• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why was the home UF game moved up 2 years?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

In doing some research online, I found that the current lease with Raymond James Stadium expires following the 2022 football season. Our series with UF was set to begin 2022 in Gainesville, with a 2023 Ray Jay home game, and then a 2025 return to Gainesville. Shortly after the deal was announced, the two Universities decided to move the game at Ray Jay up 2 years to 2021. I'm not saying this to definitively suggest that an OCS is in the works, but I do think the move was done to give USF the flexibility/option to move forward with the construction of an OCS without UF sacrificing what will essentially be a neutral site game at Ray Jay. I don't recall a reason ever being publicly given for the switch. The only quotes I can find are VPA Kelly thanking UF for their flexibility in the scheduling process. 

USF's lease agreement calls for a 24 month termination notice, meaning that we would have to advise the Tampa Sports Authority of our decision not to renew the lease (there is a 5 year renewal option after the original 6 year term) by no later than December 2020. Coincidentally, Colorado State's Stadium, which is what USF is modeling a potential OCS after, took 22.5 months to complete, which would fall right within the 24 month window that USF has to cancel the lease with the TSA. Let the speculation percolate. 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,518
  • Days Won:  28

1 minute ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

It was done to be an in your face to UCF!

This lol And I think it's funny as hell. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,632
  • Days Won:  6

1 minute ago, Gatorbull325 said:

This lol And I think it's funny as hell. 

But proably accurate.  Me thinks VPAK is doing a great job.

• Topic Count:  85
  • Content Count:  3,801
  • Days Won:  0

OCS? We haven’t even funded the IPF.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

7 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

In doing some research online, I found that the current lease with Raymond James Stadium expires following the 2022 football season. Our series with UF was set to begin 2022 in Gainesville, with a 2023 Ray Jay home game, and then a 2025 return to Gainesville. Shortly after the deal was announced, the two Universities decided to move the game at Ray Jay up 2 years to 2021. I'm not saying this to definitively suggest that an OCS is in the works, but I do think the move was done to give USF the flexibility/option to move forward with the construction of an OCS without UF sacrificing what will essentially be a neutral site game at Ray Jay. I don't recall a reason ever being publicly given for the switch. The only quotes I can find are VPA Kelly thanking UF for their flexibility in the scheduling process. 

USF's lease agreement calls for a 24 month termination notice, meaning that we would have to advise the Tampa Sports Authority of our decision not to renew the lease (there is a 5 year renewal option after the original 6 year term) by no later than December 2020. Coincidentally, Colorado State's Stadium, which is what USF is modeling a potential OCS after, took 22.5 months to complete, which would fall right within the 24 month window that USF has to cancel the lease with the TSA. Let the speculation percolate. 

What’s the opposite of percolate? That drawing is the closest we’re going to be to an OCS for the next decade, at least.

1 minute ago, 79 Bull said:

But proably accurate.  Me thinks VPAK is doing a great job.

I don't think they moved it just to goad UCF. The goading was just an added bonus.

1 minute ago, Bullrush33 said:

OCS? We haven’t even funded the IPF.

I'm not saying it was done because an OCS is definitely in the works, I'm merely suggesting that it plays into the timeline of announcing, groundbreaking, and constructing an OCS. 

Just now, JTrue said:

What’s the opposite of percolate? That drawing is the closest we’re going to be to an OCS for the next decade, at least.

The opposite would be to put the idea on ice....which I would bet is the ultimate outcome. However, there really wasn't a reason given for the sudden change of dates, especially considering how quickly the change came after the original announcement of the series. No future series have announced by either school to fill the 2023 void. I really think it was done to keep the possibility open. Remember, we have 23 full months before a decision would have to be made. A lot can happen in 23 months.   

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  273
  • Days Won:  2

They want to play us before we recover from CCS.

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

9 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

I don't think they moved it just to goad UCF. The goading was just an added bonus.

I'm not saying it was done because an OCS is definitely in the works, I'm merely suggesting that it plays into the timeline of announcing, groundbreaking, and constructing an OCS. 

I'm pretty sure the reason is simple. It worked for both teams, filled a hole for both teams and met the needs of both teams. The in your face UCF was just a bonus, but funny. Not sure UF is helping us play 3-dimensional chess in regards to an OCS and RJS leasing.