• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

HB Dive or Option

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  930
  • Days Won:  0

Rewatching the game right now.  Are a lot of these HB dive plays actually RPO plays or regular option plays.  So far most of them look like there is at least 1 other option besides the dive.  I'll keep watching...

But is it at all possible that flowers is not making great reads that lead to bad HB dives vs. whatever the other option is or if RPO the receivers aren't getting open for the Pass Option?

• Topic Count:  84
  • Content Count:  1,180
  • Days Won:  1

I'm not convinced Q is actually reading the play. I think it is a predetermined dive/keeper/etc

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  930
  • Days Won:  0

19 minutes ago, USF Bulls Football said:

I'm not convinced Q is actually reading the play. I think it is a predetermined dive/keeper/etc

I'm inclined to think this is true. But he does hold on to the ball in the chest of the RB like he has the option to pull it on almost all of the runs up the middle so far.  Just an observation that may explain at least a little of the runs up the middle.  

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215

Traditional read option. Watch the backside end that's usually a good indicator. Also keep an eye on Billy Atterbury before saying Q made the wrong read. Went back and watched he line play and he played pretty poorly against Tulane. 

• Topic Count:  161
  • Content Count:  560

9 hours ago, beefy620 said:

I'm inclined to think this is true. But he does hold on to the ball in the chest of the RB like he has the option to pull it on almost all of the runs up the middle so far.  Just an observation that may explain at least a little of the runs up the middle.  

Q is an awesome running QB and we would be nowhere without him. But just imagine if he could run the read option like Cam or Vince Young back in the day. My hunch is we would be talking about one of the greatest dual threat QBs of all time. Does Gilbert teach the read option? Seems like his strength is teaching passing/footwork/throwing fundamentals. Imagine Q getting coached at Auburn for example, he would destroy the SEC (except Bama). For those that don't think Q could play QB in the SEC look at how he destroyed South Carolina in last years bowl game. Of course he needs to be in the right offense. 

My sense is when the game is on the line, Q is going keep the ball and run, even if they call a dive. His will to win is something that's not talked about but the guy is super competitive. He's headbutting the guy from Temple because he mouthed off about last years game. He's got moxie and the team feeds off it. 

I'm also going on record that Q is going to be a late round draft pick of the Patriots next year. He's going be like Edelman or Amendola on steroids (although I think those munchkins are juicing anyway).

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I have actually wondered if these are read-option plays, but, Q has been told that it is more of a 75% run play and only to pull the ball if he has a sea of green grass in front of him. Either way, I agree with Atlanta, when a game gets tight, Q's will to win is going to make all the difference.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  13
  • Content Count:  307

Many of the plays are RPO, but we are purposefully choosing not to read it as well. Again why use something that you don't have to. That bag of tricks is much more effective when Q pulls it out for the first time and runs. Think ECU when he walked into the endzone untouched. Then once the defense sees that and adjusts to stay home, now he pulls it out and flips it to the outside wr. Finally now the defense thinks its seen everything, you've got him, you've got him, you go back to that original play and let the RB keep it because without all that extra help defense its an easy 5 yards and if someone misses a tackle then its a 45 yd TD. Rinse and repeat. 

Its really not that hard to see how 1 play can be all you need to beat a defense and that's without changing the blocking scheme.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,688
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, Orlando Bull said:

I have actually wondered if these are read-option plays, but, Q has been told that it is more of a 75% run play and only to pull the ball if he has a sea of green grass in front of him. Either way, I agree with Atlanta, when a game gets tight, Q's will to win is going to make all the difference.

Link?

• Topic Count:  1,518
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

50 minutes ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Link?

Only those who are on the dark web have access...

• Topic Count:  148
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

2 hours ago, Bourbon Bull said:

Link?

You don't want a link to get inside my head... I started the sentence with "I wonder", meaning, it's conjecture on my part, not a statement of fact, or, repeat of something I read.