• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball Next Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Thought this was an interesting read on guys who are drafted multiple times.

http://thecomeback.com/theoutsidecorner/2015-articles/draft-pick-can-lose-says-no.html

Essentially, what this shows is what agents have always known. Players drafted within the 20 rounds are generally going to be treated with greater priority by the drafting team than those picked in the final 30 rounds, so there is little reason not to sign if chosen. These players guarantee at least a chance to prove themselves simply by joining a Major League franchise and remove the small risk of not being drafted again or the large risk of hurting their own stock with injury or poor play.

For those drafted in the final 30 (now 20) rounds, the opposite is true. There is very little risk of not getting drafted again once your name makes it onto the board and chances are you will be chosen much higher the second time around. In addition to the greater money allotted for higher rounds, low round players are often overlooked and, in the case of high school seniors, playing a few years of college could actually help not only get you drafted higher, but will help you move through the minor league system faster as well.

Edited by JTrue

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,669
  • Days Won:  108

10 hours ago, Brad said:

I've said this on here before, my dad was an MLB scout for about 20 years.... 

He's been retired about 20 years.  Back then, they only "paid" those with NCAA eligibility remaining.  A graduating senior ended up a little lighter in the wallet.

I don't know that it pertains today.  I think it probably does and when combined with those that want to go pro, likely no better time than now.

The couple of parents that I've met over the years have echoed this. If you are thinking of being a pro, after your junior year is your best bet. I'm sure there are exceptions but I think we lose a big chunk of this team. 

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

1 hour ago, Bourbon Bull said:

The couple of parents that I've met over the years have echoed this. If you are thinking of being a pro, after your junior year is your best bet. I'm sure there are exceptions but I think we lose a big chunk of this team. 

IMO, baseball has the fairest system for kids.  If you're good enough, you can come out from HS.  You know your actual draft position before you have to decide whether to go to/stay in college or come out.  It's a model I think the NBA should adopt.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

10 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

IMO, baseball has the fairest system for kids.  If you're good enough, you can come out from HS.  You know your actual draft position before you have to decide whether to go to/stay in college or come out.  It's a model I think the NBA should adopt.

I agree here.

I'll also add that baseball's minor league system plays a big role in why their system works. It doesn't matter if your 16 or 24, you are going to get time time develop and adjust to being a pro before you are expected to preform. 

4 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

I agree here.

I'll also add that baseball's minor league system plays a big role in why their system works. It doesn't matter if your 16 or 24, you are going to get time time develop and adjust to being a pro before you are expected to preform. 

The NBA has their G-league now.

26 minutes ago, Apis Bull said:

The NBA has their G-league now.

They do, but it isn't used nearly the same. I don't follow the NBA close enough to know for sure but I think most careers go there to to die rather than to be developed. It certainly isn't used mid season the way MiLB is. 

17 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

They do, but it isn't used nearly the same. I don't follow the NBA close enough to know for sure but I think most careers go there to to die rather than to be developed. It certainly isn't used mid season the way MiLB is. 

I agree that they don't use it the same way, I was just pointing out that they do have the infrastructure in place to model it similar to MLB

1 minute ago, Apis Bull said:

I agree that they don't use it the same way, I was just pointing out that they do have the infrastructure in place to model it similar to MLB

There is a foundation is place for sure. 

• Topic Count:  351
  • Content Count:  4,067
  • Days Won:  56

I gotta believe Perez, Villar and Genord are locks to sign pro. If we keep Chatfield, Montes, Dietrich, Phillips, Dutka then there's at least a base to work with for next year that won't require a complete rebuild. That may be the best case scenario.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Perez is probably gone, especially after reading his tweets. Villa probably has more value than Genord, based on his position. Would not surprise me if they both go. Who knows on Chatfield. He might be kicking himself for turning down his original draft slot after HS and just wants to get the hell out. He might also be steaming and want to prove something after 3 years of underachieving. I love Montes, but if Merrell isn't projected to be able to stick at SS, I don't see how he can be a pro SS. That means he's a 2B, which hurts his value, somewhat. Dutka is a .300 hitter in one year at this level and already a 2B. If Dietrich gets drafted and signs, I'll make a $50 donation to the baseball team in TBP's honor. He hit .271 this year with 1 HR and that was insanely better than his previous two seasons.

And I'm not saying none of these guys will sign, but I don't think outside of Shane and Perez, any of them gets drafted high enough to make it a slam dunk. But if a guy gets picked in the 37th round and wants to sign for $5k, there's really nothing anyone can do about it. He's already decided he's gone.

Edited by JTrue
  • Upvote 1