• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some may wonder why we entered the CBI...here is the answer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  40
  • Content Count:  1,241
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, usfgrad84 said:

Money loser on the surface and in the short run. If the extra playing experience, learning how to win meaningful games and confidence going in to next year translates to bigger crowds, bigger wins, attracting better recruits in the future it could turn out to be a worthy investment. Too early to tell. 

If I recall correctly, the ladies run of successful tourney appearances was preceded by a WNIT appearance in the championship game? Was it a win. I don't remember, but it was the last building block in their recent success.

Maybe not an exact comparison, but it may turn out to be a great investment for the future of the program. 

Yes our ladies won the nit 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

2 hours ago, usfgrad84 said:

Money loser on the surface and in the short run. If the extra playing experience, learning how to win meaningful games and confidence going in to next year translates to bigger crowds, bigger wins, attracting better recruits in the future it could turn out to be a worthy investment. Too early to tell. 

If I recall correctly, the ladies run of successful tourney appearances was preceded by a WNIT appearance in the championship game? Was it a win. I don't remember, but it was the last building block in their recent success.

Maybe not an exact comparison, but it may turn out to be a great investment for the future of the program. 

Bigger crowds are going to be tough because there's just a demographic tsunami happening. Younger people just aren't into watching athletics the way they were a generation(s) ago. Winning helps but it doesn't help as much as you think.

What we are seeing now is probably the new normal. The homogeneous demographic of the old land grant universities that built an alumni that is rabid about their school's athletics is a thing of the past. You may see non P5 schools making some very hard athletics decisions in the future.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

14 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Bigger crowds are going to be tough because there's just a demographic tsunami happening. Younger people just aren't into watching athletics the way they were a generation(s) ago. Winning helps but it doesn't help as much as you think.

What we are seeing now is probably the new normal. The homogeneous demographic of the old land grant universities that built an alumni that is rabid about their school's athletics is a thing of the past. You may see non P5 schools making some very hard athletics decisions in the future.

I agree, it’s all about tv and internet now. The blue bloods will still get their fans but if people think we are going to get 50k a game by moving into the Big12 they are delusional. Yes there may be a game or two but for the most part it will be @ 38k...and what we did in the BE is non applicable that was an ice age ago in terms of demographic interest in sporting events. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I agree, it’s all about tv and internet now. The blue bloods will still get people but if Poole think we are going to get 50k a game by moving into the Big12 they are delusional. Yes there may be a game or two but for the most part it will be @ 38k...and what we did in the BE is non applicable that was an ice age ago in terms of demographic interest in sporting events. 

Losing the G6 Mark of Cain would help but the times, they are a changing. My step-daughter works for Disney, Roger Goodell came to see them and met with them to talk about ideas on how to maintain/increase in person attendance. I've even seen the prognosticators on tv talking about a future where games are played in very small venues, or venues with no spectators solely for a tv/internet audience.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

4 minutes ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

Losing the G6 Mark of Cain would help but the times, they are a changing. My step-daughter works for Disney, Roger Goodell came to see them and met with them to talk about ideas on how to maintain/increase in person attendance. I've even seen the prognosticators on tv talking about a future where games are played in very small venues, or venues with no spectators solely for a tv/internet audience.

I think it will get worse too. Would a kid rather spend the evening playing fortnight or go to college sporting event? I think the prior will be chosen in most instances. Hell, look at this board and it’s membership. I venture say the average age is in the mid thirty’s. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull

Just now, NewEnglandBull said:

I think it will get worse too. Would a kid rather spend the evening playing fortnight or go to college sporting event? I think the prior will be chosen in most instances. Hell, look at this board and it’s membership. I venture say the average age is in the mid thirty’s. 

The average age may be higher.

I can understand, the kid can actually engage in an activity or watch an activity. Fortnite is actually very social, people stream it and they have real communities built. But this is rapidly getting off topic and I don't want this to be the first subject ever to wander wildly off topic on the Bullspen.

As for extra practices, I know I was crying for them for football in the very bad years but I honestly cannot see if they have made any difference since we started getting back in bowls.

Right now for me, these are very very expensive games to give the players "big game" experience. Maybe it will help make those close games we lost this year turn into wins next year. Other than that, I don't think it nudges the needle for interest, recruiting or anything else.

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

USF is not losing financially playing these games. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

4 hours ago, George Jenkins said:

Same, and I probably wont even make it to half the games.

They're easy to transfer so hopefully you can find some Bulls' butts for the seats you can't use ...

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  442
  • Days Won:  0

My God , we are a major research university, if we can't afford this piddly amount to reward these student athletes for bringing men's basketball back from the dead, then why even have an athletic program? And furthermore when we join a Power 5 conference we won't just draw from students and alumni we will draw from football fans from across the Tampa Bay area and beyond. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,090
  • Days Won:  469

17 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Actually I said the tourney was worth it ONLY if we get out of the first round....you’re welcome...

Sort of like buying a lottery ticket, worth it if you win.