• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF MBB OOC

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Playing for seeding is different than playing for admission to the Big Dance.  I think we can all agree a schedule against the best teams is great if you can beat them.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

53 minutes ago, Brad said:

Playing for seeding is different than playing for admission to the Big Dance.  I think we can all agree a schedule against the best teams is great if you can beat them.

You are correct, and this year's Temple squad showed us a path to the tournament without an overly daunting OOC schedule. They were one of the last 4 teams to make the field. They were 23-10 overall and 13-6 in the AAC. They only played 3 OOC games against teams with an RPI of 100 or less. They went 1-2 in those games, losing to VCU and at Villanova and beating Davidson. They were only 2-6 in Q1 games, with the victory over Houston carrying a LOT of weight. They were, however, 6-2 against Q2 and 15-1 against Q3/4, with the only loss to an "ok" Pennsylvania team. In total, they only played 6 games against teams that made the tournament, compiling a 2-4 record in those match-ups. Their wins over Houston and UCF went a long way in getting them into the Big Dance. 

The template laid out by Temple has really no margin for error. Had they lost either game to us (probably should have lost both of them), or any other "mediocre" or "bad" AAC squad, they wouldn't have been dancing. We could afford 1 non-conference loss to a middling (100 to 130) type of team, but that would be it. All other losses could only come against "quality" opponents in OOC play. Potentially, a loss to a team ranked #30 to 40 on the road wouldn't hurt us, but a win over a team like that could be the difference maker in getting us into the tournament. Also, the more games you have against teams in the 100 to 200 range, the more opportunities you have to suffer what could be viewed as a bad loss. I just don't want one or two "off nights" keeping this year's squad from dancing. 

Edited by BullyPulpit

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

4 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I have the over/under on the number of P5 schools (plus Big East) we schedule in the non-conference at 2.5.

If I was a betting man, I'd take the over with some unofficial things I've heard .....

Spoiler

Boston College and FSU will be on the schedule

Guest Jonesy Bull
23 hours ago, Triple B said:

If I was a betting man, I'd take the over with some unofficial things I've heard .....

Hide contents

Boston College and FSU will be on the schedule

Having fsu on the schedule would be great.....back in the day we had them and Florida scheduled on the regular.  But thats been a while.

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

Gonna be squeezed out?

41 minutes ago, Brad said:

Gonna be squeezed out?

Could this actually bode well for us if we've finally gotten our **** together? The P5's may be more selective now with fewer ooc games and not pad that part of the season with too much fluff?

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

13 hours ago, Triple B said:

Could this actually bode well for us if we've finally gotten our **** together? The P5's may be more selective now with fewer ooc games and not pad that part of the season with too much fluff?

It is having the opposite affect. With fewer OOC games the P5 programs are less interested in scheduling a home-and-away series because they need home games for their season ticket holders.

3 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

It is having the opposite affect. With fewer OOC games the P5 programs are less interested in scheduling a home-and-away series because they need home games for their season ticket holders.

Ah, hadn’t thought about that aspect of it ...... but, wouldn’t we still be more attractive for a pay game than those lower ranked teams? 

• Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

8 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Ah, hadn’t thought about that aspect of it ...... but, wouldn’t we still be more attractive for a pay game than those lower ranked teams? 

USF is an improving program so I don't know how many P5 teams want them as a buy game. 

2 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

USF is an improving program so I don't know how many P5 teams want them as a buy game. 

OOC SOS?