• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Your 3 players on D to stop the run against Wisconsin?0

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

On 8/11/2019 at 7:54 AM, Gatorbull325 said:

We have (4) 300Ib DTs this year in Kegler, Pickney, Waller and Armon Williams. (1) 290 Ib DT in Blake Green. We have (2) 270+ Ib DTs in Barber and Yates, whom both played well at that weight. I think we have size for the middle now. Our DEs are averaging around 250Ibs. I expect our Dline as a whole 2 be much tougher and better. Wisconsin will be a great test. It still sucks we didnt get a warm up game b4 playing Wisconsin, but glass half full, what a great 1st victory it shall be. I also think having such a hard 1st game brough a sense of urgency to this offseason conditioning and camps. 

Charlie and the guys had this game circled.  They knew it would be the test of the team... on the good party, it's their first game too.  They have a lot of new starters... so I'm not really so worried about experience.  I'm sure that BJM will have the defense ready.  One thing also... unless they pull film on Val. St., they have no tape of our offense and we have an attacking OC with a lot of weapons.  I think our team speed will be big in this game. On defense and offense.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,713
  • Days Won:  109

5 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Charlie and the guys had this game circled.  They knew it would be the test of the team... on the good party, it's their first game too.  They have a lot of new starters... so I'm not really so worried about experience.  I'm sure that BJM will have the defense ready.  One thing also... unless they pull film on Val. St., they have no tape of our offense and we have an attacking OC with a lot of weapons.  I think our team speed will be big in this game. On defense and offense.

You don't think they'll do exactly that?

1 minute ago, CousinRicky said:

You don't think they'll do exactly that?

It wont really help.  We have different personnel and strengths... Bell adjust his offense according to where his playmakers are.  He even said the offense warps and changes from year to year according to where his best guys are.  He also changes it every week according to the defense.  I mean he knows they'll look at that tape, but it may not be of any use.  

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, Calibull said:

It wont really help.  We have different personnel and strengths... Bell adjust his offense according to where his playmakers are.  He even said the offense warps and changes from year to year according to where his best guys are.  He also changes it every week according to the defense.  I mean he knows they'll look at that tape, but it may not be of any use.  

I like the way that sounds, but every good offense does that (or should do that). I agree that we'll have some surprises based on our players, but I have to imagine KB has some plays that are his go-to calls that won't be a total mystery.

9 minutes ago, JTrue said:

I like the way that sounds, but every good offense does that (or should do that). I agree that we'll have some surprises based on our players, but I have to imagine KB has some plays that are his go-to calls that won't be a total mystery.

Oh, I totally agree... but all we need is just enough to keep them off balance. The thing I like about Bell is he uses plays to set up other plays.   You cheat once time and he'll burn you.  I think we're about to be in for a show.  

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

I think our biggest problem will be with their zone blitz. How Barnett reads those will be key.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

2 hours ago, BDYZR said:

I think our biggest problem will be with their zone blitz. How Barnett reads those will be key.

This. I expect Jim Leonhard to attack the unknown of KB’s offense with a lot of pressure. Even more important than BB reading the coverage, can our OL pick up the pressures? Nothing disrupts a beautifully designed play like a free rusher. 

There’s a lot of talk about the weight/strength gains, but we have struggled in picking up stunts/blitzes in the past. Hopefully Darveau has these guys prepared 

Edited by IBulleve

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,470
  • Days Won:  25

15 minutes ago, IBulleve said:

This. I expect Jim Leonhard to attack the unknown of KB’s offense with a lot of pressure. Even more important than BB reading the coverage, can our OL pick up the pressures? Nothing disrupts a beautifully designed play like a free rusher. 

There’s a lot of talk about the weight/strength gains, but we have struggled in picking up stunts/blitzes in the past. Hopefully Darveau has these guys prepared 

From the Coach Ellis thread - USF's secondary definitely got it during the first scrimmage of the fall Saturday, hauling in five interceptions and hearing Ellis' loud voice of approval as he jumped with excitement.

From the Joey thread on Tackling - Grade a c-minus...

Sounds like the offense struggled a bit in the Saturday scrimmage. I would like to here CKB's take on it.

Actually sounds like both sides struggled a bit.

Edited by BDYZR

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,564
  • Days Won:  28

10 hours ago, Calibull said:

I was going to say that. We haven't really distributed the ball around on offense these past few years. So even if they watch Val St games, they have no clue as to what our offensive players besides Barnett, Ford, Cronkrite, Wilcox and St. Felix can do. We have so many other weapons, that even when our starters get taken out we will finally still be able to score points.  

4 hours ago, Gatorbull325 said:

I was going to say that. We haven't really distributed the ball around on offense these past few years. So even if they watch Val St games, they have no clue as to what our offensive players besides Barnett, Ford, Cronkrite, Wilcox and St. Felix can do. We have so many other weapons, that even when our starters get taken out we will finally still be able to score points.  

I honestly think McDoom and Ford will present matchup nightmares for them.  They'll either have to zone or get eaten up by the slots... or some type of man or safety help which mean St. Felix one on one outside and Mitch working the center of the field. I'm just starting to realize what matchup problems we present because we do have so many playmakers.  The closer to this game we get the more I like our chances.