• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Can Battle or McCloud Challenge?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508
  • Days Won:  21

8 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

It appears he turned out to be a fine QB (didn't he get a combine invite?) and if Kean or O are as good as him we should be okay.

He was not ready to start his freshman year.  He should have had the opportunity to redshirt and develop physically.   He was 6'4 185 pounds and had only played QB for 2 years, he actually didn't start playing football until his 11th grade year.  He could end up being the next Marino or something... but even he said he wasn't ready.  The comment wasn't so much aimed at Whites talent, it was more directed at the fact that we didn't have any talent at QB so  we were forced to start a true freshman at QB.   I don't know if White got a combine invite, he deserves one though.   So like I said, I'm reminded how White came to start at QB his freshman year.  If we see a true freshman QB starting this season, we won't win 5 games.

Edited by Calibull

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

49 minutes ago, Calibull said:

He was not ready to start his freshman year.  He should have had the opportunity to redshirt and develop physically.   He was 6'4 185 pounds and had only played QB for 2 years, he actually didn't start playing football until his 11th grade year.  He could end up being the next Marino or something... but even he said he wasn't ready.  The comment wasn't so much aimed at Whites talent, it was more directed at the fact that we didn't have any talent at QB so  we were forced to start a true freshman at QB.   I don't know if White got a combine invite, he deserves one though.   So like I said, I'm reminded how White came to start at QB his freshman year.  If we see a true freshman QB starting this season, we won't win 5 games.

We didn't do him any favors with the O-Line either. Mike routinely got his ass beat in the pocket and I think that had an effect on him (unsurprisingly)

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  2,508

On 2/23/2018 at 5:35 PM, GoBulls84 said:

We didn't do him any favors with the O-Line either. Mike routinely got his ass beat in the pocket and I think that had an effect on him (unsurprisingly)

Oh gawd... don't remind me of the oline that year.  Though two of those guys are still actually in the NFL.  Reiter and Darrel Williams

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

7 minutes ago, Calibull said:

Oh gawd... don't remind me of the oline that year.  Though two of those guys are still actually in the NFL.  Reiter and Darrel Williams

It was unfortunately just a case of wrong place wrong time for Mike.  He was the best we had at QB but unfortunately he was also not physically or mentally ready to start when he was thrust into the role.   He was a kid that needed a couple of years to get acclimated (the kid was a bean pole but a tough SOB) to the college game before he had any business being on  the field.  We were just so bad a QB we had no choice to play him if we wanted to have a chance to win a few games.  In the end it worked out for everybody as he got to transfer into a great QB system and had a year to just focus on development and we got 3 years of Q.  

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

9 minutes ago, Bull Dozer said:

It was unfortunately just a case of wrong place wrong time for Mike.  He was the best we had at QB but unfortunately he was also not physically or mentally ready to start when he was thrust into the role.   He was a kid that needed a couple of years to get acclimated (the kid was a bean pole but a tough SOB) to the college game before he had any business being on  the field.  We were just so bad a QB we had no choice to play him if we wanted to have a chance to win a few games.  In the end it worked out for everybody as he got to transfer into a great QB system and had a year to just focus on development and we got 3 years of Q.  

Same could be said for Doug Williams and the Bucs. He wasn't ready, but everybody else was even less so.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

5 hours ago, charsibb said:

Same could be said for Doug Williams and the Bucs. He wasn't ready, but everybody else was even less so.

Doug Williams was pretty darn good with the Bucs.  Took them to the NFC Championship game and playoffs three out of four years.  After leading the team to the playoffs in 82 he left for the USFL after Culverhouse low balled him in negotiations.  The team promptly went 2-14.  Williams was a quality starting QB.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

1 hour ago, Who'sYourData? said:
6 hours ago, charsibb said:

Doug Williams was pretty darn good with the Bucs.  Took them to the NFC Championship game and playoffs three out of four years.  After leading the team to the playoffs in 82 he left for the USFL after Culverhouse low balled him in negotiations.  The team promptly went 2-14.  Williams was a quality starting QB.

Don't think char was saying anything less, just that (like MW) he was thrust into battle a little early, had meh numbers his first year, and then became a solid starter.

• Topic Count:  653
  • Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

38 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Don't think char was saying anything less, just that (like MW) he was thrust into battle a little early, had meh numbers his first year, and then became a solid starter.

Zachary.

We could have had Tony Dorsett and Hershel Walker in 77 and 78, but instead we took Doug Williams and Ricky Bell.

During Doug's first season in 1978 he was horrible, ineffective, a joke-around-town, and ultimately injured. Same for Bell. Thank goodness we had good punting.

But in the end, it didn't matter, and wouldn't have mattered who we'd drafted, since the O-line was as holey as swiss cheese. Nobody could have been effective behind that line.

Doug was the best we had, but our best wasn't much that first year. Greatness came later. To think we lost him to the USFL because of Culverhouse's stupid pride.

• Topic Count:  300
  • Content Count:  7,993

8 hours ago, charsibb said:

Zachary.

We could have had Tony Dorsett and Hershel Walker in 77 and 78, but instead we took Doug Williams and Ricky Bell.

The point stays the same but I think you mean Earl Campbell not Hershel Walker.

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489
  • Days Won:  0

On 2/23/2018 at 8:27 AM, Bullrush33 said:

Fun? Have you seen the Half Back Dive yet?

The offensive line has become weaker due to graduation so I'd rather see a bunch of hb dive than fumble, interception, sack...

• Downvote 1