• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some may wonder why we entered the CBI...here is the answer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

Exactly.  There is no philanthropic reason. All financial.

That is the Business School.  And I'm not hating on Vinik and think he has been great for the city and USF.  But the original poster would have us believe that the Lightning want to do this stuff out of the goodness of their heart.  It's business.  

Might be better that it is just financial.  That means they see potential. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

What exactly does the Lightening do for the athletic department? Is there a relationship there????

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  33

12 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

What exactly does the Lightening do for the athletic department? Is there a relationship there????

Yes, there is a relationship. The Tampa Bay Entertainment Properties group runs the Yuengling Center.

1 hour ago, John Lewis said:

Yes, there is a relationship. The Tampa Bay Entertainment Properties group runs the Yuengling Center.

oh ok...so they are simply the management arm of the complex...that makes sense. 

• Content Count:  2,895
  • Days Won:  33

1 minute ago, NewEnglandBull said:

oh ok...so they are simply the management arm of the complex...that makes sense. 

They do more than that.

I just wanted to let you know that there is a relationship with Athletics.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

3 hours ago, BDYZR said:

Tampa Bay Entertainment Properties, a subsidiary of Vinik Enterprises, LLC, took over management of the facility in July of 2017, and brought D.G. Yuengling and Sons on as entitlement partner in June of 2018. Primary tenants of the Yuengling Center include The University of South Florida Men's and Women's Basketball teams, and the USF Volleyball team.    

https://gousfbulls.com/news/2018/6/12/general-sun-dome-to-become-yuengling-center-on-july-1.aspx

And the company gets about 1/3 of that IIRC.

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

On 3/29/2019 at 8:22 AM, usfgrad84 said:

If I recall correctly, the ladies run of successful tourney appearances was preceded by a WNIT appearance in the championship game? Was it a win. I don't remember, but it was the last building block in their recent success.

Yes they won the 2009 WNIT,  but the last building block!  LOL.  BTW, what real success did they have in their NCAA Tourney appearances?

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

5 hours ago, MikeG said:

On an unrelated note......

Back in my undergrad days, I recall we played intramural basketball in the old Sun Dome (they retracted the seating in the second level areas. Is that still possible after the enhancements.

No!

and if so-- do students still use the area for intramurals at all?  

Don’t know for sure, but isn’t that what the Rec Center is for?

This was way back in the late 1980s. Subsequent games I went to seemed like they were in the new building that housed the gym. Seems like forever since I was at that facility as well-- maybe for a volleyball game or two.

Volleyball is played in The Corral which is attached to the west side of the Ying-a-ling Center.

• Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

Not really caring about the Lightning org's motivation, just care that they're interested in helping us do what it takes to reach the next level. I agree with a prior poster that advice from the group that has helped elevate the Lightning's status so high is something USF can't ignore, and I'd love to see us invest in their top 3 ideas, to start. It doesn't initially have to be all or nothing--handle it in phases and see how it works out.

As to the "why" OP, that vid's a good summary. We do this to build the program and garner interest from fans & recruits. If we did nothing post-season, we definitely finish losers. Now they have a little momentum and a resume builder, and if they win, even more so.

32 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Not really caring about the Lightning org's motivation, just care that they're interested in helping us do what it takes to reach the next level. I agree with a prior poster that advice from the group that has helped elevate the Lightning's status so high is something USF can't ignore, and I'd love to see us invest in their top 3 ideas, to start. It doesn't initially have to be all or nothing--handle it in phases and see how it works out.

As to the "why" OP, that vid's a good summary. We do this to build the program and garner interest from fans & recruits. If we did nothing post-season, we definitely finish losers. Now they have a little momentum and a resume builder, and if they win, even more so.

Don’t kid yourself though...it helps to win and play for championships. I suspect if the Lightning were playing like the Panthers people may have a different perspective on transferring the management of their team to a completely different environment like college sports. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull