• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

We have to be able to do better than this...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,013
  • Days Won:  38

4 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Hockey fans are also an entirely different type of fan. Though Tampa may have a lot of two team hockey fans, those fans actually show up to many Lightning games other than when their old home team show up. People from traditional hockey markets just love to watch hockey.

That's true, but I think there's a real tradition, vibe, and identity with that team even in its short history.  I am not sure USF knows what it is doing in that department.  Maybe it's just a matter of needing more generations of USF fans to come up in the modern era...

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,679
  • Days Won:  108

8 hours ago, Triple B said:

You do know the same hype guy does both Bulls and Lightning games?

As far as moving the band, weren't there complaints that they couldn't be heard in some areas of the stadium so this may help that (although mic'ing band could help, too) .... and I'm trying to remember but don't some other schools put their band in then zone ..... lastly, I'm good with anything to get, and keep, the student section as full as possible, as long as possible.

Two possible reasons I thought I heard for the new team entrance. The "new" dressing room makes it better there .... better to have team run on facing the side with actual fans in it.

Think this came from CCS.  Running in from the previous side they were facing a totally empty HImes Ave side.  Now they run toward a 1/2 full Dale Mabry side.

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

Yes!  I knew someone would point that out.  It's annoying there too, but they still have an entire cohesive brand/experience built around the game.  Also, fully integrated into downtown.  I think it builds a culture or vibe that USF is lacking.

Guest Jonesy Bull
10 hours ago, Rocky Style said:

I don't think that is fair though because the Lightning literally did everything they could to become the top sports team in the area.  If you are talking about recent history, the Lighting (with a new owner) went all in and renovated their stadium, hired an amazing GM, built a great core player group, and created an amazing experience.  I think they totally earned everything they are getting and downtown Tampa is 100% Lightning all the way. 

If you look at recent USF, they added a hype guy with his hat on backwards to shout at you between plays, moved the band into the student section to take up seats, and then had the team run out of the visitor fans' tunnel.   I am just saying from an integrated gameday experience, it's not on the level of the Lightning by any stretch.  Lightning games are loud and fun.  USF games can be a bit like a library where you can't get too excited or you will face retribution from the undead legacy donor hoarde.  

My point was not unfair.  I dont disagree with anything you said.  In fact you just made my point for me.

You have to give the Tampa Bay area a reason to want to go to games....in has to be the "IN" thing to do.  The Lightning are IN thing for all the reasons you mentioned.

USF football was the IN thing for a short time in the 2007 era.  It could be again but its going to take alot of work and alot of things will have to go right for us.....winning big games and a very positive in game experience would be a great place to start.

23 minutes ago, Rocky Style said:

Yes!  I knew someone would point that out.  It's annoying there too, but they still have an entire cohesive brand/experience built around the game.  Also, fully integrated into downtown.  I think it builds a culture or vibe that USF is lacking.

And we did hire that company to improve things - at least at SunDome events.  Not sure if they are helping with football.

Guest Jonesy Bull

I dont like that is the way my home town community has become.  Id like to see a more united community (i.e Rays situation) that supports their teams no matter what like they do in the Midwest and Northeast.....but it is what it is I suppose.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

As far as moving the band, weren't there complaints that they couldn't be heard in some areas of the stadium so this may help that (although mic'ing band could help, too) .... and I'm trying to remember but don't some other schools put their band in then zone ..... lastly, I'm good with anything to get, and keep, the student section as full as possible, as long as possible.

Two possible reasons I thought I heard for the new team entrance. The "new" dressing room makes it better there .... better to have team run on facing the side with actual fans in it.

Why even have a hype guy? It’s so f’n lame to began with. This is CFB...not arena league crap...

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

10 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Why even have a hype guy? It’s so f’n lame to began with. This is CFB...not arena league crap...

Old marketing folks thing that youngsters need a hype man.

1 hour ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Old marketing folks thing that youngsters need a hype man.

Maybe if we stream the hype man on their cell phones.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

17 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

Maybe if we stream the hype man on their cell phones.

Or allow taking pictures of self in front of hype man to tweet out #soblessed