• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

USF MBB OOC

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Meh.  I don’t really think non-con is that big of a deal when you get to play Memphis, Temple, Wichita State, Cincinnati and  Houston (in basketball).

Playing better OOC teams helps prepare your team for conference play.

Also, the NCAA Tournament Committee definitely considers OOC schedule when making decisions on bubble teams. It is difficult to get into the tournament if you are 0-6 in Quad 1 games and 2-5 in Quad 2 games. So it is great that USF gets to play Memphis, Temple, Wichita State, Cincinnati and  Houston but USF needs to win more of those games to get into the NCAA tournament conversation.

Year 3 under Gregory the team needs some quad 1 wins and fewer quad 4 games. Hopefully the OOC schedule doesn't include any teams whose NCAA NET ranking was worse than 299 last season.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

16 minutes ago, Basketball Jones said:

So it is great that USF gets to play Memphis, Temple, Wichita State, Cincinnati and  Houston but USF needs to win more of those games to get into the NCAA tournament conversation.

When those games and the OOCs become less significant.

1 hour ago, Brad said:

When those games and the OOCs become less significant.

Well, technically you could mail it in and go winless in the regular season, win the conference tournament and lock up the NCAA Tournament automatic bid. 

But the fan base would shrink even more, your program would lose a ton of money because your arena would be virtually empty for every home game and that would kind of suck.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

59 minutes ago, Basketball Jones said:

Well, technically you could mail it in and go winless in the regular season, win the conference tournament and lock up the NCAA Tournament automatic bid. 

But the fan base would shrink even more, your program would lose a ton of money because your arena would be virtually empty for every home game and that would kind of suck.

Kind of a ridiculous scenario ...... but I'm not sure there would be a ton of money lost even if it came to pass. My guess is that the game day revenue isn't near a ton to begin with because I'm assuming the bulk of the program's revenue comes from season tickets, advertising, etc and those wouldn't be affected looking at a single season.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

11 hours ago, Brad said:

Actually, I don’t disagree with your original comment - there should be some tougher games early.  In fact, the Caymans should provide some good games.  I think there should be tough games in early season to prepare for the conference.  I just don’t think they necessarily have to be “P5” or “Bluebloods” to be good in this sport.  And it won’t be playing those teams that draws fans.  I probably should have read your comment before commenting.  I’m unfortunately on some type of caffeine trip mixed with Black Butte Porter that is causing me to type prematurely.

I agree that they don't have to be P5 teams to improve SOS. However, I think it is a safer bet that a team from the ACC or SEC is more likely to have a better NET even in a down season. You can't project exactly how good a team will be each year, but even a 15-15 NC State team on road will be at worst a Tier 2 win possibility. A perceived good team from the America East or C- USA doesn't provide that same certainty. 

15 hours ago, Triple B said:

Kind of a ridiculous scenario ...... 

I was being ridiculous on purpose because it's ridiculous to me that some people don't see why a good OOC schedule is important. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,605
  • Content Count:  74,216
  • Days Won:  422

5 minutes ago, Basketball Jones said:

I was being ridiculous on purpose because it's ridiculous to me that some people don't see why a good OOC schedule is important. 

I do agree with that but you need to look at the games Brad was referring to winning in the post you responded to. You win those games and the ooc sched does become less significant, which is all he said.

• Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

With the Cayman Islands Classic bracket being released our first round game will be against Loyola-Chicago. Using last season's final NET rankings (obviously not completely indicative of 2019-2020 potential performance) we would have a Quadrant 3 game against Loyola, a potential Quadrant 1 game in round 2 against NMSU, and then potentially another Quadrant 1 or Quadrant 2 game if we were to make it to the Championship. I would definitely take one of each from Qs 1, 2, and 3 in this tourney. In fact, that would probably be ideal. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

I mentioned this earlier, these would be good games.  NM State has been very good for a while.  These games come after nearly a month of other non-con play.  There will be some other good teams sprinkled in, but the casual fan shouldn’t think we need to schedule Duke or Virginia to prove anything.

On 6/19/2019 at 3:24 PM, Triple B said:

I do agree with that but you need to look at the games Brad was referring to winning in the post you responded to. You win those games and the ooc sched does become less significant, which is all he said.

If you win those games but have a crappy OOC schedule then you could end up with a No. 9 seed or worse like the First Four in Dayton (and yes USF did well there before but the odds of advancing past there aren't good and the casual fan doesn't even consider that the Tournament. The casual fan calls it the 'play in game'). Better OOC schedule, provided you win those games, leads to better seeding along with the conference wins he mentioned.