• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why the Dark uniforms?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  178
  • Days Won:  0

I don't understand what USF wore the dark uniforms thus allowing Georgia Tech wore all white. Earlier in the week a newspaper story mentioned that GT would wilt under our sun. I did in the stands! Sometimes small advantages make a difference. In this case it didn't. The equipment manager should have to answer.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,166
  • Days Won:  56

We've always worn green at home. I can't remember a home game when we didn't.

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,123
  • Days Won:  6

I was wondering about that myself.  I seriously don't think the equipment manager has anything to do with choosing the color the team wears.

I'm curious how it came about.  

• Topic Count:  39
  • Content Count:  2,123
  • Days Won:  6

Just now, Dave_Glaser said:

I thought the home team got to pick which jerseys they wanted to wear?

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,166
  • Days Won:  56

Just now, MMW said:

I thought the home team got to pick which jerseys they wanted to wear?

If so, we've picked green for 21 years.

• Upvote 2

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,686
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, Old_Bull said:

I don't understand what USF wore the dark uniforms thus allowing Georgia Tech wore all white. Earlier in the week a newspaper story mentioned that GT would wilt under our sun.

I doubt that observation came from a knowledgeable source .... unless the source knew they were wearing white and knew the following:

Heat is not just coming in off of the sun. It's also coming off a person's own, sweating, warm-blooded, mammalian body, which is a lot closer than the sun is. When all that body heat hits the white clothing covering it, it gets reflected right back towards the body. When we wear white, we cook ourselves.

The best color to keep cool in the heat, it turns out, is to wear black. Black absorbs everything coming in from the sun, sure. But black also absorbs energy from the body instead of reflecting it back. Now, the helpfulness of black clothes depends on finding black clothes that are the same thickness and looseness as those summery white clothes. Black clothing also needs a little help from atmospheric conditions. Once it has absorbed heat, it has to have some way to radiate it away. If there's even a little wind, black clothing is the better choice for those who want to keep cool, like goths who understandably don't like sweating through their make-up. So find something black to wear this summer.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

15 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Senior night 2017

04FC6A29-A924-4223-A237-E5B80F83A418.jpeg

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

22 minutes ago, Triple B said:

I doubt that observation came from a knowledgeable source .... unless the source knew they were wearing white and knew the following:

Heat is not just coming in off of the sun. It's also coming off a person's own, sweating, warm-blooded, mammalian body, which is a lot closer than the sun is. When all that body heat hits the white clothing covering it, it gets reflected right back towards the body. When we wear white, we cook ourselves.

The best color to keep cool in the heat, it turns out, is to wear black. Black absorbs everything coming in from the sun, sure. But black also absorbs energy from the body instead of reflecting it back. Now, the helpfulness of black clothes depends on finding black clothes that are the same thickness and looseness as those summery white clothes. Black clothing also needs a little help from atmospheric conditions. Once it has absorbed heat, it has to have some way to radiate it away. If there's even a little wind, black clothing is the better choice for those who want to keep cool, like goths who understandably don't like sweating through their make-up. So find something black to wear this summer.

We cover this every time someone brings up the heat. 

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

40 minutes ago, Old_Bull said:

I don't understand what USF wore the dark uniforms thus allowing Georgia Tech wore all white. Earlier in the week a newspaper story mentioned that GT would wilt under our sun. I did in the stands! Sometimes small advantages make a difference. In this case it didn't. The equipment manager should have to answer.

If there is a change BOTH TEAMS have to agree to it. The home team does not have absolute power to determine the uniform color. 

Edited by NewEnglandBull
  • Upvote 1