• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

UCF Over Memphis...Better for Us?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,250
  • Days Won:  255

1 hour ago, JTrue said:

I assume our goals are to 1) Win the Conference and 2) finish the season with as high a ranking/most publicity possible.

So the question is, would UCF beating Memphis be better for us in achieving those goals. Absolutely.

Since these are the two things everyone is debating, an undefeated UCF vs. a 6-5 UCF on Black Friday:

Scenario a) UCF wins out until we play them. We win. Helps goal #1 and goal #2.

Scenario b) UCF loses out until we play them. We win. Helps #1 since it's a conference victory. Does nothing for goal #2.

Scenario c) UCF wins out and beats us. Certainly doesn't help goal #1. But doesn't hurt goal #2 as much.

Scenario d) UCF loses out and beats us. Goal #1 and goal #2 go down in flames. CCS becomes xCCS. TBP completely melts down. Judy leaves and we're stuck with the Meryl Lynch logo. smazza begins using punctuation. Puc posts something positive about USF. The Yankees sign Machado and Harper. 

Teams finish undefeated pretty close to never in college football so it’s probably advantageous to goal 1 that other teams in our conference lose every once and a while or else it may not matter if we beat them or not. The majority of probability models have our chances at winning out at somewhere south of 2% ( and while I may think it’s marginally higher than that I do recognize it’s a long shot) so we kind of could use a few losses of our conference foes in our back pocket. Also to number 2 there is no such thing as a quality G5 victory in the current system and it’s by design. Let’s pretend the game happened this weekend and no other teams lost but we beat UCF, how far do you reasonably think we move up in the standings? G5 teams can only move up thru attrition of P5 teams and it sometimes takes several hits to them to even do that. UCF being undefeated only helps UCF to accomplish any goals and it is never of benefit to USF and actually detracts from any goals we may hope to accomplish.

6 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

puc, help me understand this.  Do you mean that no matter how good the G5 team is that we beat, it will be discounted as a fluke, the G5 team was at a historic low, or some such?

P5 quality wins would be described as you are describing, G5 quality wins would be paper champions only rated as high as they were because they never had to face the rigors of a “real conference schedule” and everyone knew they were destined to fail as soon as they faced any adversity but were facing pressure to rate them high so as not to appear biased.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  5,368
  • Days Won:  10

news flash, Ambien can affect one's reading comprehension.  I thought that we were talking about P5 victories.  At least I don't tweet on Ambien...

3 minutes ago, Grateful Dad said:

news flash, Ambien can affect one's reading comprehension.  I thought that we were talking about P5 victories.  At least I don't tweet on Ambien...

At least you are nice and ask people to explain, I usually jump straight to preaching at people when I misread their posts. It’s a flaw I’ve grown to accept about myself. Some people try to stay zen in life and some people actively seek reasons to fly off the handle.

I have scoured the internet and the record books and was able to come up with this comprehensive list of all the times to date in any sport a UCF win has benefited USF in any regard (feel free to add to it if you find any errors):

sorry I couldn’t find any examples either 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,604
  • Days Won:  424

17 hours ago, Triple B said:

**** that ****. I want a conference championship and nothing would please me more than having the division clinched before Black Friday ...... and what help does UCF provide THIS year if we win?

7 hours ago, JTrue said:

I assume our goals are to 1) Win the Conference and 2) finish the season with as high a ranking/most publicity possible.

So the question is, would UCF beating Memphis be better for us in achieving those goals. Absolutely.

1) UCF beating Memphis has absolutely nothing to do with us winning the conference.

2) Beating an undefeated UCF over a UCF with losses would help us get a higher ranking but I agree with chapel that the difference wouldn't be enough for me to not hope they crap the bed the rest of the season ...

1 hour ago, puc86 said:

I have scoured the internet and the record books and was able to come up with this comprehensive list of all the times to date in any sport a UCF win has benefited USF in any regard (feel free to add to it if you find any errors):

sorry I couldn’t find any examples either 

I have scoured the internet and the record books and wasn't able to come up with any record of USF winning a football conference championship. That doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility. There very well may be a time in the future where a Kanigit win benefits USF ...... it's just that future doesn't include this year.

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I have scoured the internet and the record books and wasn't able to come up with any record of USF winning a football conference championship. That doesn't mean it's out of the realm of possibility. There very well may be a time in the future where a Kanigit win benefits USF ...... it's just that future doesn't include this year.

Sure at some point in some future scenario there maybe a time where UCF maybe playing a specific opponent that if they beat can have a positive effect on our championship situation but that would neither include them going undefeated nor would it include UCF wins as a good in and of themselves. As long as everyone has more losses than us and we are clearly the king of the hill I honestly won’t care much who is fighting it out below us but the number one part of that is we need to be clearly on top and securing our positions before we want others to be undefeated, making life harder for us and blurring the lines of hierarchy. 

40 minutes ago, Triple B said:

12 minutes ago, puc86 said:

Sure at some point in some future scenario there maybe a time where UCF maybe playing a specific opponent that if they beat can have a positive effect on our championship situation

And that's all I'm saying .... You have a tendency to ramble.