• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Some may wonder why we entered the CBI...here is the answer

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

40 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

New management group running the venue and $$$ are the only things I'm basing my opinion upon.  

If the tale has gotten around they may get bids from everyone, but they all might submit higher bids to allow for a change like that at the last second.  The story is pretty well known in sports production circles, fyi.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,509
  • Days Won:  422

3 hours ago, macphisto said:

They may.  They may not.  Hard to say.  I just heard the Dak side.

How many other viable options are out there besides Dak?

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,204
  • Days Won:  0

On 4/4/2019 at 5:24 PM, Triple B said:

How many other viable options are out there besides Dak?

There are many, though it's not a huge industry so word gets around.  Dak is one of the bigger names, but you can deal with Samsung, Panasonic, ANC Sports, etc.  There are some less expensive options like Nevco out there as well.  

Dak is known for their support and ability to customize.  Generally when you get a board from Dak they also provide graphics packages for a few years.  That can be a large expense.  The Bucs got two years worth of graphics packages with their new boards before they went to an outside shop for a graphics package last year (I think they spent about $80K on their package last year, but that's a guess.  I know they had Famous Productions work on it).  

When you consider a center hung, you also have to consider the entire scoreboard system and how it functions.  Dak has a very straightforward scoring system that clubs like because of how it can easily integrate into the overlay system for scoring (usually Xpressions or Crossfire nowadays - more and more Xpressions), so that's a consideration as well.

For an arena you need the scoring system that can allow you to integrate players scores, team scores, and statistics into the board while relaying that info to traditional LED scoreboards and possible LED ribbon panels.  This is usually done via XML output, but the system used is very important.

The pro system most similar to the setup that USF runs was done by ANC Sports for the Cavaliers up in Cleveland.  It has a massive center hung (which we wouldn't need) with four corner screens that show player stats live.  UF has an ANC system for an arena layout very similar to ours.  Though I don't believe they have the corner stat screens.  

To really monetize the display, you'd want a center hung with LED ribbon installs.  Not going to get a full wraparound due to design.

On top of that, you have to have a modern control room.  That probably means a new switcher, new amp system, and possibly a new fiber run.  These things are expensive, but they also make the arena more palatable for sporting events and other events.  

That's part of the Lightning's interest as well beyond sports.  Upgrades to the overall facility will allow them to book more mid-tier acts.  They will  make money there, but so will USF.  They want it to do well with USF sports, but also want it to have even more concerts and other events and they have a lot of mid-tier bookings they could make with more overall updates.

One thing to consider on those LED ribbons is that when concert events are held, it gives sponsors an opportunity to broaden their audience so sponsorship can charge more and the school can make more.

For instance, if the school creates a strong enough brand that can resonate in the area, USF could have a bidding war between TGH, Advent, and Baycare for who becomes the official healthcare provider of USF Athletics.  I know how much Advent gives the Lightning and the Bucs and I know how they determine where to spend money.  

What the Lightning pitch is that these cost PAY for themselves long term as you can attract more sponsors at higher prices.  They can also help make the arena more attractive for events and make it more attractive for broadcast - which leads into other events. 

As I said above, the Lightning absolutely want to make more money.  But the arrangement with USF means that as they make more money, so does USF.  I believe the Lightning's share decreases in size percentage wise as the revenue grows.  The deal was designed to encourage USF to grow their athletics and arena infrastructure.  

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 hours ago, macphisto said:

There are many, though it's not a huge industry so word gets around.  Dak is one of the bigger names, but you can deal with Samsung, Panasonic, ANC Sports, etc.  There are some less expensive options like Nevco out there as well.  

Dak is known for their support and ability to customize.  Generally when you get a board from Dak they also provide graphics packages for a few years.  That can be a large expense.  The Bucs got two years worth of graphics packages with their new boards before they went to an outside shop for a graphics package last year (I think they spent about $80K on their package last year, but that's a guess.  I know they had Famous Productions work on it).  

When you consider a center hung, you also have to consider the entire scoreboard system and how it functions.  Dak has a very straightforward scoring system that clubs like because of how it can easily integrate into the overlay system for scoring (usually Xpressions or Crossfire nowadays - more and more Xpressions), so that's a consideration as well.

For an arena you need the scoring system that can allow you to integrate players scores, team scores, and statistics into the board while relaying that info to traditional LED scoreboards and possible LED ribbon panels.  This is usually done via XML output, but the system used is very important.

The pro system most similar to the setup that USF runs was done by ANC Sports for the Cavaliers up in Cleveland.  It has a massive center hung (which we wouldn't need) with four corner screens that show player stats live.  UF has an ANC system for an arena layout very similar to ours.  Though I don't believe they have the corner stat screens.  

To really monetize the display, you'd want a center hung with LED ribbon installs.  Not going to get a full wraparound due to design.

On top of that, you have to have a modern control room.  That probably means a new switcher, new amp system, and possibly a new fiber run.  These things are expensive, but they also make the arena more palatable for sporting events and other events.  

That's part of the Lightning's interest as well beyond sports.  Upgrades to the overall facility will allow them to book more mid-tier acts.  They will  make money there, but so will USF.  They want it to do well with USF sports, but also want it to have even more concerts and other events and they have a lot of mid-tier bookings they could make with more overall updates.

One thing to consider on those LED ribbons is that when concert events are held, it gives sponsors an opportunity to broaden their audience so sponsorship can charge more and the school can make more.

For instance, if the school creates a strong enough brand that can resonate in the area, USF could have a bidding war between TGH, Advent, and Baycare for who becomes the official healthcare provider of USF Athletics.  I know how much Advent gives the Lightning and the Bucs and I know how they determine where to spend money.  

What the Lightning pitch is that these cost PAY for themselves long term as you can attract more sponsors at higher prices.  They can also help make the arena more attractive for events and make it more attractive for broadcast - which leads into other events. 

As I said above, the Lightning absolutely want to make more money.  But the arrangement with USF means that as they make more money, so does USF.  I believe the Lightning's share decreases in size percentage wise as the revenue grows.  The deal was designed to encourage USF to grow their athletics and arena infrastructure.  

Hey all I am asking is for something from Jerry World...😂