• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Usf is a G5 school

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

29 minutes ago, John Lewis said:

Some great questions here and I will try to answer as best I can.

I'm not sure what the most effective way there is for our fans to express their displeasure besides voting with their dollars. However, I do know that we have an AD who will listen to our fans, who will speak to our fans and he has proven that in his time here. I also know that pulling dollars from a program that needs to raise more than we have is also not effective. We are right in the middle of a campaign to build a facility that will transform the program we are most passionate about and because we're in a  tough situation people want to run from. This doesn't help us move forward at all. Obviously, I cannot tell those who post here, or who I talk to personally, how to spend their dollars, but I can say that we can't move in the direction we all want if support wanes.

You do bring up an interesting point about the dissolution of the Big East. I wouldn't agree that we have appeared to have squandered anything because we, and the other members, were left in the cold by Syracuse and Pitt. This surely is a cause of the program not being the same as it was 10 years ago. 

I would also say the the consumer is part of the problem. I'm not talking about those who aren't going to the games now, or donating to the Bulls Club. I'm talking about those who found it convenient to leave once we lost the Big East affiliation and the automatic BCS berth. Yes, that happened during a downturn in the program, but we bounced back. I talk to many people every day and sometime I reach out to those who have not been involved with us for a period of time and it's a shame when I hear that there is not interest in the programs that we play right now. I could care less who we play because I attend game to watch USF. MY TEAM!!

I have generally taken the same view point, although I can't ignore economic reality. 

The Skip Holtz downturn was extraordinarily bad timing that no one had control over. If anything, one could make the case that USF's doom was sealed with the hiring of Woolard. He just wasn't cognizant of what football does for a college athletic program and refused to learn. Had there been better leadership it wouldn't have guaranteed that we move to the ACC or a better conference, but it would have at least given USF a fighting chance to be ready for the alignment shuffle. 

I would also agree with the point that yes, the conference downgrade has made an impact. I can't tell you how many people I've begged to go to (or watch) games with me over the years. Typically it turns out one of three ways:

1. They refuse and give me talk about how USF needs to be in a better conference. 

2. They watch, but USF loses yet another key game for the future of the program (i.e. UCF 2017). 

3. I bring a family member only to see USF get destroyed on the field. 

I sympathize for you, because it has been so difficult for me to sell USF to my friends and family. 

The last 9 games are especially bad because people were starting to believe in USF again after we'd started winning and showing something from 2015 to 2017. We had around 40k for last year's game vs. UConn. Now it will take another four years just to reach that point again-possibly more, because people's hope has been shattered. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,566
  • Days Won:  423

5 hours ago, puc86 said:

Thank you for the in depth reply. I completely understand your position and from the business perspective it completely makes sense. What I think some on here are all too quick to dismiss is from the consumer perspective it completely makes sense why some would navigate away from the program. It is unfortunate and I too have no idea what can be done to fix the rift that is growing between consumers and the football program but I do not begrudge those that have had their fill and they obviously have every right to give up and there is nothing that will get worse for them by doing so. 

And I completely understand navigating away from the program, getting tired of it and spending money elsewhere. My point was don't say you do still care and withhold money as some sort of a statement, thinking it will send some sort of message and speed up improvement. Your money's not lining the pockets of rich owners and almost as rich players. It's the lifeblood of a program ...

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

And I completely understand navigating away from the program, getting tired of it and spending money elsewhere. My point was don't say you do still care and withhold money as some sort of a statement, thinking it will send some sort of message and speed up improvement. Your money's not lining the pockets of rich owners and almost as rich players. It's the lifeblood of a program ...

Are the people that are pulling funding and navigating away from the program claiming that they still care dearly? I think they are saying I can’t deal with this **** anymore.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

Are the people that are pulling funding and navigating away from the program claiming that they still care dearly? I think they are saying I can’t deal with this **** anymore.

Like I said, if they're saying they can't deal with this **** anymore, I get it, not a problem ...... cya. That would mean leaving the board, too, I would think ..... but there some here talking about sending a message.

37 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Like I said, if they're saying they can't deal with this **** anymore, I get it, not a problem ...... cya. That would mean leaving the board, too, I would think ..... but there some here talking about sending a message.

What if they still supported another sport or sports?

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

21 minutes ago, puc86 said:

What if, and this is just me spitballing, they decided to funnel a little of that money to academics?

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, JTrue said:

What if, and this is just me spitballing, they decided to funnel a little of that money to academics?

They could use the academic board obviously  

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

17 minutes ago, puc86 said:

They could use the academic board obviously  

Nerd board.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

Both viable options. I know people that pulled money from Athletics and put it toward the Business College during Harlan's tenure.  IF, and that is a big IF, I cut back on football I'll increase the donation to MBB, WBB, MGolf and MSoccer.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, puc86 said:

Good point ..... and there is that nerd board here for those completely giving up Athletics, so the site would still be an option.