't you?

Actually, yes.  I visited the UCF board back when your AD expressed discontentment with our two for ones.  I posted with respect about the difference in strategies and how I believed your AD shot himself in the foot announcing no more two for ones after ticking off Saban and the rest of the world with the Natty talk.  It was out of concern for a conference mate.  Got pretty much the same reception as you got here 😁

24 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

Actually, yes.  I visited the UCF board back when your AD expressed discontentment with our two for ones.  I posted with respect about the difference in strategies and how I believed your AD shot himself in the foot announcing no more two for ones after ticking off Saban and the rest of the world with the Natty talk.  It was out of concern for a conference mate.  Got pretty much the same reception as you got here 😁

Time will tell which side has the better strategy.

I do see a difference, though, in that we're quite satisfied with the results of our strategy so far. USF fans seem content with the potential results of theirs. 

4 hours ago, atsKnight said:

Time will tell which side has the better strategy.

I do see a difference, though, in that we're quite satisfied with the results of our strategy so far. USF fans seem content with the potential results of theirs. 

I wouldn't say content.  But yes, it is a different focus.

4 hours ago, Grateful Dad said:

I wouldn't say content.  But yes, it is a different focus.

You might not feel content, but other fans are quite happy to tell me how superior USF's strategies are and how UCF could never dream of catching up.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

10 minutes ago, atsKnight said:

You might not feel content, but other fans are quite happy to tell me how superior USF's strategies are and how UCF could never dream of catching up.

Just for funsies, out of the 22 completed seasons USF has played, how many of them would you be comfortable saying UCF was demonstrably better than USF? Please do not go off on a tangent, a simple year and thumbs up, thumbs down, marker will suffice. For instance:

2017 - UCF

2018 - UCF

I would like you to put it out there for everyone. This is my question. I will be more than open to further analysis and posts AFTER you do this. I 100% believe you will not do this without a ******** post where you try and veer off into something not asked of you in this post. You say you want discourse, this is my question and I am eagerly awaiting your inability to engage. Call it my hypothesis.

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

14 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Just for funsies, out of the 22 completed seasons USF has played, how many of them would you be comfortable saying UCF was demonstrably better than USF? Please do not go off on a tangent, a simple year and thumbs up, thumbs down, marker will suffice. For instance:

2017 - UCF

2018 - UCF

I would like you to put it out there for everyone. This is my question. I will be more than open to further analysis and posts AFTER you do this. I 100% believe you will not do this without a ******** post where you try and veer off into something not asked of you in this post. You say you want discourse, this is my question and I am eagerly awaiting your inability to engage. Call it my hypothesis.

Maybe he can use the Colley Matrix if he gets stuck on any.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Just now, puc86 said:

There is no way on Earth he's going to do it. On the absolutely slightest chance he does, it will open all the discourse he wants. If he dodges this question, he outs himself as complete ********. Now, we all know he is, but here is his chance to get knee-deep in exactly what he claims he came here for.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, puc86 said:

I'll take that to mean you agree with his take, puc, that USF was better than UCF in 2013?

6 minutes ago, JTrue said:

There is no way on Earth he's going to do it. On the absolutely slightest chance he does, it will open all the discourse he wants. If he dodges this question, he outs himself as complete ********. Now, we all know he is, but here is his chance to get knee-deep in exactly what he claims he came here for.

I guess I have to do what you tell me to, now that you double-dog dared me. 

Is there no chance or the slightest chance? You seem confused.