• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

How hard is it to change

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  194
  • Days Won:  1

3 hours ago, Wildrover said:

your system?  I'm not saying this out of harsh condescension but as a serious question.  I remember the Dolphins a few years back were having a tough time with everybody.  They took a hard look at themselves and said we need to get the ball in the hands of our best players.  this led to the development of the wildcat IIRC.   And didn't this come to jesus moment happen after the season started?  Anyway,  you have to give Taggert some credit here as well.  He tried to put his system in place and it almost cost him his job.  It wasn't until he changed it to fit the strengths of his players did it not only save his job,  it got him a better paying, higher profile one.  It did take a couple of seasons though didn't it?  Why would a head coach be so stubborn when it comes to 'systems' and their attachment to them? 

I guess the immediate answer would be that changing schemes every year is too much work and arguably too much work to be done successfully every year but I'm not sure I buy that.  Teams change schemes all the time when a new coach comes in.  If the group of players can a learn a whole new scheme in the off season why can't the coaching staff?   

Change was hard even for Taggart because of ego. It was only until Harlan stepped in and he was a loss away from losing his job that he changed. And Taggart was a coach that didn't have nearly as "credentialed" of a career as Strong. If you think drastic and sweeping changes will be made, it will take a serious beat down on the field before that happens. For instance if we end up losing to a team like...oh I don't know.... UCF by 30 plus then we would probably see change. But by then it would be too late. That's how coach and athletic management works unfortunately. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  55
  • Content Count:  6,740
  • Days Won:  17

12 minutes ago, SoFlo All Day said:

Change was hard even for Taggart because of ego. It was only until Harlan stepped in and he was a loss away from losing his job that he changed. And Taggart was a coach that didn't have nearly as "credentialed" of a career as Strong. If you think drastic and sweeping changes will be made, it will take a serious beat down on the field before that happens. For instance if we end up losing to a team like...oh I don't know.... UCF by 30 plus then we would probably see change. But by then it would be too late. That's how coach and athletic management works unfortunately. 

Truth.

The signs were there all season but we won so no need for them to challenge their conceptions. A last second loss will not cause them to be introspective either. They need a career endangering event to make them change.

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,144
  • Days Won:  39

Willie was darn near getting fired until he did.  

• Topic Count:  25
  • Content Count:  314
  • Days Won:  0

Sad we can all see the problems but the man in charge can't/(won't?)..

I doubt the argument that 'the players aren't executing' is an excuse anymore. 

By the way, saw our 1st pass over the middle that I've seen in about 3 weeks. First down to MVS. Sooo much that we could do to challenge a defense. 

• Topic Count:  61
  • Content Count:  2,354
  • Days Won:  4

We are just hiding the playbook until we get to the Bad Boy Mowers Gasparilla Bowl in St. Petersburg, FL. Gilbert will finally release the hounds against FAU.

Our team is going to be pumped to get to visit St. Petersburg, FL.

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Shouldn't be that hard... first drive of the second half is a very successful offense for us (swing passes, get the TE involved, and run up the middle AFTER the defense is concerned about giving up a big play on the outside). On top of that, have QF pull the read a few more times and we're all set (again, no facts here, but, I honestly think he has been told to hand off unless there is absolutely no one giving him a second thought). Saw someone mentioned in the in-game-thread that they talked to Q's uncle and that CCS is holding him back for fear of injury... I am not one for saying "who cares, if he gets injured, it is what it is"... but, shouldn't that be his decision? I truly feel that the kid had a legit shot to be invited to the heisman ceremony this year if he had improved even marginally on what he did last year, but, the "fear of injury" has held him back, probably cost him a lot of money, and held the team back.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

Flowers needs to play the game wide open and not slide after every run.  If he gets hurt, it's unfortunate but you deal with it and move on.  Quinton got banged up a few times and came back strong.  Came back after the hamstring against Navy and took it to the house on the first play from scrimmage.  He's a tough kid that rarely takes a big hit.  Let him play.

Playing scared and conservative is not a winning recipe.

• Topic Count:  1,586
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

Just now, El_Toro_86 said:

If he gets hurt, it's unfortunate but you deal with it and move on. 

That's easy for you to say.

• Topic Count:  263
  • Content Count:  24,750
  • Days Won:  87

You guys realize we're talking about a coach who thought first down runs up the middle that were getting stopped for 2-5 yard losses was "taking what the defense gives you."  

He ain't gonna change nothin'.  Mark it down.