• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Your 3 players on D to stop the run against Wisconsin?0

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  125
  • Content Count:  649
  • Days Won:  0

1. I'm going with Devin Studstill and his ability to get to the ball before the play can develop. Even if he is blowing up a pulling guard or leading back.

2. Patrick Macon has the physical tools and size to plug the gaps in that big red line.

3. I think John Waller will get in early and never look back as he becomes dominant  dominant force on the line.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

Everyone Know's I've been high on Waller...  I still think he'll be one of the best DT's we've ever had.  Also think his size will come in handy...  But I don't think you can find any particular 3... this will have to be a team effort.  Thank god we are so deep this season, I don't expect to see us wear down like we did last season.  Especially with a full compliment of DLinemen and LBs.. We're deep this season, huge difference from last.

That said, I'll have to list 6 players because we'll need to look at the 2 deep.

Kegler, Livingstone, Slade, Macon, Sawtelle, Boyles, and Pickney

If these guys play good, we'll be straight. 

Edited by Calibull

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

Agree it will take a team effort.

Having the new rule of still being able to RS within 4 games being played. Forget how many teams can travel, but we'll have the whole team to use on D.

Also, OFFENSE! We need to SCORE !!

Go BULLS !!!

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

All I know is it is going to take a hell of lot more than three players...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Yup... it will take more than 3... but I feel like the secondary will be straight no matter what... so if we get guys good playing in the middle and the LBs are strong... we can do some things.  This defense is light and day from last season.  We got better and deeper.  The transfer portal has allowed us to build what could be a really good defense.  I think we have enough quality talent to elevate the play of the entire team.  I think we'll do better than some expect... a lot better.

• Topic Count:  4,751
  • Content Count:  37,676
  • Days Won:  29

9 hours ago, Calibull said:

... so if we get guys good playing in the middle and the LBs are strong... we can do some things.  ...

And I think these two fill the bill. Sawtelle and Macon. Besides these two, it's a very young group overall.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

13 hours ago, Calibull said:

so if we get guys good playing in the middle and the LBs are strong... we can do some things.

Remember when Monty Kiffin said the same thing about the Bucs. Then it was Sapp, Brooks and Lynch with a little Barber thrown in. Even Joe Maddon says the same in baseball. "You gotta be strong up the middle to be successful on defense."

If we are fundamentally strong, as a team, we'll have a good chance.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,723
  • Days Won:  109

26 minutes ago, BDYZR said:

Remember when Monty Kiffin said the same thing about the Bucs. Then it was Sapp, Brooks and Lynch with a little Barber thrown in. Even Joe Maddon says the same in baseball. "You gotta be strong up the middle to be successful on defense."

If we are fundamentally strong, as a team, we'll have a good chance.

He may say that but I've heard that since I was a kid.  Catching, SS, 2B & CF are key.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,572
  • Days Won:  28

We have (4) 300Ib DTs this year in Kegler, Pickney, Waller and Armon Williams. (1) 290 Ib DT in Blake Green. We have (2) 270+ Ib DTs in Barber and Yates, whom both played well at that weight. I think we have size for the middle now. Our DEs are averaging around 250Ibs. I expect our Dline as a whole 2 be much tougher and better. Wisconsin will be a great test. It still sucks we didnt get a warm up game b4 playing Wisconsin, but glass half full, what a great 1st victory it shall be. I also think having such a hard 1st game brough a sense of urgency to this offseason conditioning and camps. 

• Upvote 2

On 8/11/2019 at 2:23 AM, E.T. said:

And I think these two fill the bill. Sawtelle and Macon. Besides these two, it's a very young group overall.

On 8/11/2019 at 7:54 AM, Gatorbull325 said:

We have (4) 300Ib DTs this year in Kegler, Pickney, Waller and Armon Williams. (1) 290 Ib DT in Blake Green. We have (2) 270+ Ib DTs in Barber and Yates, whom both played well at that weight. I think we have size for the middle now. Our DEs are averaging around 250Ibs. I expect our Dline as a whole 2 be much tougher and better. Wisconsin will be a great test. It still sucks we didnt get a warm up game b4 playing Wisconsin, but glass half full, what a great 1st victory it shall be. I also think having such a hard 1st game brough a sense of urgency to this offseason conditioning and camps. 

I agree with you both. The closer it gets to the game and the more I find out about both teams, the more I like our chances.