• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Baseball Next Year

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,183
  • Days Won:  56

3 hours ago, JTrue said:

Perez is probably gone, especially after reading his tweets. Villa probably has more value than Genord, based on his position. Would not surprise me if they both go. Who knows on Chatfield. He might be kicking himself for turning down his original draft slot after HS and just wants to get the hell out. He might also be steaming and want to prove something after 3 years of underachieving. I love Montes, but if Merrell isn't projected to be able to stick at SS, I don't see how he can be a pro SS. That means he's a 2B, which hurts his value, somewhat. Dutka is a .300 hitter in one year at this level and already a 2B. If Dietrich gets drafted and signs, I'll make a $50 donation to the baseball team in TBP's honor. He hit .271 this year with 1 HR and that was insanely better than his previous two seasons.

And I'm not saying none of these guys will sign, but I don't think outside of Shane and Perez, any of them gets drafted high enough to make it a slam dunk. But if a guy gets picked in the 37th round and wants to sign for $5k, there's really nothing anyone can do about it. He's already decided he's gone.

If you're right and Shane and AP are the only non-seniors who don't return, it's on Mohl to bring in a couple of game-ready arms and this team is right back in it.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

1 minute ago, Dave_Glaser said:

If you're right and Shane and AP are the only non-seniors who don't return, it's on Mohl to bring in a couple of game-ready arms and this team is right back in it.

Absolutely. That's the good thing about baseball, JuCos are a gold mine and you can absolutely pull a starter from day 1 out of there. But I doubt they're the only two who leave. We'll lose at least 1-2 other players. I screwed up in my opening post about who was coming back. Of course we're going to lose others, it was just more of a "these are the guys who could be coming back since I can't predict who will sign and who won't."

• Topic Count:  963
  • Content Count:  9,765
  • Days Won:  9

Put this on the board, AP, JoeG and Villar are all gone.  OP is delusional if he thinks they are returning.

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  1,081
  • Days Won:  2

Genord and Villar will get drafted but they most likely won't be getting much of a payday if they sign.  

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

9 hours ago, jg233 said:

Genord and Villar will get drafted but they most likely won't be getting much of a payday if they sign.  

They'll more than they are making at USF and get their pro career started.  

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

On 6/3/2018 at 9:53 PM, chapelbull said:

I agree, I think we are in rebuild mode next year.

+1 except I'm not sure its really a rebuild as much as a restock. We have guys coming in that can take the place of players we lose.  Shoes can and do get filled. Im guessing that Villar goes but Im not sold on Genord being snapped up or actually anyone else. Levi Borders was a solid Catcher who hit near .300 with 45 RBIs and 9 HRs his Jr yr and did not get drafted. Now there may be intangible where it was a known thing that Levi was not going to sign and would come back his Sr. year but without that being a fact we have to assume that the bar is higher than that to be drafted. 

Definitely gone now are Shane, Pete and Duke. Possibles are still Perez, Villar and Genord.  We obviously also need to keep an eye on our committed HS players as well.

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

3 minutes ago, cophbulls said:

+1 except I'm not sure its really a rebuild as much as a restock. We have guys coming in that can take the place of players we lose.  Shoes can and do get filled. Im guessing that Villar goes but Im not sold on Genord being snapped up or actually anyone else. Levi Borders was a solid Catcher who hit near .300 with 45 RBIs and 9 HRs his Jr yr and did not get drafted. Now there may be intangible where it was a known thing that Levi was not going to sign and would come back his Sr. year but without that being a fact we have to assume that the bar is higher than that to be drafted. 

Definitely gone now are Shane, Pete and Duke. Possibles are still Perez, Villar and Genord.  We obviously also need to keep an eye on our committed HS players as well.

What has you convinced Duke is a definite and Perez is not?

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  417
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

Just now, JTrue said:

What has you convinced Duke is a definite and Perez is not?

Duke is a Sr right? 

1 minute ago, cophbulls said:

Duke is a Sr right? 

Yes

I think the only way Perez, Villar, Genord are back is 1) they don't get drafted, 2) they get drafted, have an extremely overvalued opinion of themselves, 3) love the college experience so much they want to come back for their senior year, 4) don't want to play pro ball.

Personally, I think #1 is the only possibility and I don't think that happens.  But who knows.