• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Mitch Wilcox

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  961
  • Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

As someone already said, for the amount of catches he has he fumbles way too much.  I can think of 3 in the last 15 games.  The one against the Tinmen, the one against the Gamecocks, and the one against Navy right before half on the one yard line.  In those 15 games how many catches has he made?  12?  15?  He might have the highest fumble rate of any receiver ever.  He's a good player when he hangs on to the ball and we'll need him going forward, but if I had my choice throw it to Dillon more.  I don't recall him ever fumbling 

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

1 hour ago, JoeB said:

As someone already said, for the amount of catches he has he fumbles way too much.  I can think of 3 in the last 15 games.  The one against the Tinmen, the one against the Gamecocks, and the one against Navy right before half on the one yard line.  In those 15 games how many catches has he made?  12?  15?  He might have the highest fumble rate of any receiver ever.  He's a good player when he hangs on to the ball and we'll need him going forward, but if I had my choice throw it to Dillon more.  I don't recall him ever fumbling 

Just like our bad special teams and penalties caught up to us, his weakness of ball control caught up to him.

It's really a lesson to coaches that you have to fix chronic issues. Wins against bad teams can poorly wallpaper over your issues but the issues do remain.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

14 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I don’t feel bad for him. He fumbled a football. He didn’t run over a kid or contract a life threatening disease.

Thanks for the contrition Mitch but you have your whole life ahead of you.

Ooh, so tough.  Much too macho to have compassion for someone that was clearly upset at a mistake he made.  

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

On 11/24/2017 at 5:28 PM, NCBull said:

No burden.  Tough luck but it wasn’t on him.  Special teams lost this game at the end.

Team sport - team loss, not just one special teams TD or play. 

• Topic Count:  1,207
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Even if he hadn't fumbled, we still had a long way to go for a game tying TD in a short period of time.

Frankly, the earlier bad pass by Flowers to him (I believe) over the middle probably would have gone for a TD. That was the same bad pass, on the exact same play, in the Tulsa game, which also probably would have been a TD, if it had been thrown better.

There are a number of other "goat" plays that we could blame for the loss.

The back breaker was really the kick off return for a TD. So, all of those guys are equally guilty, if not more so.

Good luck to Mitch in the future.  

• Topic Count:  584
  • Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

14 hours ago, brybull1970 said:

I don’t feel bad for him. He fumbled a football. He didn’t run over a kid or contract a life threatening disease.

Thanks for the contrition Mitch but you have your whole life ahead of you.

Still have to feel bad he was taking it so hard - lots of things contributed to us losing this game. Lots of things contributed to us almost winning as well. In hard fought losses (of all types) it is a tough but important lesson to let things you could've/should've done go!

Best of luck to Mitch Wilcox - far greater person who takes these things overly hard than overly light.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,570
  • Days Won:  423

8 hours ago, USF_Grouper said:

Still have to feel bad he was taking it so hard - lots of things contributed to us losing this game.

Anybody with any kind of a competitive spirit, team mentality probably would have taken it the same way at that point in time...

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,012
  • Days Won:  469

3 hours ago, Triple B said:

Anybody with any kind of a competitive spirit, team mentality probably would have taken it the same way at that point in time...

Certainly.  

And it was his mistake that took away any hope of winning.  

The fact it wasn’t the only mistake does not cure all. 

I was at a high school basketball game this weekend when, in a tie game, a player fired up a 3 with 15 seconds left.  Missed. Rebounded by opponent and time out called with 7 seconds left. They got the ball down court and scored, winning by two. 

They never should have had a chance to win in regulation. The kid that shot the 3 made a horrible, unexplainable gaffe.  

The coach made him feel better by telling the rest of the team that it didn’t cost them the game, that they missed plenty of FTs that could have made a difference.  

The kid was still distraught.  He knows he cost his team “a chance” and Wilcox knows that too.  

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

1 hour ago, Brad said:

Certainly.  

And it was his mistake that took away any hope of winning.  

The fact it wasn’t the only mistake does not cure all. 

I was at a high school basketball game this weekend when, in a tie game, a player fired up a 3 with 15 seconds left.  Missed. Rebounded by opponent and time out called with 7 seconds left. They got the ball down court and scored, winning by two. 

They never should have had a chance to win in regulation. The kid that shot the 3 made a horrible, unexplainable gaffe.  

The coach made him feel better by telling the rest of the team that it didn’t cost them the game, that they missed plenty of FTs that could have made a difference.  

The kid was still distraught.  He knows he cost his team “a chance” and Wilcox knows that too.  

This.  Nobody is going to be harder on Wilcox about this than Wilcox.....

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

Hope this provides motivation to correct his fumbleitus. He sounds like a good kid who works hard.