• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Pre-Football Bulls: What was it like for you?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

I grew up a Gator fan.  I graduated from USF in the spring of 97 and I dropped UF as soon as USF got a team.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  280
  • Days Won:  1

I got to USF in the summer of 1996

The one big thing, was that there was NO USF merchandise anywhere other than that tiny bookstore back near the post office. Who remember's that?

As a matter of fact, at orientation, they told us in 1995 that they were going to be starting the USF football team in 1997

I miss how "open" the football team was back then, they lived in Fontana, many of the original football players used to play intramural sports! Sean Hay was on my softball team, so was Jason Butler, and many others played intramural softball too. 

And omfg could those guys mash a softball! Jason Butler was one of the hardest hitting 

As the team got more and more serious, you wouldn't see the players as much. Curfews, they were really isolated.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

1 hour ago, 79 Bull said:

Where did you find that photo, so awesome.  That's back in the day when Phillips Field was also used for stock car racing during the Florida State Fair when it was on UT's campus.

Hanging on the wall at Jay Mize's Irish 31 in Hyde Park ..... Brought back a ton of memories. Saturday nights at Phillips Field and a stop by Krispy Kreme on the way home.

• Topic Count:  571
  • Content Count:  2,816
  • Days Won:  15

I came to USF in the fall of 1989. I was a Dolphins and Organge Bucs fan, so that helped with the football void. Basketball was king on campus. I remember being star-struck when I saw Dobras at the Wednesday flea market. :D

I went to both uf and FSU games, and then became a big FSU fan. I remember driving up for the FSU-Miami game and everyone on the road was going like 95 mph, so cops couldn't really do anything but watch on the side of the interstate.

USF football seemed like some kind of distant wish that was too big and too far away at that time.

• Topic Count:  96
  • Content Count:  4,078
  • Days Won:  14

A little something to add.  Graduated in 91, but went back to get a 2nd degree at night so I was around the campus until ‘95.   I remember the tailgate for the first game in ‘97.   We were so pumped, we watched Rudy the night before.  I was trashed at the tailgate and loudly predicting that someday the program would grow to play (and beat) Norte dame.  Pretty cool when it happened 14 years later.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Didn't really need a football fix, got plenty of sports going to watch baseball and basketball games on campus.  I did essentially adopt FSU football when Bowden was there and made things fun.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

You should appreciate this ...

5a2ab6cd74ff2_UTSpartansPhillipsFieldsmall.jpg.fc7b83a315c22c295b4d4093cd2ff189.jpg

I honestly had never heard of Delta State and I have lived all other and work in academia. DSU is div 2 football school in MS. They are still playing so even though they were a homecoming opponent they lasted longer than the host team. 

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,738
  • Days Won:  425

45 minutes ago, NewEnglandBull said:

I honestly had never heard of Delta State and I have lived all other and work in academia. DSU is div 2 football school in MS. They are still playing so even though they were a homecoming opponent they lasted longer than the host team. 

Point of order, Delta State wasn't the Homecoming opponent, Appalachian was, who I assume is currently Appalachian State and also outlasted the host team.

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

23 minutes ago, Triple B said:

Point of order, Delta State wasn't the Homecoming opponent, Appalachian was, who I assume is currently Appalachian State and also outlasted the host team.

Yep you are right...saw that wrong. They went from Delta State to FSU in one week. Looks like as SEC end of year schedule (of course FSU was not all that great back then either). 

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,357
  • Days Won:  5

I was finishing my bachelors degree in summer C class. We got 5 mill insurance money and the BUZZ was real in 1995.