• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Please Get Rid of Strong

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

Why is CCS the only coach that doesn't deserve "3-4 years to get his guys in place"?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  155
  • Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

17-3 is worthy of getting fired?

why doesn't EVERY coach in the AAC go 17-3?

Houston has one of the 2 best QB's in the conference & receivers that our DB's couldn't cover.

stop pretending this team is so much more talented than everybody we play. 

• Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,272
  • Days Won:  255

5 minutes ago, USFBulls727 said:

Just to summarize, his coaching might be a liability, and I'm not sold on him. How long has Major Applewhite been a head coach? That offense looked a thousand times more sophisticated than our's. Seems like a **** good coach. Same with Frost at UCF. Very good recruiter, very good coach. Huepel, we'll get a chance to see him and Strong head to head. Again, I'm far from the "Fire Charlie Strong" bandwagon right now, but some of you seem offended when anybody questions him...which is surprising.

Give me King and I will look like an offensive genius too, how many of those long QB scrambles in long yardage situations do you think were drawn up by Coach Applewhite?

• Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  960
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Thebullsfan said:

Coach Jim Leavitt.

3 hours ago, Thebullsfan said:

JIM LEAVITT SHALL RISE AGAIN

Haha, yeah, because he had such a stellar record versus Rutgers, Cincy and UCONN; who we always had more talent than. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Brad said:

Why is CCS the only coach that doesn't deserve "3-4 years to get his guys in place"?

Because CWT only bolted because he knew he had everything in place for the next guy to never lose another game for the rest of our history, he would have never left if there was any work left to do.

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,087
  • Days Won:  469

4 minutes ago, michibull said:

Haha, yeah, because he had such a stellar record versus Rutgers, Cincy and UCONN; who we always had more talent than. 

Do not agree.  At least two of them had NFL RBs.

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

I don't really like Strong.

I hate his game philosophy which seems to be overly conservative and not entertaining. For me football is something I watch for entertainment and being entertained is almost as important as winning.  A boring win makes me feel I've wasted 3 hours of my life I could have used better.

I think he's underachieving with our talent. I especially think that last year he underachieved with our talent. I think he has the fatal flaw of forcing players into a system they don't fit rather than being versatile and flexible enough to change his system to fit the players.

The penalties and slow starts and seeming lack of preparedness are also greatly concerning.

But his record is good and I can't support getting rid of him even though I don't like the product he puts on the field. For now it's overwhelmingly winning. Yes I don't like he hasn't won the important games but he's winning the majority. He should get at least one more year which I expect will be better.

I'm never going to like grinding out close games against bad opponents though and I worry that will hurt support for the team.

He may be at the level a Dell rep told me about a sales rep we complained about "Not good enough to keep, not bad enough to fire." But for now the wins are still coming.

Edited by George_Bullnard_Shaw
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

7 minutes ago, puc86 said:

You left off GT that just lost to Vtech, for some reason. Also even if we were 75 to 25 dominating favorites over every team we played thus far (we aren’t) we still would have had a probability to be 6-2 to this point. Teams lose to teams they are strongly favored over every single week.

I actually added GT on  somebody else's list of decent teams we've played earlier in this thread. 

We are still in the hunt. I'm worried about the next game. Get to UCF with one loss, and we're in business. Could happen for sure, but a CCG is unlikely. When does being 2nd, or 3rd, or 4th best in the AAC get old to you? How would you compare our play this year to Houston's? See anything different in the playcalling? How about us and UCF? I still have hope that Strong can get us there, but I also realize it is possible that Strong (or Gilbert's) playcalling may cost.us another game this year.  We NEVER come out ready. Can't get the penalties under control. That's on the coaches.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, michibull said:

If we played any of those teams from back then now they would all be seen as our biggest games of the entire year. Hell people now have UCF circled as a program defining showdown, some with out laughing have called it the biggest game we have ever had, they seriously compared it the WVU game. What was CJL’s record against UCF again? I forget.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  2,286

1 minute ago, George_Bullnard_Shaw said:

I don't really like Strong.

I hate his game philosophy which seems to be overly conservative and not entertaining

And how would you compare that with what you saw out of Houston today? They ran every play in the book. They were just putting on a show at one point in the 4th quarter, with the back to back reverses. We looked like the 1940 Bears in comparison.