• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Gotta love CFU

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  147
  • Content Count:  19,249
  • Days Won:  255

Just now, chapelbull said:

Copy of the home game?

Now you too can play conference committee from the comfort of your own living room. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

59 minutes ago, ArmyBull said:

I guess I really don’t get what the confusion is.  Anything based off of ranking and/or SOS is going to downgrade the AAC unjustly.  That is really the bottom line.  

So what is the measuring stick you're using to declare the AAC better than coaches, sports writers, the CFP committee, and nearly 100 computers think it is?

Coaches: I guess I can accept it's possible that coaches from the P5 would be biased against the non-P5, but it doesn't explain why the other half of the coaches poll (the coaches from the non-P5 that have a vote) didn't give UCF any respect either. Including other coaches from the AAC.

Writers: I don't doubt at all that ESPN and other media over-hype the P5 and certain teams. But it doesn't mean they're wrong, either. For instance, bacon. Bacon is the thing everywhere these days. People put it on or around or in everything. There's an entire industry of bacon related products. All of that is kind of annoying and probably a bit too much. It's also true that bacon is better than pretty much everything else on Earth. 

the CFP committee: Yeah, they're most likely the ones with the most to gain by keeping the non-P5 down. They don't really give the non-P5 much respect. They also haven't snubbed a non-P5 team, yet. UCF didn't deserve a spot this year, W. Michigan didn't before them.

Computershttps://www.masseyratings.com/cf/compare.htm Are all of these in on the conspiracy? Are there any you trust? What is Jeff Donchess's motivation for hating the AAC, even though he's a UCF graduate? In case you didn't count the number of polls on that page, it was 97. 97 out of 97 computers have us the 6th best conference.

Edited by JTrue
  • Haha 1

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  8,878
  • Days Won:  28

24 minutes ago, JTrue said:

Writers: I don't doubt at all that ESPN and other media over-hype the P5 and certain teams. But it doesn't mean they're wrong, either. For instance, bacon. Bacon is the thing everywhere these days. People put it on or around or in everything. There's an entire industry of bacon related products. All of that is kind of annoying and probably a bit too much. It's also true that bacon is better than pretty much everything else on Earth. 

Analogy of the flippin' month award, I love it! And can follow the relation to it AND I love bacon...win, win.

26 minutes ago, JTrue said:

the CFP committee: Yeah, they're most likely the ones with the most to gain by keeping the non-P5 down. They don't really give the non-P5 much respect. They also haven't snubbed a non-P5 team, yet. UCF didn't deserve a spot this year, W. Michigan didn't before them.

Arguable, unless you're saying this purely on rank & SoS. Their argument has a little grounds, in that they beat the team that beat both the finals teams during the regular season. Can anyone really say they couldn't have beaten UGA or bama? Oh, I really want to say an enthusiastic "never happen", but while I can say that with confidence about W Mich, I couldn't really say that about last year's UCF.

• Topic Count:  399
  • Content Count:  4,679
  • Days Won:  4

4 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Their argument has a little grounds, in that they beat the team that beat both the finals teams during the regular season.

Transitive property doesn't apply to sports. Their resume would have had to hold up on its own w/o the Auburn win. It didn't. 

• Topic Count:  152
  • Content Count:  19,395
  • Days Won:  233

20 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

Analogy of the flippin' month award, I love it! And can follow the relation to it AND I love bacon...win, win.

Arguable, unless you're saying this purely on rank & SoS. Their argument has a little grounds, in that they beat the team that beat both the finals teams during the regular season. Can anyone really say they couldn't have beaten UGA or bama? Oh, I really want to say an enthusiastic "never happen", but while I can say that with confidence about W Mich, I couldn't really say that about last year's UCF.

3 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

Transitive property doesn't apply to sports. Their resume would have had to hold up on its own w/o the Auburn win. It didn't. 

That's the thing people are skipping over. The Auburn win can not be used to justify UCF's place in the final 4.

Here's a question. Outside of Auburn, did UCF have a quality win? I think its debatable at best. Show me which one of the top six in the CFP poll doesn't have a consensus quality win. 

UCF's possible quality wins 

Memphis- debatable (weak if it is your best win)

Maryland- punching bag of the big ten, beaten by Penn state 66-3

Us- no wins over ranked opponents, lost our only two attempts at it. 

Clearly, there's no clear cut quality win here. 

15 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:

No I get it, and it's certainly poor basis for their NC foolishness. It's an after-the-fact rationale anyway, but...it raises a real "what if" scenario in my eyes. The Auburn win tells me that they were good enough to challenge the best (though it pains me to say...), so that's why I'd say it's an arguable point that they didn't deserve a shot.

1 minute ago, raptorcj said:

No I get it, and it's certainly poor basis for their NC foolishness. It's an after-the-fact rationale anyway, but...it raises a real "what if" scenario in my eyes. The Auburn win tells me that they were good enough to challenge the best (though it pains me to say...), so that's why I'd say it's an arguable point that they didn't deserve a shot.

I understand that to a point, but I don't think you can let one Saturday change the perspective of an entire season, and based on their entire regular season, they did not deserve a shot. The Auburn game just one of the "given saturdays" that UCF won, not a metric of their entire season. 

4 minutes ago, BrassBulls12 said:
8 minutes ago, raptorcj said:

I understand that to a point, but I don't think you can let one Saturday change the perspective of an entire season, and based on their entire regular season, they did not deserve a shot. The Auburn game just one of the "given saturdays" that UCF won, not a metric of their entire season. 

Normally I'd be inclined to debate this further based on a season being a collection of "given Saturdays" (ie UGA losing bad to Auburn only to stomp them later), but I'm stopping here since I feel dirty enough for the arguments I've already made in their favor.

"They decidedly did not deserve a shot."

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  7,683
  • Days Won:  17

Under the current 4 team playoff format they do not have an argument.  Not even after the fact with the Auburn win