• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

FORMER USF STAR WILLIAMS SHINING FOR SUN IN HER THIRD WNBA SEASON

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

FORMER USF STAR WILLIAMS SHINING FOR SUN IN HER THIRD WNBA SEASON

June 26, 2018

By TOM ZEBOLD
USF Senior Writer

TAMPA, JUNE 26, 2018  Courtney Williams continues to make Bulls fans proud with the way she's progressing at the highest level of women's basketball.

In her third season in the WNBA, the former USF star is the third-leading scorer for the Connecticut Sun at 12.5 points per game. The versatile 5-foot-8 guard also ranks third on the team with 6.0 rebounds per game after finishing her collegiate career with the third-most boards in USF history (931).

"I never take it for granted. It's something I always wanted to do since I was little," said Williams of her flourishing WNBA career. "Sometimes it's still unbelievable to think about actually being here and playing a role on a team where I can impact it. It's an amazing feeling."

Amazing is a good way to describe what Williams accomplished earlier this month.

Facing the Washington Mystics on June 13, the highest WNBA Draft pick in USF history poured in a career-high 34 points to set the Sun's new franchise record for scoring in regulation.

"I think I just got it going," Williams said. "My teammates were getting me open and kept feeding me the ball because I had the hot hand. I was just knocking down shots. It was just one of those nights."

Williams sank four three-pointers during her game for the ages and grabbed another franchise record with 15 total made field goals. Scoring 16 points in the third quarter, Williams also helped the Sun match another franchise record by erasing a 30-point deficit to take a lead, a feat that was originally accomplished back in 2010.

"Coach is believing in me more and giving me a bigger role," said Williams, who is averaging 26.9 minutes through 13 games (all starts). "I'm just stepping up to the task."

Williams built lots of momentum for her third WNBA season by showcasing her game in the land down under in 2017-18.

In her first run with the Perth Lynx, Williams ranked second in the Women's National Basketball League with an average of 21.27 points and scored in double figures in all 22 games. Perth head coach Andy Stewart called Williams the best player in the WNBL after she scored 41 points in a win over Adelaide last December.

"It was super cool out there in Australia. I was playing with some amazing people and had an amazing coach who believed in me whole heartedly," Williams said. "He kind of just let me do what I do. That definitely reminded me of the USF days."

No matter where she is in the world, Williams said she still keeps close tabs on the Bulls and was proud to see the program make its fourth straight NCAA tournament appearance last season.

"I definitely watch and I still follow the Twitter page, so I keep up with the stats," she said. "When I can catch a game, I definitely catch a game."

Williams still ranks second on the USF career scoring chart with 2,304 points from 2012-15 and helped the Bulls start a string of six straight 20-plus win seasons.

"I definitely take pride in going to USF," she said. "I like the culture and tradition that's steadily building and growing at that program. Coach [Jose Fernandez] is doing a great job."

Continuing to represent USF well on the pro stage is important to Williams, who gets another opportunity to shine against the Washington Mystics on Tuesday night. The battle for first place in the Eastern Conference standings is set for a 7 p.m. start in Washington, D.C., and fans can watch the game online HERE.

"It's crazy, it's an amazing feeling playing on this team with our chemistry, our support for one another," said Williams of the 8-5 Sun. "Basketball is fun and playing on this team is more fun."

About USF Women's Basketball
To stay up-to-date on the latest USF women's basketball news, follow the Bulls on social media (Twitter | Facebook | Instagram).

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Any idea how much she makes? 

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,536
  • Days Won:  28

Not sure why i aleays thought she was about 5'11. Man she is short lol But happy she is still ballin. 

40 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

http://www.blackenterprise.com/wnba-salaries-nba-salaries-earn/ 

"While all ballers dream of one day playing professionally, the average WNBA rookie can expect to earn a disappointing $36,500 for the year, and WNBA players with at least three years of experience earn a minimum of $55,000 per year. Overall, the average WNBA player is paid around $72,000."

"Nneka Ogwumike, the reigning WNBA MVP, who is one of the highest paid WNBA players, earned a mere $95,000 in 2016—the maximum salary in the league."

This would suggest around 36,000.  

Edited by BrassBulls12

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  3,497
  • Days Won:  9

37 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

Odds are she make far more in Australia, than in the WNBA.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

7 minutes ago, NAS Gone to Paradise said:

Odds are she make far more in Australia, than in the WNBA.

She should move there...$36k is pretty bad. I get it she is still getting to play a game she loves but a recent college grad in business would be making more. 

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

1 hour ago, NewEnglandBull said:

She should move there...$36k is pretty bad. I get it she is still getting to play a game she loves but a recent college grad in business would be making more. 

She can always go back to business (c.f. LRS), I'm glad she's having success doing something she loves. 

Oz would be awesome too (no pun intended), I lived in Melbourne for a while, and that place rocks when it comes to sports.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,686
  • Days Won:  108

7 hours ago, BrassBulls12 said:

http://www.blackenterprise.com/wnba-salaries-nba-salaries-earn/ 

"While all ballers dream of one day playing professionally, the average WNBA rookie can expect to earn a disappointing $36,500 for the year, and WNBA players with at least three years of experience earn a minimum of $55,000 per year. Overall, the average WNBA player is paid around $72,000."

"Nneka Ogwumike, the reigning WNBA MVP, who is one of the highest paid WNBA players, earned a mere $95,000 in 2016—the maximum salary in the league."

This would suggest around 36,000.  

She's a 3rd year player. Wouldn't that put her at $55k?

• Topic Count:  86
  • Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Good job Courtney

8 hours ago, NewEnglandBull said:

The WNBA season is 3 or 4 months. 

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

She's a 3rd year player. Wouldn't that put her at $55k?

Yeah I wasn't sure if it the pay raise came before or after the third year. Either way, its peanuts for a professional athlete playing at the top level.