• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF MBB OOC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,921
  • Days Won:  33

On 6/13/2019 at 8:54 PM, Friscobull said:

Drexel does not really excite, not Stetson or FAMU bit still a collective yawn.  However, Unlike football, don’t really need much of an OOC anyways.

I certainly wasn't referring to Drexel

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Just beat ucf....yes in basketball 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

14 hours ago, &rew Bull said:

I had a dream that the Gators were on this schedule. Is that enough for us to write it in as fact?

The Gators will not be on the schedule, nor will any SEC team because the Bulls' average RPI ranking over the  past three years is higher than 175.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

We need to see a real increase in OOC opponent quality. This past season's schedule was Charmin soft, but that was by design and I supported the decision to keep the level of difficulty down. The team developed and came together and we were better for it. We actually have a chance for an at-large berth in this year's tournament, but OOC schedule will play a large part in determining our fate. 

I hope we see 3 to 5 truly challenging games on the OOC slate. Drexel, unfortunately, doesn't fit the bill, coming off a NET ranking of 235 last season. The potential match-ups at the Cayman Islands Classic COULD allow for some quality wins (NET Rankings for the Field: NMSU (46), Nebraska (51), ODU (101), Loyola-Chicago (131), George Mason (154), Colorado St. (193), Wash. St. (202)). For reference, we finished with an NET of 83 last season. I hope we can get on the road and play a couple of teams like NC State and Ole Miss. That would present the opportunity to improve our resume in the event we don't win the AAC Tourney. Hopefully, BG and MK are using their contacts to land us a few high profile opportunities. 

Edited by BullyPulpit

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

We need to see a real increase in OOC opponent quality. This past season's schedule was Charmin soft, but that was by design and I supported the decision to keep the level of difficulty down. The team developed and came together and we were better for it. We actually have a chance for an at-large berth in this year's tournament, but OOC schedule will play a large part in determining our fate. 

I hope we see 3 to 5 truly challenging games on the OOC slate. Drexel, unfortunately, doesn't fit the bill, coming off a NET ranking of 235 last season. The potential match-ups at the Cayman Islands Classic COULD allow for some quality wins (NET Rankings for the Field: NMSU (46), Nebraska (51), ODU (101), Loyola-Chicago (131), George Mason (154), Colorado St. (193), Wash. St. (202)). For reference, we finished with an NET of 83 last season. I hope we can get on the road and play a couple of teams like NC State and Ole Miss. That would present the opportunity to improve our resume in the event we don't win the AAC Tourney. Hopefully, BG and MK are using their contacts to land us a few high profile opportunities. 

Meh, non factor ...... we're winning the *******AAC tourney this year.

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

Last season's OOC schedule wasn't exactly soft by design. There were games that prior to Brian Gregory's arrival USF had contractually agreed to play and were not in a position to pay the buyout to get out of those games. We will see a better OOC schedule this season, but with some conferences moving to 20 game conference schedules and the SEC having a RPI cutoff, OOC scheduling has become more complicated.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  168

25 minutes ago, Basketball Jones said:

Last season's OOC schedule wasn't exactly soft by design. There were games that prior to Brian Gregory's arrival USF had contractually agreed to play and were not in a position to pay the buyout to get out of those games. We will see a better OOC schedule this season, but with some conferences moving to 20 game conference schedules and the SEC having a RPI cutoff, OOC scheduling has become more complicated.

Actually before Gregory got hear, those were all that could have been losses for us.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, BullyPulpit said:

36 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Meh, non factor ...... we're winning the *******AAC tourney this year.

Meh.  I don’t really think non-con is that big of a deal when you get to play Memphis, Temple, Wichita State, Cincinnati and  Houston (in basketball).

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,472
  • Days Won:  35

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Meh.  I don’t really think non-con is that big of a deal when you get to play Memphis, Temple, Wichita State, Cincinnati and  Houston (in basketball).

Playing better teams OOC prepares you for those conference games. Any chance at tier 1 victories should be embraced. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

Actually, I don’t disagree with your original comment - there should be some tougher games early.  In fact, the Caymans should provide some good games.  I think there should be tough games in early season to prepare for the conference.  I just don’t think they necessarily have to be “P5” or “Bluebloods” to be good in this sport.  And it won’t be playing those teams that draws fans.  I probably should have read your comment before commenting.  I’m unfortunately on some type of caffeine trip mixed with Black Butte Porter that is causing me to type prematurely.