• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

• Men's Basketball
    Great Season Bulls!
    nit3.jpg

Sun 3/24, 7:30 pm ESPNU

1 2 Final  
    VCU 32 38 70  
    Bulls 30 35 65  
    📻 Listen 📊 Live Stats 📺 ESPNU  
    Prediction Contest - In Game Thread 
    Last:  Romped over UCF 83-77

Baseball Next Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

Losing

Shane - maybe his late season slide in the draft means he goes second round and he gets pissed, decides he's going to come back and shove it up everyone's asses...

Pete - solid #2, going to be missed as well, but he has no option of coming back no matter what

Duke Stunkel - well above average, but not necessarily a difference maker

Perez - maybe... though I doubt he's too high a draft pick to make it a no-brainer, but might be advised that he isn't going to improve his draft position even if he comes back

Coming Back

Everyone else and DJ Roberts is back after his injury. Arm trouble usually takes 18 months recovery time, so he would be on schedule to come back for next season like Shane did last year. 

Biggest question mark is going to be the starting rotation. Theoretically, Sullivan just became the staff ace. Wisely is 2/3 with Roberts taking the other spot. Stuart locks down mid-week spot and long relief, spot start in a tourney. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,325
  • Content Count:  96,791
  • Days Won:  468

I'm glad you posted this....

You don't think our junior laden roster will have position players more drafted?  Guys like Genord, Villar had some big numbers.

We have a number of young pitchers, but you're right, Sullivan shapes up to be the #1.

I know what happens out of high school has no effect when you complete your junior year of college, but I posted this in the MLB draft thread in the Baseball Club for those at all curious....

1 minute ago, Brad said:

From back in the high school days:

McClanahan - Selected in the 26th round of the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft by the New York Mets

Genord - Selected in the 19th round of the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers

Chatfield - Selected in the 23rd round of the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft by the San Diego Padres

Zech - Selected in the 15th round of the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft by the Los Angeles Dodgers

Montes - Selected in the 35th round of the 2015 MLB Amateur Draft by the Washington Nationals

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Shane is going upper half of 1st round and getting a pay day.  His late season "swoon" takes him from top 3-8 to 10-15 probably.  And I think we will  lose some of those position players to the draft.

I think Hager could find himself in the weekend rotation as well. Curious to see how Ragsdale, Hoffman, and some of these other young pitchers develop between now and next season

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

1 minute ago, chapelbull said:

Shane is going upper half of 1st round and getting a pay day.  His late season "swoon" takes him from top 3-8 to 10-15 probably.  And I think we will  lose some of those position players to the draft.

I think Hager could find himself in the weekend rotation as well. Curious to see how Ragsdale, Hoffman, and some of these other young pitchers develop between now and next season

I got a feeling Hoffman is the one who can make a big move next year. Looking forward to watching him develop.

5 minutes ago, chapelbull said:

Some lists have Shane as low as 20 now...once Top 5.  We'll see.  I hope #1.  Nothing against him.

Ragsdale went in today (third appearance in the Regional, I think) and struck out the side...let's see more.

Yager?  Because, I think so too.  Almost added him to my comment of young pitchers.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

7 minutes ago, Brad said:

Some lists have Shane as low as 20 now...once Top 5.  We'll see.  I hope #1.  Nothing against him.

Yeah, maybe I should have said 12-20.  Either way, I'm pretty sure he goes 1st round and he signs no matter what.  He added zeroes to his contract either way.

And yes, I meant Yager. 

Edited by chapelbull

The rub with our position players is, once you get out of the top 5 rounds, it’s a numbers game. Whether the player thinks he can improve his position next year. Whether he just wants to start getting paid. Then it comes down to draft money pool for the team. They might lose a high school guy and have money burn to sway a player from coming back. 

Based on stats, none of our position guys should get drafted high enough to leave. But someone will.

Edited by JTrue

They typically will get better offers as juniors than as seniors, as I recall.

Eh...sometimes because you’re thinking they have leverage, but not always. I wouldn’t say that’s a hard rule.