• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some may wonder why we entered the CBI...here is the answer

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,609
  • Content Count:  74,460
  • Days Won:  422

50 minutes ago, macphisto said:

There's been a lot of back and forth since last year with the Lightning.  They have expressed to USF the need to update the Control Room, the boards, and the entire video system inside the Yuengling Center, but USF has been reluctant to commit to it and raise funds for it.  It'll probably cost about $20M to do it all right

I can well imagine why USF is reluctant at this point. They're in the middle of raising funds for something else needed, something in a lot more popular sport in the USF community than hoops, and that hasn't exactly been a slam dunk, to use a cross sport reference. If the moneys needed for the  improvements to the YC are going to fall primarily on the fan base, I'll just be prepared to go with the status quo for a lot longer ...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  66
  • Content Count:  399
  • Days Won:  0

On 3/30/2019 at 2:38 PM, TRUTH D. Antagonist said:

I think MBB went from non-existence to on the radar. 

is it generating big bucks now? no.

but it takes time to get dedicated butts into seats for multiple games instead of a few dozen newly interested fans (like me) who just rediscovered MBB for the first time since 2012 & popped up on campus for a game or two this year.

i know I will definitely be back for more games next year & I think u have at least a dozen (or two) on this board alone that will be attending more games next season than they did this season.

go Bulls 

I don't know how on the radar it is. Most basketball fans do not pay attention to the CBI. Hell only the finals are televised. Someone told me that North Texas won the CBI last year, I had no idea and I probably watch more college basketball than I should. Even in the press conference videos that I post it sounds like maybe 4 people are there and almost never anyone one from a Tampa TV station. I would love for this program to become relevant and get back to the NCAA Tournament again.

Guest Jonesy Bull
1 hour ago, Basketball Jones said:

I don't know how on the radar it is. Most basketball fans do not pay attention to the CBI. Hell only the finals are televised. Someone told me that North Texas won the CBI last year, I had no idea and I probably watch more college basketball than I should. Even in the press conference videos that I post it sounds like maybe 4 people are there and almost never anyone one from a Tampa TV station. I would love for this program to become relevant and get back to the NCAA Tournament again.

I agree its not much on the radar in the big scheme of things. 

As has been discussed previously, the CBI was probably the right move for "this" team at "this" time.  Now in hindsight being in the Finals, most people would agree was definately the right move for the development of this team and what CBG is trying to build.

I dont think most of us want to see this CBI thing being a regular thing....the big hope is that this is a stepping stone for greater things next year and beyond.

Since we are in it now, lets just win the **** thing.  We arent in a position to pass up potential trophies.

3 hours ago, Basketball Jones said:

I don't know how on the radar it is. Most basketball fans do not pay attention to the CBI.

A national broadcast of a game in April puts it on the very furthest outer edge of the radar screen ..... but still there.

• Topic Count:  1,984
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  139

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

I can well imagine why USF is reluctant at this point. They're in the middle of raising funds for something else needed, something in a lot more popular sport in the USF community than hoops, and that hasn't exactly been a slam dunk, to use a cross sport reference. If the moneys needed for the  improvements to the YC are going to fall primarily on the fan base, I'll just be prepared to go with the status quo for a lot longer ...

Is the YC still owned/operated by a third party- I think it was when it was the Sun Dome. That could be part of the problem.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

14 hours ago, macphisto said:

There's been a lot of back and forth since last year with the Lightning.  They have expressed to USF the need to update the Control Room, the boards, and the entire video system inside the Yuengling Center, but USF has been reluctant to commit to it and raise funds for it.  It'll probably cost about $20M to do it all right and the people at the Lightning has told them at this point it is better to future proof and install 4K boards and 4K screens on the concourse.  

The people over at the Lightning production are very willing to help USF create a world class show for all events at Yuengling and are interested in helping with football as well.  The Lightning are also happy to help with cross promotion. They would LOVE to see USF basketball get built up on the men's and women's side.

They have been helping in limited ways since 2017 but they are willing to take it to the next level.  USF just has to commit to it.  The Lightning as an org may also be happy to contribute to a stadium fund.  They actually are interested in a potential USF stadium for an outdoor hockey game.  They are less interested in RayJay, but their relationship with the Bucs is cordial at best.  The teams in this area are not huge fans of one another.  That's not uncommon in cities due to competition, but some places have teams that get along great (Cleveland is like this).  

The Lightning are happy to be a partner with USF.  And if USF gets its act together, there are a lot of sponsors that would be happy to throw money at them - I know of several.  But USF has to work to move up the pecking order.  It takes investment, but it could pay huge dividends down the line.

This is a very interesting post.  The Lightning (or the company formed to manage the Yuengling Ceter) is telling USF to spend money.  The Lightning get a big chunk of any naming rights and advertising.

Why would the Lightning LOVE to see USF basketball get built up?

If the Lightning "may be happy to contribute to a stadium fund", let them write a check for the IPF and get that built which would clear the way for an OCS.  

The Lightning are happy to partner with USF because they make money if we succeed and advertising and naming rights would increase.

I know Vinik/Lightning are pretty good to USF in that they donate the suite at Amalie but I am not privy to other financial ways they are contributing to USF and Athletics in particular.  

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Why would the Lightning LOVE to see USF basketball get built up?

Didn't you answer your own question with this: "The Lightning are happy to partner with USF because they make money if we succeed and advertising and naming rights would increase."

As far as other financial ways Vinik/Lightning are contributing to USF .... Vinik/USF

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

4 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Didn't you answer your own question with this: "The Lightning are happy to partner with USF because they make money if we succeed and advertising and naming rights would increase."

As far as other financial ways Vinik/Lightning are contributing to USF .... Vinik/USF

Exactly.  There is no philanthropic reason. All financial.

That is the Business School.  And I'm not hating on Vinik and think he has been great for the city and USF.  But the original poster would have us believe that the Lightning want to do this stuff out of the goodness of their heart.  It's business.  

8 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Exactly.  There is no philanthropic reason. All financial.

That is the Business School.  And I'm not hating on Vinik and think he has been great for the city and USF.  But the original poster would have us believe that the Lightning want to do this stuff out of the goodness of their heart.  It's business.  

I get that it's not totally out of the goodness of their heart but the only way you apparently were aware of them being "pretty good to USF" was a suite donation when there is obviously lots more .... and as far as it just being business, I'm guessing that there's tons more opportunities out there for a lot better ROI than investing in USF basketball.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  488
  • Content Count:  12,454
  • Days Won:  25

12 hours ago, MikeG said:

Is the YC still owned/operated by a third party- I think it was when it was the Sun Dome. That could be part of the problem.

Tampa Bay Entertainment Properties, a subsidiary of Vinik Enterprises, LLC, took over management of the facility in July of 2017, and brought D.G. Yuengling and Sons on as entitlement partner in June of 2018. Primary tenants of the Yuengling Center include The University of South Florida Men's and Women's Basketball teams, and the USF Volleyball team.    

https://gousfbulls.com/news/2018/6/12/general-sun-dome-to-become-yuengling-center-on-july-1.aspx