• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball Next Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

Sheer numbers id imagine have the most to do with it. A lot of colleges have baseball programs that can produce MLB talent and High schools are also in the mix. A few picks in the later rounds are favors as well and might not be so much about the scouting report, as those picks aren't really expected to sign anyway. Plus with guys like Genord, you can draft next year and pay him less because he wont have any leverage. 

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

It's DEFINITELY great to have Genord's power still in the lineup. That's a huge plus for next season. If Chatfield can figure it out on a consistent basis, that could be a potent power duo in the middle of the lineup.

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  348
  • Days Won:  0

14 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Sheer numbers id imagine have the most to do with it. A lot of colleges have baseball programs that can produce MLB talent and High schools are also in the mix. A few picks in the later rounds are favors as well and might not be so much about the scouting report, as those picks aren't really expected to sign anyway. Plus with guys like Genord, you can draft next year and pay him less because he wont have any leverage. 

I get the sheer numbers part, but it's crazy to think Genord's not one of the top 1,200+ draft eligible players. Just look at his numbers vs Alec Bohm from Wichita St, the kid who went #3 overall.

Genord .306BA 16HR 53RBI .633SLG

Bohm .339BA 16HR 55RBI .625SLG

Not to mention Genord put those numbers up in 10 less games started and 44 less At Bats.

Obviously, I understand there are many other factors that in play, it just perplexes me in this one instance.

Edited by goldenbrahm1996
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Genord is no Bohm.  Did we ever find out why he was suspended for 5 games earlier in the year?  Could be a factor?

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

22 minutes ago, goldenbrahm1996 said:

I get the sheer numbers part, but it's crazy to think Genord's not one of the top 1,200+ draft eligible players. Just look at his numbers vs Alec Bohm from Wichita St, the kid who went #3 overall.

Genord .306BA 16HR 53RBI .633SLG

Bohm .339BA 16HR 55RBI .625SLG

Not to mention Genord put those numbers up in 10 less games started and 44 less At Bats.

Obviously, I understand there are many other factors that in play, it just perplexes me in this one instance.

Those ten less games makes Bohm's .339 look better too, but Bohm went high because of his defensive abilities as well as his hitting. He will move to first and be much better suited, although some speculate that he could hang in at third in the right situation. A lot more versatile of a player considering that I'm not so sure that Genord is a catcher anymore. Im glad he will return and hopefully be an all conference clean up hitter again for us. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

I'm sure Genord's off the field stuff played a part but he is more of a DH type than anything else and that will certainly hold him back.  He played first base but he is not exactly Don Mattingly over there and does not look all that comfortable playing the field.

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

Interesting development: Good source just told me that USF signee and Brewers draftee Pablo Garabitos probably won't attend USF OR sign with Milwaukee and is likely to go JUCO.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

48 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Interesting development: Good source just told me that USF signee and Brewers draftee Pablo Garabitos probably won't attend USF OR sign with Milwaukee and is likely to go JUCO.

Makes him eligible for the draft again next year

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

On 6/7/2018 at 10:58 AM, chapelbull said:

Genord is no Bohm.  Did we ever find out why he was suspended for 5 games earlier in the year?  Could be a factor?

Rumor I heard was wacky tebacky